Sony rep says Heavy Rain graphics “blow Uncharted 2 away”

Saturday, 9th January 2010 18:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

heavyrain

A Sony representative demoing Heavy Rain at CES has stated that “graphically” the game “blows Uncharted 2 away”.

The comment made by the rep was in response to a GamerTell writer asking how the game should be characterized, when compared to an action-oriented game like UC2.

There’s a video proving the comment through the link there, and you can hear it at around the 11 second mark.

The rep goes on to say – more or less – that while both are action games, Heavy Rain is different than Uncharted 2 in the sense that it is more passive in its pacing.

It was announced yesterday, that Heavy Rain would land in the US on February 23, Europe on the 24, and the UK on February 26.

Sony also told VG247 that it’s “still planning” a game demo before release with “more information” coming “soon.”

1. pha1r

I really hope this game isn’t shit.

2. El_MUERkO

sony rep needs a slap

3. Eregol

Every time I see this game, it looks worse and worse.
    For a Sony rep to bad mouth a PS3 exclusive with another PS3 exclusive is just plain stupid.

Also, from what I saw at Eurogamer, Heavy Rain isn’t a patch on Uncharted 2, or God of War 3.

4. SlayerGT

I dont see him to be “bad mouthin” Uncharted so much, seein as Uncharted is easily the best lookin game on the market. I think he’s simply tryin to say this wil be the best lookin out.

5. Bulk Slash

While I do think Heavy Rain looks great, from what I saw in the trailer their claims of crossing the uncanny valley are way off.

Heavy Rain’s characters might look better than the ones in Uncharted 2 (and most of Uncharted 2′s cut-scenes are in-engine but pre-rendered), the environments of Uncharted 2 still look a lot better I think.

6. The Hindle

So much hate for Heavy Rain yet no one actually knows how it plays the full game i mean.

7. onlineatron

@Bulk Slash

Agreed… Heavy Rain looks great a points but there are so many points where it looks ‘video gamey’.

8. Blerk

If it’s not blowing Uncharted 2 away then something’s very wrong, given that Uncharted’s rendered a nice little ‘world’ for you to explore how you wish whereas this is mostly very confined areas and very small scenes.

9. Hero of Canton

‘Explore how you wish’? Did I play a different game called Uncharted 2?

10. Blerk

Don’t look at me funny, I’ve only played about 20 minutes of Uncharted 2. :-D

But the bits I did play had play areas which were far larger, more interactive and more explorable than the bits of Heavy Rain, which were basically little more than single rooms with the odd interactive bit.

That’s not to say that that’s bad, it’s just that… they’re different beasts. HR has much less ‘world’ to worry about, so obviously a lot more of the grunt can go into making the little bit of world it is showing you look all the better.

11. KiiD

Good to hear you guys on top are dumb its a good thing not bad at all hes not trying to bash on Uncharted hes just using it as an example

12. OrphanageExplosion

Heavy Rain played to me like a next generation point and click adventure, with QTEs added. No way is it an action game! To mention it as blowing Uncharted 2 away is way off the mark. It’s not in the same league.

The success of Heavy Rain is all going to come down to how good the story is and how invested in the characters you become.