Razer shows off motion-sensing PC peripheral with L4D2

Friday, 8th January 2010 17:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Razer Sixense Ultra Precise Motion Controller

Razer showed off its new Razer Sixense Ultra Precise Motion Controller to Engadget during CES, demoing the PC motion-sensing peripheral for PC gaming using Left 4 Dead 2.

Using an electromagnetic field sent from a transmitter, the dual-controllers are able to “create a precise replication of on-screen movements and supports gesture-based commands and position in space along six axis”, according to Slashgear

Engadget demoers said it reminded them of a cross between a Wiimote and Natal – only for PCs.

While other sources that demoed it said that there was a bit of a learning curve with it, the motion control was “on point and accurate” with the ability to “rotate and slice a katana blade on screen, successfully decapitating a few zombies in the process” with shooting feeling a bit more intuitive.

While there isn’t a complete product ready or a price point as of yet, the peripheral is expected to be released sometime this year.

ou can watch the demo through the link.

1. Yoshi

Whats with all the linkyness :P

2. Stephany Nunneley

Because WP is a whore sometimes. :-)

3. Mauller

Correct me if I’m wrong but shouldn’t it be axis? I will admit that I’m not sure lol. It seems interesting and like my Wii, would seem fun at first but get boring in the long run.

4. freedoms_stain

Probably the most useful looking motion controller we’ve seen yet.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@Mauller – yeah you’re right. I should probably spell check sources even when using direct quotes like that – but it makes me feel better about myself. ;-)

j/k

6. Mauller

It’s ok, pointing out others mistakes makes me feel better lol. I get so few chances. I’m usually the one in error.

7. loki

Epic shit for epic suck platform

8. Armitage

Well I like the PC. Go on, what’s up with it, then?

9. blackdreamhunk

we all know that loki is jealous, pc gaming being the world best epic platform.

10. McLovin85

Device still lags behind the guy’s waving hand gestures when using the katana, just like Natal. If Sony’s wand thing also lags like that, then they should just give up on motion control for this generation as it’s just so pointless if it’s not 1:1 motion.
    I haven’t had a chance to try out WiiPlus yet. Is that exactly 1:1 or what?