Darksiders post-Christmas release “worked to our advantage”, says THQ

Friday, 8th January 2010 13:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

darksiders4

THQ EVP Danny Bilson has told Industry Gamers that Darksiders benefitted from a post-Christmas release.

“The release date actually worked to our advantage,” said Bilson.

“It tied to our marketing messaging around the apocalypse happening at the start of the new year.

“We are the first major AAA release of 2010 and have come out the gates very strong.”

The Vigil Games-developed apocalyptic title, based on the four horsemen coming to Earth after a wrongly-triggered Armageddon, releases today in the UK for PS3 and 360, with a release in the US earlier in the week.

Catch the first twenty mintues here, and Steph’s interview with David Adams of Virgil here.

Reviews are good for the game. They’re telling you to go buy it. Go do that. We’ll wait.

1. AHA-Lambda

I’m sure releasing on the same day as bayonetta and having no demo doesn’t help though >_>

2. Hunam

I dunno, I’ve been seeing a lot more Bayonetta adverts than Darksiders ads. Plus, how do they know it’s good for them, it’s only just hit the shops.

3. Blerk

It’s been out in the US since Tuesday, so I guess they already know how it’s doing over there.

4. Hunam

Oh right. I never expected Darksiders to do bad to be honest. THQ aren’t the biggest publisher in the world but they seem to have a knack of getting decent sales on most of their games.

5. SplatteredHouse

What’s an EVP? Is this another case of PR man spins PR, because it certainly reads that way.

“we are pleased to see the average Metacritic rating of 85+, which demonstrates broad support by the gaming community.”

Sorry? What? I thought that strong sales reported in your next quarter’s report would be the most strong indicator of that. Metacritic doesn’t tell you what the community thinks, but what the community of gaming writers think of a game.

I don’t believe for a moment that there’s anmything to the claim of the new year tying in to the advertising, but I do agree that getting in early in the new year does generate an advantage, particularly this time, because of the MW2 effect.

6. AHA-Lambda

The sales for this will be interesting, I don’t think they’ll do that well considering the hype machine for this game started about 2 weeks ago :|

Plus no demo, day and date with bayonetta and many people will write it off as a GOW clone on first glance. Not looking good :|