Microsoft Game Room gets trailered, boasts over 1000 games

Thursday, 7th January 2010 04:18 GMT By Nathan Grayson

avatars1b

More news, Microsoft’s CES keynote? Oh no, we couldn’t! But if you insist…

The Game Room’s set to be “the place to relive the glory days of arcade games, with over 1000 games being released throughout the next three years.” Games can be purchased for 240-400 Microsoft Points, or played once for the paltry, arcade-style fee of 40 Points.

It’s out for Xbox 360 and Games for Windows Live this spring.

Microsoft’s released the first trailer of the totally meta Game Room. Check out the game where you play as an Avatar that’s playing old games after the break, courtesy of Joystiq.

1. Joe Anderson (wotta)

Looks a bit like home lol. Looks sweet though.

2. Blerk

Aieee!

3. polygem

yea looks like home. but better imo. i like the bright colors. i also do prefer the xbox avatars over the pseudocool looking home ones. i´m not a big fan of this avatar thing at all but ms seems to make it more fun. if you think of xbl this could also be a very entertaining place because many will start swearing and screaming at each other. i hope they enable some sort of fistfight interaction.

4. Blerk

If it’s a true recreation of the arcade of your youth then you need fag burns on everything, a surly man in a change booth who looks at you as if you’re shit when you ask to change a pound, big gangs of drunken teenagers pushing into the queues and predatory paedophiles standing too close behind you while you’re trying to concentrate on playing.

5. brokenkey

Isn’t this a fancy way of charging people 40points for demos?

6. Detale

Excuse the ignorant PS3 owner, but how much is 40 MS Points in real money then?

7. Gekidami

Well 100 points is about 1.20€/0.85£. Though the minimum you can buy is 500.

8. Johnny Cullen

40 MS points must be about 30p or something roughly around that.

9. Blerk

34pee, according to Microsoft themselves. Although you can usually buy them cheaper elsewhere.

I’m surmising this will work like set-top box ‘pay per play’, though. Rather than 40 points ‘per go’ it’ll be 40 points per session, so you pay 40 and can play as much as you like until you quit (or within the next 24 hours, or something). Still pretty poor value compared to 240 to keep it forever, though.

I hope they shy away from doing ‘any old shit’ and actually do some decent games. I’d be all over a straight arcade emulation of Rainbow Islands, for instance, but have absolutely no interest in the aforementioned Centipede. I also hope you can just play the games without having to do the ‘virtual world’ bollocks.

Have they mentioned if they’ll have achievements?

10. Retroid

Damn it, this actually interests me. Just like the Namco booths in PS Home did in Japan, mind.

So long as the games are cheaper (some of the ports on XBLA going for 800 points took the piss) and I can own them – sod paying for virtual 10ps – then I’m probably going to be its bitch.

11. Psychotext

Basically works out as £2 (240 points) for each game (assuming you just want it on the 360, not on the PC too). I could see myself picking up a few for that.

12. Retroid

I picked up Joust & Robotron for less than £2 each, so yeah :)

13. Detale

That’s actually quite reasonable, I’d be sorely tempted if I actually owned a 360.

14. Blerk

I thought you only had to buy them once and could play them on both platforms, Psycho? Is that not the case?

15. Psychotext

You can do that, but you pay 400 points instead of 240.

16. Blerk

Bugger that, then. MAME it is. :-D

17. Blerk

Incidentally, GamerBytes have much more info on this now.

Confirms achievements, online leaderboards and no online play.

18. Talyis

Why is now everybody is all excited about the thing when HOME has had this for a year now and everyone talks crap about it saying virtual worlds suck and that sort of crap. HOME is actually pretty fun there are a ton of places on there and a lot of stuff to do in them including there own Arcade rooms!

19. Psychotext

Tell me if I’m wrong… but I believe Home has something like 10 arcade games. You want to know why people are excited? It’s about the games.

Hell, I’d wager if Home had more games (and you didn’t need to queue for a lot of them) then people would be far more interested in that too.