Microsoft CES Keynote: 39 million Xbox 360s sold worldwide

Thursday, 7th January 2010 07:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xbox360logo

Microsoft confirmed in its CES keynote last night that over 39 million Xbox 360s have been sold worldwide.

Microsoft president Steve Ballmer delivered the news at the event, where he also said that over $20 billion has been spent on 360 at retail since its launch in 2005.

More than 500 million games have been sold for the system.

During the keynote, Ballmer revealed a new service for 360 known as “Game Room”, which will let you play Arcade games cheaply. It’ll be coming in the spring for 360 and Games for Windows.

Microsoft also announced that Project Natal will launch as soon as the Holidays this year.

1. kdogg

Does that include the ones that have exploded in people’s faces?

2. Gekidami

It sure does, alone with the ones people have rebought to replace them.

3. Blerk

Did they say how many faces had been exploded?

4. yacaman

My buddy bought his third one last year. i dont understand him. We call him Red Ring now. Dumb fanboys. Microsoft should pay people like him, and to top it off, he couldnt get any of his files back……

Love the Wii, and PS3. But mand does Microsoft have Zombie games.
    They say Bill gates bites the staff members fired and the become Zombies.

Poor wife of his has to hide her I phone. Its a shame.

5. Psychotext

What a strange post. lol

6. Blerk

Nurse!

7. RGW1982

Only 5.5 Million Ahead Of PS3, That Gap Will Be Filled By The End Of The Year.. Maybe Even Sooner After The PS3 + GoW 3 Bundles Come Out.

8. Psychotext

You do know that they’ve only technically caught up by somewhere between 0.5m to 1.5m in the three years since the PS3 launched right? What on earth makes you think that they’re suddenly going to be able to sell 5.5m more in a single year?

9. RGW1982

PS3 Exclusives & A Price Drop, Duh.

Games Like GoW 3 & Twisted Metal Will Sell PS3 Like Hot Cakes, PS3 Will Be Ahead Of The 360 By Years End Or Sometime In 2011, SONY Was Right From The Start When They Said The PS3 Would Finish Ahead Of The 360.

10. Blerk

What’s With The Capital Letters?

11. Gekidami

Take each letter and rearrange them, theres a hidden message!

12. Psychotext

“PS3 Will Be Ahead Of The 360 By Years End Or Sometime In 2011″

So which is it? You seemed confident about the outcome, so pick one. :)

13. zoopdeloop

The truth is the same users buying multiple times the same console cause of the RROD.You can’t blame these people completely since they already have a vast library of games which the total value is much higher than buying another 360…off course they could follow the alternative way and sell this library.

Microsoft in my books knows very well how to rip off people’s money and how to sell…that was the plan with their fault from the very beginining.

If this wasn’t the case they could replace or fix RROD 360′s out of warranty even if it means 10 times to the same user…since RROD is their technical fault and not the user’s

14. Psychotext

That doesn’t make a great deal of sense.

RRoD / E74 is covered for 3 years, which means at most you’d have had one machine go out of warranty on you (assuming you bought another one when it died).

Beyond that, the 360 still has the highest attach rate of all the consoles by quite a margin… so if people really are going out and buying multiple machines then in reality the 360′s attach rate isn’t just high, it’s utterly unprecedented.

Don’t get me wrong, there are probably over a hundred thousand machines out there which have been bought because of an out of warranty failure, but people seem to make out that it would be in the millions, when the info we have just doesn’t support it.

15. RGW1982

Psychotext Is A Retarded 360 Fan Boy, Just Ignore The Retard.. Once Retarded Always Retarded & Psychotext Is Just That.

360 Is Doom To Failure & A Nice 3rd Place Finish In Hardware Sales.

16. Psychotext

Once again, that’s a compelling counter argument. You’ve given me a lot to think about, and I thank you for that.

17. reask

@ rgw
    Keep telling yourself that and it might just come true. ;)

18. zoopdeloop

The warranty is covered for 3 years but what happens when some people lose the warranty sheet.I know my best friend had this experience and yet even if he was in warranty and surely they knew it they didn’t replace his RROD 360 cause he didn’t have the sheet,thus he bought another 360.

I’ve heard from people in other countries that the sheet or receipt isn’t needed…and then again in other countries it is needed as proof.

I had replaced my ps3 once and at Sony they didn’t asked me of the receipt or the warranty sheet.They knew i was in warranty terms

19. Psychotext

You don’t need a warranty sheet Zoop. You simply register your console online using its serial number ( https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx?scrx=1 ). Takes about 2 minutes to do.

If you no longer have the receipt as proof of your purchase date then the warranty period will be based on the manufacturing date of the console instead.

20. zoopdeloop

he did that…and they said to him that this isn’t enough or he must wait for many days for them to check on it.But they clearly said they want the receipt or the warranty sheet.I guess it has to do with personel you fall into and not the company itself.

21. Psychotext

You always run the risk of running into some arsehole when you call a company… I have a long and anger filled story about Nintendo which attests to that.

But that’s why you use the online services. Give it a blast with your cupboard dwelling 360. It’ll show you when the standard warranty ends (ended) and the RRoD / E74 warranty is that + 2 years.

22. RGW1982

There’s Nothing To Argue, You’re A Retarded 360 Fan Boy.. Where’s The Arguement Dumb Ass?

23. Psychotext

The quality of your posts continually astounds me. I think I speak for most people who read VG247 when I say that we’re lucky to have you here. You’ve brought a level of intellectualism to the site that was hitherto absent.

24. zoopdeloop

I’ll give it myself a try now that you mention it,just for fun :) …i should have 1 and half year warranty since i already have the console as i recall 1 and a half year.But then again i don’t remember my Live ID at all.

The thing is though that Microsoft should replace RRod 360′s even out of 3 year warranty(some people’s 360 got RROD after the expiration of the warranty)…since it’s their technical well known fault.That is their biggest mistake after the RROD which make people like myself believe that they are cheaters

25. RGW1982

The Fact You Stay 24/7 On This Site Shows You Have No Life.

I’m Gonna Go Out Because Unlike You I Have REAL Friends, You Can Sit There At Your Computer All Day As I’m Sure You Will Because You’re Like The Fat Dork On South Park’s World Of Warcraft Episode.

Sucks To Be You.

26. Psychotext

The thing is though that Microsoft should replace RRod 360’s even out of 3 year warranty(some people’s 360 got RROD after the expiration of the warranty)…since it’s their technical well known fault.That is their biggest mistake after the RROD which make people like myself believe that they are cheaters

No argument, but then there’s always a limit to warranties, even in the case of significant issues with hardware. You simply can’t support something forever because the failure rate naturally increases over time, even for otherwise normal hardware.

For instance, the average failure rate of consumer electronics devices is fifteen percent once they hit between three and four years old. For PCs that rises to nearly thirty percent, and for laptops that rises to over forty percent.

@RGW: Will you please teach me to be cool like you, and have friends, and a life, and everything? I’d be ever so grateful!

27. zoopdeloop

Psycho if my 360 goes RROD after my warranty expires and if i’m interested in a new one you promised me to buy me one eh? :P

28. Psychotext

I’m pretty certain I didn’t say that. :P

29. zoopdeloop

pff Men :D

30. Psychotext

You and Stephany will get along just fine. :(

31. Stephany Nunneley

What dog do I have in this? /lost :-(

32. Psychotext

That would be the “despair at men” dog.

\o/

33. Stephany Nunneley

Oh, well, then, yeah. Pffft. Men. :-D

34. Mike

Hey! I’m a man, goddammit.