Sony: God of War III “only possible” on PS3

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 13:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

godofwarIII3

Sony has said to CVG that God of War III is “only possible” on PlayStation 3.

Claire Backhouse, product manager of Studio Santa Monica’s successful hack ‘n’ slash series in the UK, said that the studio “worked hard to use the power of the PS3 to make GOW3 look amazing and have added features that are only possible with PS3.”

For example, using the High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDRL) technology, the camera – when using Krato’s sightline – will emulate the human retina, causing players to feel a sharp brightness when Kratos exits a dark area and enters a sunlit area, similar to how the human eye would need to adjust.”

The PS3 exclusive is out in March.

1. bxsentinel

here we go again: time for xbox to fire back the only possible line lol

2. Phoenixblight

No shit sherlock. Think that is one of the signs of the apocalypse is Sony makes a game to go multiplatform.

3. Blerk

Stop the presses! :-D

4. datamonkey

Well I know which of my consoles I’ll be playing Bayonetta on!

5. Blerk

Anyone else read the example they give above and think “man, I’ve been sitting here praying that someone would do that for YEARS”?

No? :-D

6. Freek

I think other games have been doing that “bright light when exiting dark areas” thing for a while now.

7. Psychotext

They have… and it makes far more sense in first person games.

8. zoopdeloop

Sony’s quote is true…you’ll see this month ;)

9. The Hindle

This is just hyperbole people all companies do it. Even though i dont doubt for a second Gow 3 will be awesome.

10. evilashchris

It’s true!

Can’t you see?

It’s on a Blu ray disc, the other consoles won’t play them ;)

11. Blerk

Judging from the version I played at the Expo, I’d much rather they’d put more effort into getting the framerate stable than doing fancy human retina simulations.

12. The Hindle

Id imagine they would have fixed the framerate now the E3 code was from january 2009 i think it was the one they showed to the journalists

13. zoopdeloop

@11 the version at the Expo was nothing compared to the final result.The framerate constantly runs at 60fps

14. zoopdeloop

15. Blerk

Well, Dante’s Inferno is basically the same game. It might not have the art style and the characters aren’t as good, but it’s essentially God of War multiplatform.

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Again, company X (Sony) boasting company X’s game (Sony developed) is only possible with company X (Sony). It’s common sense marketing people. Nothing more. Nothing less.

17. Psychotext

Sounds like zoopdeloop works for Sony, what with access to final versions of games and whatnot.

Edit – Scratch that, I just read some of his other posts and it actually sounds more like he wishes he worked for Sony. :D

18. Hunam

I bet the PC could do it. In fact, I bet it could do it better, faster, harder.

19. Phoenixblight

I wouldn’t go that far. I played the demo and its like playing the GOW collection, the graphics look like polished GOW 1 nothing really awe-inspiring and the QTE even suck worse than the original God of War. I am actually disappointed by Visceral’s claims couldn’t even give it atleast half what Deadspace visual could, not even GoW3.

20. NiceFellow

I bet you could do it on a PC and not only that but…

Damn, just looked up – Hunam beat me to it.

Oh well, let me second @18′s wise post.

21. The_Deleted

Emotion Engine.
    ‘s all I’m sayin’.

22. Eregol

@4 Not forgetting PS3 Bayonetta is a Sega handled port.
    If Platinum had undertaken it themselves I’m pretty sure the two versions would have had parity.

23. revolting

I’m fairly sure HDR lighting has been around for yonks on PC. I recall the PC version of Oblivion having it, and nearly blinding me every time I stepped out from a shadowy area into direct sunlight.

I seem to recall Half Life 2 patching it in about 4 years ago too, with that chirch level they released specifically to demo HDR lighting.

24. Morrius

What a non-story. GoW is owned by Sony, of course it’s only possible on their hardware, the licensing agreements dictate that before you get anywhere near the hardware considerations!

25. OlderGamer

“@10
    Funny let’s see when 360 achieves the same quality as this or even U2 to prove these quotes wrong”

But lets be realisitic and come back down to earth a bit. Ok? As of right now niether system can truely out perform the other. I have not once seen a game on my PS3 that blow me away and left me looking funny at my xbox. I have however bought some PS3 games for Xmass this year that I wish I hadn’t. I didn’t like KZ2 and neither did my son whom I bought it for. One of my kids got Sonic for PS3, words fail me how poorly done that was. Just to name a cpl. We have learned not to buy old PS3 games, and to buy new multiplatform games on Xbox. Why?

Because it seems many PS3 games suffer from poor programing. They just feel rushed or unfinished. I am talking about horrible framrates, unrefined control and stuff along those lines. Either the system is crazy hard to program for(and if it , that too is Sonys fault acessible power > raw power no one can tap), or game devs are simply not investing the time and money it takes to make a PS3 game.

Is GoW3 going to be good? My guess is yes. But I could about playing about the same I could care to play the next Halo. Been there and done that … to death. But do folks, and yourself a favor, don’t jump up and shout “Praise the lord” everytime a good PS3 game comes along. It gets old. All of the systems have great games. Just enjoy it.

No need to preach it to others. Besides your not going to convince anyone of anything, and even if you did, what would it matter in the long scheme of things. Plus, why would you think/feel it was your job to convince anyone anyway? Just enjoy the games you enjoy. Of course the same could be said for most enthusiests(myself included) so ..well, um…nothing I guess :)

26. MushroomStamp

@OG, glad to see you guys feeling the same about KZ2 as my son and I did. To much false love to that game.

27. Eregol

I hate all FPSes. So I have no love for KZ at all.

28. Hunam

GoW3 isn’t even that good looking tbh.

29. aprotosis

Like many have said, no one doubts that GoW3 is going to be visually spectacular. It kinda has to be to not be laughed at being an in-house AAA title and all. The example they give though is laughable. They might as well say, “This game is only possible on the PS3… seeing as we made it and own the IP and stuff.”

HDR has been around since like, 2000. It isn’t difficult nor is it really that intensive of a technique as long as you have some video memory to spare. There are even some Gamecube games that used HDR and it has a fixed-function pipeline! If anything HDR is easier on the 360 because you can dedicate more memory to the render passes necessary for modern HDR techniques. Techniques that are easier to implement and more powerful due to the increasing power of DirectX… the graphics backbone that not only powers the PC, but the 360 as well.

30. Eregol

@Hunam
    The demo does have issues, a few low res textures in places and some minor glitching, but other than that, it is visually stunning.
    It’s no Uncharted 2 though.

31. SunKing

Wow, HDR. That was actually news five years ago.

32. Phoenixblight

That and its the same demo as the one shown at E3 so you can’t exactly rely on that to be the FInal Product.

33. zoopdeloop

“Listen old friend, we have been here so many times before, let it go. Besides, my guess is that Xbox 360 won’t have to out perform the PS3 hardware wise. Why? Because once(if) the PS3 starts knocking out games that surpass the Xbox 360, MS will anounce the next Xbox.”

Ps3 already has it’s own games that surpass the 360 (not by far)If the difference between them was as day and night then MS would announce the next Xbox
    Multiplatform games are another story.
    What does a preference in a game “KZ2″ has to do with it’s graphical capabilities and performance that we have yet to see to another platform (excluding PC)?

34. The Hindle

Its just hyperbole again people, all companies do it when they have a major game coming out. Wait till Arron Greenberg statrs hyping Halo again etc

35. zoopdeloop

Sony doesn’t do that anymore.Not like Microsoft when they quote something like this.It’s true.Have you heard this with other titles like Resistance 2 or LBP or Demon’s Souls and other exclusives from Sony?

36. MushroomStamp

All 3 of those titles were non impressive graphically and could be done on just about any platform. Ya gotta stop with the, “sony said it, it HAS to be true”.

37. zoopdeloop

So U2 is possible on another platform right?

38. Hunam

Everything is possible on the PC :)

39. Psychotext

Can you imagine what could be done on a PC if they solely focussed on something like a 5970 with a quad core processor and 4gb of ram? I don’t think I could even picture what they’d be able to achieve.

It’s worth remembering that a modern graphics card like the 5970 on its own is more than ten times more powerful than the CPU & GPU in the PS3 put together.

40. The_Deleted

YAAAAAAAAWN!!!

41. Psychotext

I know PCs are boring, but I didn’t think my post deserved a yawn. :(

42. OlderGamer

“So U2 is possible on another platform right?”

I believe so, yes. The thing that so often gets overlooked with UC2 is that most of the time very little is happening on the screen at once. Very nice to look at. But I believe the games graphics have more to do with game design and Naughty Dog in general then they do with the platform they are on.

And, we are talking about one game. ONE. And the difference between it and the best looking xbox game(you take your pick of that choice) is very minimal. We are not talking about wow factor here. Its not like UC2 is head and shoulders above. It is what it is, a well done game.

If you really want to compare platform graphical benchmarks, and I don’t care enough for it to bother me – either way. You should look at the average games on each platform. Look at Multiplatform games. Look at the collections as a whole. Not simply one game.

As for UC2 its pretty, but imo, it doesn’t do much. Its single player. Has generic 5v5(low) online MP, with small maps. Do I enjoy playing it? No, but thats not my point. Thats my preferance. My point with UC2 is that it is a simple game that focused on graphics. Look at say MAG, tons of people in that game, tons of things going on in that game, very poor/bland graphics. I like MAG btw. I enjoy the chaos. I say it is a trade off. Look at Halo. Low res, very average graphics, four player split screen.

It is a trade off. Somewhere there is a graphical curve. A slider, if you will. On one end is how nice your game can look, on the other end is what your game can do. I would rather have ho-hum graphics with lots of fun things to do in the game. Lets face it, so long as a game doesn’t have glitches, slowdown, tearing, and runs smooth the overwhelming majority of todays games look very nice. Even the MAGs and Halos look good.