Rumour – Treyarch’s next Call of Duty will be more story-centric

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 16:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

platoon

According to Abstract360, the next Treyarch Call of Duty, rumoured to be set in Vietnam, will take more of a story-centric approach.

The site says the game will be inspired by Vietnam war-movies such as Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

Last month, the developer posted a job listing for a COD level designer that would “research subject matter for history and look of the level” efficiently.

And in May last year, Activision was keen on licencing a soundtrack based on around the Vietnam War, between 1959-1975.

Expect the game this year.

1. Bikki

Thank god for no WWII.

2. Patrick Garratt

Please be Vietnam. Please be Vietnam. Please be Vietnam.

3. scuz

treyarch..FUCK OFF.

4. JimFear666

please die treyarch please die treyarch please die treyarch

5. Robo_1

Christ, why the Treyarch hate? World at War was a good title, as was Quantum of Solace.

6. fdelfino

what’s up with treyarch haters? if it’s a good game, then I don’t see the problem.

And If it’s based on Full Metal Jacket, it will fucking rule.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Good.

Cos their last attempt at multiplayer wasn’t very good at all.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

This is good news. Vietnam war done COD style should be kick ass awesome.

9. Doc Robotnik

The ‘Treyarch hate’ is because they are a middle-of-the-road developer that has access to arguably the best FPS franchise in world and proceeds to ‘F’ it in the ‘A’.

WoW and QoS were average, at best. I don’t care about Bond, but if you order the CoD’s by quality, 3 and 5 are right at the bottom, no doubt.

It doesn’t help that they try and hijack IW’s name and credibility to boost their own – See Bowling’s attack on Noah Heller for IW’s take on it – And for further proof, just look at how similar the CoD5 cover is to CoD4. It’s embarassing.

10. Johnny Cullen

While I did think WaW was bollocks for me tbh, I liked QoS a fair bit.

So considering this COD isn’t going to be set in WWII and during Vietnam most likely, I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

11. Goliath

I’m going to go on the record right now and say it; World at War had a better designed and paced single player than the Modern Warfare games. The multiplayer, while it aped what Infinity Ward did with Call of Duty 4, had better designed maps than any of the Modern Warfare games. People’s criticisms rest with the game’s dated setting of World War II but it was a great game.

12. SunKing

Treyarch did a good job with World at War, and I enjoyed their MP much more than I did CoD4′s.

Also, this infighting between the two studios is pathetic. If IW didn’t want “their” franchise compromised then they shouldn’t have got into bed with Activision in the first place.

13. Stephany Nunneley

fdelfino: And If it’s based on Full Metal Jacket, it will fucking rule.

And then I will play the hell out of it. And if it has any reference to R. Lee Ermey in it – I will buy 20 copies and hand em out. Woot.

14. SunKing

I do hope they leave Apocalypse Now! alone, though. Far Cry 2 tried that and failed embarassingly.

15. Doc Robotnik

“People’s criticisms rest with the game’s dated setting of World War II”. No, it doesn’t. Call of Duty 2 is still a better game than 3 or 5 imho.

Cod5 was covered in rent-a-villian bad guys that all had the same few stock animations (especially in the melee sections), and without the campaign co-op (a feature that MW1&2 is desperately missing) it’s a remarkably derivative and dull shooter.

I read this somewhere else once (bless the internet), but I’ll repeat it as my own idea because I can – IW’s game engine is so good, it would be very difficult to make a genuinely bad CoD game. All you’re really doing is creating the sandbox/environment for the player to navigate. All the AI, controller mechanics, texture library and developer tools are already in place.

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

17. Doc Robotnik

“If IW didn’t want “their” franchise compromised then they shouldn’t have got into bed with Activision in the first place.”

Yeah, I suppose they should have foreseen Activision taking over EA as the industry’s new uber-douche, thanks in part to the success of their own franchise!?

18. Doc Robotnik

“I think the bigger question this raises is………what will Infinity Ward do for their follow up…?”

19. Brutane

COD 5 had great MP and Zombies were awesome, SP was weak. Looking forward to thier next game I hope it is like Full Metal Jacket.

20. Redh3lix

The new Medal of Honour due the end of 2010 is going to shit all over the COD series from a great height when it’s released.

21. Michael O’Connor

“Honestly, I think they’ll do MW3. Not because they want to, but because they know Treyarch WILL if they don’t.”

This is, in fact, entirely false. The whole reason there are two development teams working on this franchise is to allow the franchise to be released yearly.

While one team works on one title, the other team works on the other. You can guarantee Treyarch started on their next Call of Duty long before Modern Warfare 2 was released, and there’s almost no doubt that Infinity Ward is already in the pre-production phase of Modern Warfare 3.

22. blackdreamhunk

It’s pc gamers who made the cod series what is the proof it right here!

all the best features of cod came from modders.

I have very little respect for infinty ward! Treyarch seems to be a lot better game devs

23. SunKing

At some point IW must have agreed with Activision that they can use the CoD name as they want. It doesn’t seem conceivable to me that that conversation didn’t take place.

In which case, really, if Activision are using the CoD name in a way that IW don’t like, IW are partly responsible for those turn of events.

24. DUFFKING

Are either IW or Treyarch going to make a game that’s in some way different to the first one at any point in the future, or shall I just play CoD 2 again in November and save myself £50?

25. Ghost_Dog

Despite the fact that the entire Call of Duty franchise is overrated, Treyarch deserve some respect. They are only hired to put out a Call of Duty game in-between the Infinity Ward efforts and do of good job of it.

World at War has the best multiplayer maps in the series.

26. Gekidami

No idea where all the Treyarch hate comes from. WaW was quite decent, infact i preferred its multiplayer over CoD4′s by far.

27. Doc Robotnik

“This is, in fact, entirely false.

Well done MoC. Now tell me that Treyarch wouldn’t be tasked with making MW3 after they finished CoD7 if IW wanted to make a new IP.