Iwata: New Zelda to be out by the end of the year

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 08:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

zeldaartmain

Megaton.

Speaking with a Japanese newspaper The Asahi Shimbun, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has apparently confirmed that the next Wii Zelda will release by the end of the year.

The newspaper, however, didn’t make any mention on if this was a worldwide release or just in Japan.

Back in November, NoA president Reggie Fils-Amie was non-committal on whether or not the game would see 2010.

A reveal at E3 though now seems a lot more certain: producer Eiji Aonuma has said he would like to show the game at the event in June.

The most we’ve we’ve seen of the game thus far is a piece of concept art Shigeru Miyamoto revealed at E3 last year. The one you see above.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. slayernl

OMG DID NOT EXPECT THAT!!!, I thought E3 trailer and than 2011 release…. :D
    wow

2. Johnny Cullen

Metroid: Other M, Mario Galaxy 2 and a new Zelda this year?

Na.

One of them will be delayed… and I have a feeling this will be it.

3. Gekidami

Has it been said if this new Zelda will actually be using a new engine?

4. Blerk

Blimey!

If you have to control Link by moving him around with the pointer, however…. People will die.

5. elronathon

I hope against hope that they pretty much copy & past the sword fighting code and the archery code from Wii Sports Resort…that would be genuinely excellent.

6. Dannybuoy

The only way you’ll get me to buy another Zelda game (and I love Zelda games) is when the wii is replaced with a machine capable of HD graphics. I’m not trolling, I’m just being honest

7. Hero of Canton

Zelda’s traditionally been more popular in the west than the east. There’s no way it’s slipping into 2011 over here. It’s more likely to hit later in Japan.

And yeah, Wii Sports Resort is where people should be looking at how it’s going to control. Wouldn’t entirely surprise me if the Gorons suddenly invented a game remarkably similar to table tennis.

8. The Hindle

I doubt this will happen, seems to good to be true. If it does im going to have to buy a Wii dam

9. Blerk

I’d rather they put more effort into fixing all the things that were wrong/broken with Zelda than elbowing in throw-away mini-games and arm-wrenching control methods, tbh. But they won’t. And yet I’ll still probably buy it. Bloody Nintendo.

10. zoopdeloop

Bring it on.Haven’t played a Zelda in a very long time

11. Len

So so close to selling my Wii as it just gathers dust and has done for a while but a new Zelda…bloody Nintendo indeed Blerk.