Bigger storage capacity for Blu-rays coming soon

Wednesday, 6th January 2010 12:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

bluraylogo2

According to a Nikkei report, Blu-rays with upwards of 33Gb are on the way.

So far, developers creating PS3 games have only been able to use 25Gb Blu-ray discs: the only exception to the rule is Metal Gear Solid 4, which used a 50Gb disc.

Now though, Sony and Panasonic’s solved the problem by removing the “jitter collapses” caused by “high-density recording”, by creating an evaluation index codenamed “i-MLSE.”

Sony is hoping I-MLSE will be adapted as standard by the Blu-ray Disc Association: an organisation of which Sony is a key member.

1. Len

Don’t tell Hideo!

2. Psychotext

Whatever happened to those 400gb discs they were working on? At one point they said that the PS3 would be able to use them, and then they just disappeared.

3. Gekidami

So does this mean that there’ll be I-MLSE dual-layers with 66Gb of space?

4. Psychotext

They say per layer, so no reason why not.

5. Komond_Deckard

I think it could be better explained. It’s 33GB single-layer, so it means discs will be 66GB when two layers. If you don’t say that, putting first “they will be 33GB” and then “Metal Gear Solid 4 was 50GB” sounds weird.

6. Hunam

MGS4 only had 9 hours of cutscenes…

7. Yoshi

You gotta admit though MGS4 was epic, I for one enjoyed all the cutscenes let me sit back and relax and just watch snake do hes thing :P

8. Psychotext

I’ve played it through three times now… and every single cutscene which can be skipped, gets skipped. Kojima is a godawful storyteller, but the game itself is excellent.

9. MushroomStamp

I got about 80% through MGS4 and couldn’t bring myself to finish it. The story was wack and made little sense and the gameplay was tedious. The online multiplayer is garbage. Infinite respawning enemies is just cheap way to make areas take more time and seem larger than they really are… which leads to the tedium.

10. Psychotext

Ha, yeah the infinite respawns were quite funny. If you stood in the right place you could actually watch them appear. You’d see it a lot on speed runs.