Party time for Square Enix: Dragon Quest IX is the best selling game of 2009 in Japan, according to Famitsu, with the game selling over 4.1 million units.
Meanwhile, the re-releases of Pokemon Gold and Silver for DS saw sales of over 3.3 million units.
Out of the top five games, rounded off by Final Fantasy XIII with 1.6 million units sold, the only new intellectual property in there is Friend Collection for DS: it sold over 2.3 million units.
Full top five is below:
- 1. Dragon Quest IX (DS) – 4,100,968
- 2. Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (DS) – 3,382,597
- 3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) – 2,485,150
- 4. Friend Collection (DS) – 2,311,948
- 5. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) – 1,698,256
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.