39% of British parents let kids play games over age limit

Tuesday, 5th January 2010 10:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gow2

According to a poll done by MyVoucherCodes (via NetworkWorld), over 39 percent of parents let their children play games over their age limit.

Which is why you have to contend with whiny seven year-olds playing Gears of War on Live.

Even more surprising is that over 25 percent of parents polled in the survey play the games with their kids.

The poll also shows that 53 percent of parents allow their kids to watch 18+ films, with 66 percent letting their children listen to explicit music.

“I was surprised by how many parents have actually allowed their child to watch a film, play a game or listen to music knowing that they weren’t old to do so,” said managing director of MyVoucherCodes, Mark Pearson.

“I think that every child is different and what is right for one might not be for another, but I do think that ratings are there for a reason, so parents should execute some caution on deciding what they should expose their children to.”

Incredible. Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Eregol

Wow.
    Not the fault of you guys at VG247, but tell us something we don’t know eh?

2. Gheritt White

Still shocking, nonetheless.

3. Blerk

“Execute” some caution? Strange turn of phrase.

I’ve played games with my son that he’s theoretically not old enough to play, but not until I’ve checked them out myself. Some of the stuff rated 12 is so tame that you have to wonder quite why it got the rating that it did.

At the end of the day, ratings are guidelines for people who don’t know what they’re doing, and that’s fine. For those of us who play and can judge for ourselves, I think it’s fair to say that we’re sensible enough to make our own decisions. On the whole. :-D

4. Pyrix

I would have thought the real number is much higher than 39%, since I can’t imagine many parents who wouldn’t let their 16/17 year old child play an 18 game, and that age group is incredibly common on games like Call of Duty, but even without that 39% still seem pretty low, I have spoken to classes full of year 7s (11-12 year olds) at my school who play it, and I am sure those of you who play online will contest that there are a lot of similarly aged people online.

And to be honest, I don’t really care, apart from being immature online, their lives are not drastically changed nor are they emotionally scarred or driven to violence by the game.

5. Bulk Slash

The stats are probably:

39% let their kids play inappropriate games
    1% don’t let their kids play inappropriate games
    60% don’t have a clue what they’ve bought for their kids, they were just told to buy it.

6. Yoshi

@5 Agreed
    The thing is though, was this an internet survey? if so how do we know it wasnt the kids doing it XD

BTW I let my little 6year old cousin play Counter-Strike, im obviously there to help him but that games not really got anything extreme. (Also we play in LAN with bots then we dont get all the whinny swearin kids online)

7. Eregol

@5 well said.

8. NiceFellow

@5 – that’s probably spot on.

The 39% sounds to me like the parents who know their kids and know the games content and made an actual decision their kids could handle the content.

The majority would have no idea at all.

I too will let my kids (13 and 10) play the occasional game or watch the occasional film I know will be fine for them based on actually knowing my children well, knowing the content and making an informed decision.