Sega: European Yakuza 3 to have Japanese voice-overs

Monday, 4th January 2010 12:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

yakuza3ryu1b

Sega’s just told VG247 that the European version of Yakuza 3 will contain only Japanese voice-overs with English subtitles.

The news follows a Sega of America rep saying in a 1UP podcast that the game’s US version will include an English VO.

The UK Sega rep told us that the podcast comments were the result of a crossed wires.

“I can confirm that this is a misunderstanding and the game will feature Japanese [voice-over] with English text as with Yakuza 2,” he said.

Asked if this would apply to the US version as well, the spokesperson could only speak for the UK/EU version.

So expect us to follow up with Sega US on this one.

Game’s out in March.

1. Retroid

That’s because he was only talking about he first being dubbed, isn’t it? ;P

2. Psychotext

There we go then.

3. Uncontested

Going to go ahead and assume US version will be the same way and I’ll be putting this game back in the “Buy only if it ends up in the $10 bin at Gamestop”

4. Crash

Yakuza 3 will contain only Japanese voice-overs with English subtitles = better.

5. Soong

Shame that it doesn’t have both options (dubs AND subs) since a blu-ray disc has plenty of space for both voicetracks. Still, I always prefer subs to dubs, so I couldn’t be happier with this news! Thanks for finding out, Johnny!

It will hardly sell at all in the US though with only subs, if the American movie public is anything to go by. Allegedly, reading subs while watching a movie at the same time is too difficult them and considered something reserved for pretentious intellectuals that only watch snooty European arthouse films :)

6. Hunam

It’s clearly just a way to keep costs down. They don’t really want to release it over here so we have to make do with what we get. The first game was dubbed and it was pretty fucking awful to be honest, but the japanese names in the second one can get confusing when trying to follow the story. Still just happy it’s coming out over here tbh.

7. MushroomStamp

I find it insulting “too hard to read and watch”… umm NO.. but if you spend time reading you miss the details of the action. I like looking at the backgrounds and details of the cinematography, not wasting my time reading. If I wanted to read, I would read a book.

8. Soong

Heh, guess want it’s perfectly possible to do both :D

Maybe it’s a matter of practice though, if your native language is English then you probably won’t even have watched more than a handful of subbed film by the time you’re 20. In my case I’ve been watching subbed series and films ever since I could watch TV. That’s just how it is over here, unlike say Germany or Spain where they dub the fuck out of EVERYTHING. Hell, even the Saturday morning cartoons were subbed when I was little!

9. Soong

Oh and my earlier post wasn’t 100% serious btw. ;)