Darksiders – the first 20 mental minutes in video

Monday, 21st December 2009 10:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

darksiders6

Hit the link for the first 20 minutes of Darksiders’ gameplay, featuring War, War’s chaos form, War kicking ten bells out of angels and demons, War fighting a massive boss and War just being generally War. This is the War show. And it’s seven shades of awesome, from first impressions.

Steph’s just filed an interview with Vigil GM David Adams on the game, its influences and tons more. Catch that here.

Darksiders releases for PS3 and 360 on January 8.

1. Joe Anderson (wotta)

This game is so good, highly recommend it based on what I have played so far.

2. Blerk

I don’t think I’ll watch this, given that I’m pretty keen on picking up the game.

3. Patrick Garratt

It’s wicked. Can’t wait to play more.

4. Zarckan

I’ve never heard of the game until your tweets over the weekend?!?

5. The Hindle

How does it play Pat?

6. Redh3lix

I’m aware there’s a ton of these “hack ‘n slash” games at the moment. Dante’s Inferno, Bayonetta, God of War III and this Darksiders game. Dante’s Inferno’s looks better than this if I’m honest, certainly graphically. God of War III looks like a naked Anjelina Jolie covered in whipped cream!

7. Detale

This has only really appeared on my radar over the past few weeks but it looks great, I think I’ll be grabbing this once I’ve got AC2 out of the way over the Christmas break.

8. Patrick Garratt

The camera’s controllable in this. It’s far more “3D” than Dante and GoW. There’s a targeting system as well. I was playing the PS3 version, so you hold down L2 then flick the right stick to swap targets.

I played about another ten minutes after the end of this vid, and it seems far more “adventurey” than GoW and Dante (which are basically the same game, tbh, although that just means I’ll play both).

9. Michael O’Connor

Looks like an entirely generic and average hack n’ slash title to me.

Bayonetta this is not.

10. No_PUDding

From what I have started playing of God of War 2, how can it be more adventurey?

God of War is way less combat than I expected, and this looks combat heavy.

11. dewkl

#9
    This is not a a normal “hack ‘n slash” game, It’s an adventure game first, hack ‘n slash second. If you see the preview on gametrailers you will see that it differs greatly from God of war and the other more combat-focused games.

12. FeaturePreacher

Sure wish there were varied obliteration techniques for each NPC along with more attack combinations to use. I might pick this up when it’s $30 or less. Vigil should pay attention to the competition, especially from games such as Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 2.

13. onlineatron

More Zelda than God of War?

14. DaMan

Meh gameplay, the beginning was hillarious though.

15. Michael O’Connor

“This is not a a normal “hack ‘n slash” game, It’s an adventure game first, hack ‘n slash second.”

Okay then, it looks ike an entirely generic and average adventure title (with entirely generic and average hack n’ slash elements) to me.

16. Gekidami

Cant say i’m really impressed tbh. I like the ‘guest star appearance’ from Johnny at 16:23 though. :D