Dark Void trailer shows dogfighting, rolling about in the air

Wednesday, 16th December 2009 11:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

darkvoid

Look. Can you just stop talking about videogames, publishers of the world? Just in case you’d forgotten Dark Void’s out on January 22, Capcom’s stuck out a video of the game’s protagonist shooting things. A lot.

Watch it after the break.

There’s air-to-air shooting and air-to-ground shooting. There’s also plenty of dodging on display. Looks pretty good, to be fair.

PC, PS3 and 360, developed by Airtight.

1. Blerk

When I played the demo at the Expo, the flighty bits were damned near uncontrollable. Or I might’ve been shit at it. One of the two.

2. Len

No offense Blerk but I’m really hoping you were rubbish. ;)

Just I want this to be good but am worried to say the least. When are the reviews coming…?

3. Blerk

It’s a distinct possibility that I was rubbish.

I wasn’t rubbish at the on-foot bits, though. But they definitely were rubbish.

4. mington

when this game popped up last year i was totally pumped about it

but since then there’s been a constant stream of people slagging it off which has tarnished my opinion of it

the flying stuff is being done by the people who made the critically acclaimed Crimson Skies

i’m not expecting a ‘GAme of the Year’ but i think it’ll be a blast to play, hopefully they will have some MASSIVE bosses

5. Len

Exactly mington, Crimson Skies was fantastic which is why I had/have high hopes.

But now v worried about the bits on the ground due to Blerk’s rubbishness or lack there of.. ;)

6. Blerk

The bits on the ground weren’t exactly bad, just very much ’3ps-by-numbers’. Things took a significant turn for the worse once verticality was introduced though, as I found it all too easy to completely miss the ledges I was trying to drop onto.

7. Len

I’ve decided that I’m gonna have to blame you Blerk if it’s rubbish.

Can’t say fairer than that… ;)

8. Blerk

Ha – it wouldn’t be the first time someone’s done that! :-D

9. elronathon

I got a chance to have quite a long play session with this a couple months back and I actually really enjoyed it. The transitions from air to foot worked really well and definitely did a lot for the sense of scale in the game. It definitely helped bolster the illusion of freedom which is often lost in a lot of modern action games which are essentially corridor shooters with long draw distances.

The animation of the protagonist Will is also pretty excellent, I guess that earned it quite a few bonus points from me.

10. mescalineeyes

must’ve been a newer build than the one at gamescom — that one was pretty rubbish.