VGAs – Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands movie shows movie themes

Sunday, 13th December 2009 10:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

popsands

The first Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands trailer debuted at the VGAs last night – watch it after the break – showing what very much looks to be a vehicle tie-in for the upcoming Jake Gyllenhaal movie.

The Prince looks like Jake’s in-film character, most obviously. Rewinding’s still there as well, as you can see at the end of the trailer.

It’s out in May. Get all the rest of the show news from Steph’s liveblog.

1. Blerk

I’m finding myself more excited by this than I was expecting to be. The collapsing city and stuff looks great, and I find myself hoping that it’s the Sands of Time sequel that I always wanted rather than the two that I actually got.

2. Johnny Cullen

I found it very meh tbh.

3. Gekidami

Not much to look at really, other then the Prince’s appearence.

4. Bulk Slash

Hmmm, it’s out in under 6 months and none of that footage was in-game. Could this be another rushed movie tie-in that is contractually required to be on the shelves in time for the movie’s release?

Unless they’d already decided to kill their reboot even before release and had a separate dev team working on this game, I can’t see a year and a half being enough time to make a good game that is well polished. I know they’ve already got an engine but even that will need a fair bit of tweaking if they’re going back to the Sands of Time gameplay and also dropping the cel shaded look.

Hopefully I’m just being a cynical cunt. Sands of Time is one of my favourite games ever, so a sequel/remake that doesn’t ruin it like Warrior Within and Two Thrones is very welcome.

5. Gekidami

Its really odd that the trailer in no way reflects the last games cel-shaded gfx. Makes me wonder if they’ll still be using the same engine.

6. Blerk

The last Prince of Persia used the Assassin’s Creed engine, so obviously you can do a variety of graphical styles within that same engine without breaking a sweat. My guess is that this’ll be based off of the Assassin’s Creed 2 engine – makes no sense at all to create a brand new engine when the AC one is pretty great to begin with.

7. JonFE

I seriously hope this isn’t a lousy movie tie-in. PoP has been constantly enjoyable to me since its rebirth with SoT and I’d be very sad if this breaks the trend and disappoints me.

8. freedoms_stain

Time reversal is back, I’m happy.

9. No_PUDding

Blerk, the Assassins Creed 2 engine, is most likely the Assassins Creed engine.

Each title will adjust it’s own technological increments. If anything I’d say this will be working off of the Prince of Persia engine, modified from the Assassins Creed one, so they atleast have a prototype with The Princes moveset, as opposed to the modified version in AC2.

What a mouthful. And all speculation. Hardly worth it actually.

10. Freek

This has 7/10 written all over it. Decent platformer that doesn’t do anything too interesting or innovative due to the fact that it had to be released along side the movie.

11. absolutezero

Its going to have a metal soundtrack again. I can feel it.

12. Gheritt White

JonFE said it all, really, Still really hoping this is of better quality than the Avatar: the Game movie tie-in.

13. Gekidami

Apparently they’ve dropped the reboot: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2009/00039261-images-et-infos-sur-le-prochain-prince-of-persia.htm

According to that the games based between Sand Of Time and Warrior Within and sees the Prince visit his brothers land who is under seige by some army. The Prince will use his time powers to help his brother.
    Oher then that Ubi added that the game will feature bigger battles pitching the player against hoards of enemies. Along with new powers to “control nature”.

Cel-shadings dropped to.

It comes out in May on PS3, 360 and PC with some form of different versions coming out on DS, PSP and Wii.

14. Michael O’Connor

Is that conjecture or fact? Curious.

It does look a *little* too much like Sands of Time, to the point of the character pretty much looking like a carbon copy of that prince.

15. Gekidami

Its from Ubisoft apparently, must be fact.

16. Michael O’Connor

Fail.

17. Gekidami

Some artwork through that link, only shows environments though.

18. endgame

wait, is Gekidami right? is this coming out for PC too?

19. Gekidami

Seems so. All the others came out on PC, why wouldnt this one?

20. endgame

idk, it’s just that.. the dlc for the last pop came only for consoles..

21. mington

Following the Spike VGA trailer reveal this weekend, Ubisoft has dropped more details on the upcoming Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

While the title does fit within The Sands of Time trilogy storyline, it doesn’t exactly continue it. Instead. The Forgotten Sands takes place between the events of The Sands of Time and The Warrior Within, finding Prince visiting his brother’s kingdom. There he finds that the palace is under siege, and makes the decision to use his newly acquired Sands of Time powers to save the kingdom from being annihilated. This decision comes with consequences and, as they say, the sh*t goes down.

Ubisoft is promising “huge-scale multi-enemy combat,” along with the expected acrobatics we’ve seen in the previous title. The game is being powered by Ubisoft’s “Anvil” Engine, which was recently seen powering Assassin’s Creed II (as well as the original Assassin’s Creed and 2008′s Prince of Persia, under the name “Scimitar”). The Prince will apparently not only be able to control time, but also the forces of nature, which he’ll find “to be a devastating companion to his ability to rewind time.”

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands ships next May for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS/DSi, and Wii. Not unexpectedly, the DS, Wii, and PSP versions will be different games than those found on PC/PS3/360.”

22. Gekidami