VGAs – Medal of Honor gets awesome debut trailer

Sunday, 13th December 2009 10:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mohlogo

EA dropped the first Medal of Honor at the VGAs last night as promised, and very bloody awesome it looks too.

The shooter reboot’s set in modern-day Afghanistan. There’s no denying the quality here.

It’s out for PC, 360 and PS3 at the end of next year. Get all the rest of the show news from Steph’s liveblog.

1. Johnny Cullen

I’ll bite: it looks good.

Thought it would be a bad Modern Warfare rip-off, but it looks good.

2. Gekidami

It looks like a bad Modern Warfare rip-off to me… Only less graphical.

3. Aimless

It basically looks like Modern Warfare but with better graphics. Which I suppose is a winning combination, so long as the console versions look anywhere near as good.

4. Blerk

Didn’t really do much for me, tbh. Although I wasn’t expecting it to. I did like the exploding guy on the chair at the end, though.

5. Redh3lix

Disregarding the cut scenes and concentrating on the few tiny segments of gameplay in there, it looks quite good so far.

6. Gekidami

Doubt they’re cutscenes, just the camera being placed out of FPS mode like in the MW2 trailers.

7. Sethos

You must have the IQ of a blue cucumber to call this game a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare rip-off, how on earth could you even make that conclusion at this point, because it’s set in the modern world?! Oh wow, such a fantastic concept IW was on to there, ay? Yes EA tapped into that market because it has potential but that’s not ripping anything off.

And personally I think it looks great, I truly hope we can have a proper tactical shooter on the consoles without lame gameplay additions to completely kill the game ( Think overdone perks and killstreaks ).

8. Redh3lix

I’ll bet good money that this game will be ripped to pieces by nub gamers saying “NOT INTERESTED! Theres no killstreaks/perks!!!” :D

9. Digital Forge

Apparently it was all gameplay:

“Hope that you all watched the trailer on SPIKE! That was, indeed, all GAMEPLAY footage. MOH. IS. BACK. 2010.”

10. Gekidami

And i bet it will have some form of perks system for online play. :D

11. mojo

i hope it will not.

12. Sethos

The Multiplayer part is headed up by EA dice and they are more than capable of creating a great online experience on their own, perks are crap.

13. Aimless

Bad Company 2 has something akin to perks, they’re just a lot more subtle than those in MW2. Personally I think they’re an excellent addition to online games, Infinity Ward’s title simply places too much focus on them for my taste.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Rubbish.

Put it in the bin, right next to Bad Company 2.

15. Aimless

Is this the bin of games that are better than Modern Warfare 2?

16. M2Kx

Looks great, but guys don’t expect too much, it’s DICE working on that and we all know what that means.

17. Sethos

Dice is only working on the MP part, EALA is working on SP

18. Johnny Cullen

That the multiplayer will be great, innit.

19. DUFFKING

I hope they manage to make a multiplayer portion that has balance, good map design, good netcode, actually takes skill to win and generally isn’t rubbish that has been done better 100s of times before.

i.e, the exact opposite of MW2. Which already exists in the form of BFBC.

20. JonFE

Apparently EA wants some of that MW2 pie, so it must appeal to the same demographic hence the similarities.

Don’t know how far in progress it is, but I found the trailer a bit too “clean” for my taste – I’ll reserve judgment once it’s released.

21. XDamage

At least they have done they’re research on how real SOF operatives actually look. :) I’m definitely gonna check this out when it comes out.

22. Psychotext

“blue cucumber”

I had to look that up. I hope you’re happy. :P

23. scuz

lol, the bit at the end where the guy behind him strafes to the right blocking his own line of fire.

fail.

24. BeastModeYMOB

This game will shit all over MW2 when it come out. All the ppl on here sayn it’s a copy of MW2, take a look into history and u will see that CoD came after MoH. With out MoH CoD would not be out for u to play. Get over it. CoD is not the best game out there.

25. M2Kx

@Sethos: I know, that’s why I mentioned it

@BeastModeYMOB: This is no YouTube channel :D

26. cachucha

wonderful, too many modern warfare lovers, the pinacle of gaming

guitar hero vs rock band all over again

27. reask

Yes and yes for me.

28. Mike

I’m in. Looks like a laugh.

29. Petulant Radish

Of course it will look like modern warfare, because it is modern warfare silly.

30. BeastModeYMOB

@M2Kx: Like I said CoD(MW2) would not be where it is today w/o MoH.

31. G1GAHURTZ

In a wierd kind of way, you have a point, but I’m sure that it’s not in the way that you intended.

It was EA doing what EA does best and managing to apparently make the actual talent behind MoH want to leave EA LA, that led to Infinity Ward being set up.

Since then, EA seem to have been slapping the MoH name all over weak excuses for FPS’s in the hope of somehow getting close to the quality that they used to have.

So IW doesn’t owe EA or the MoH IP a single thing. EA had the guys at IW working for them, but they basically sent them packing and over to Activision.

32. Gheritt White

Those GFX are off the chain – that bit with the helicopter looked properly mental.

I’ll probably pick this up only to re-discover I hate real-world FPS games, just like I did with CoD4.

33. SplatteredHouse

If it’s mostly tense, close quarters gunplay, with a character that’s important to play as, I’d prefer that for this game to stand out, than be shooting pixels in the distance. Now I can see the trailer as intended, I can see that it looks promising. :) Maybe I skip BC2, in favour of this, if it plays a close-medium range shooter.

34. The Hindle

So whos planning on getting this?

35. G1GAHURTZ

I’ll keep an eye on it, but I’m fully expecting it to fail.

36. theevilaires

cough *G1GA bias* cough :P

37. The Hindle

Yea me to Giga, but then EA do make better games now so we never know.

38. G1GAHURTZ

@ tea:

lol. Nah, I like other games…

I might like this, apart from two reasons. 1. I really didn’t like MoH:Airborne. 2. I get bored of Battlefield very quickly these days, having liked it a lot before.

Besides, I’m expecting this to get lost in some sort of ‘who am I really?’ type of identity crisis.

@ The Hindle:

Yeah, I’m not going to write it off completely, so we’ll have to wait and see…

39. theevilaires

Yea I know you play a lot of stuff G1GA, I was teasing, but you really need to play Uncharted 2 you’re missing out big time.

40. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I plan on getting around to trying it eventually…

If only to see what’s supposed to be so good about it’s plot. I’m not usually all that interested in plot, since I’m way to cynical to get lost in a video game world, so I’d like to see if it can impress me.