November NPD – PC software down 6.6% yoy, $51.7M for the month

Saturday, 12th December 2009 16:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pc

NPD has released PC sales figures for November, and estimates that $51.7 million was spent on software in retail stores, but per usual, does not take into account digital distribution sales.

Yesterday, Anita Frazier tweeted that PC sales for the year were at $1.46B for the year, which is down 6.6 percent YoY.

She also tweeted the top five videogame properties for the year in terms of sales through November, which were Call of Duty, Wii Fit, Mario Bros., Guitar Hero, and Rock Band, respectively.

More through the links.

1. Johnny Cullen

You’ve opened the gates of hell on this one, Steph. :D

2. Stephany Nunneley

I repent nothing!!!! :-D :-D

3. Redh3lix

Doesn’t surprise. There hasn’t been a decent PC game since Battlefield 2 imo.

Where’s BDH? :D

4. Kalain

Where is BDH and Loki when you need a laugh? :D

5. Bellisner

Since the NPD ignores digital sales I don’t know if I think it’s a cast iron decline. From my own experience I’ve been buying an increasing number of PC games from Steam and the like for the past couple of years. Subjectively speaking if you were to determine my gaming habits from till receipts alone; you’d be led to believe I am buying less PC games year on year.

6. absolutezero

I’d like to see the Steam sale figures for that 5 day sale thanks very much.

7. Mike

Yeah. That was banananananas

8. M337ING

Look at the current Steam Stats to see exactly where the PC market is going:

2,144,083 peak simultaneous users. And Steam only broke the 2 million mark several weeks ago.

Just goes to show you how quickly the market is shifting to digital.

Steamworks-activated games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 are only accelerating that move, since people are exposed to the convenience of the online store when they first install those games, meaning they’re likely to try it out and maybe even continue using those types of services.

9. Psychotext

That stat is all very well and good… except I’m currently logged into Steam, as I am every day, and I’m not using it.

10. Jadeskye

This makes me sad. PC gaming still holds a place in my heart.

11. M337ING

@Psychotext

Just like the millions of people on Xbox Live at one time aren’t all playing games.

12. Psychotext

There’s a slight difference. If I’m on my 360, I’m doing something 360 related (playing games, downloading stuff etc)… I’m not working or checking my emails.

I guess there are some people that might have their 360s on whilst they’re doing other things, but not me… I’d rather not return to a puddle of plastic and metal.

13. blackdreamhunk

Summary

Asian games companies (particularly in Korea and China) have led the way in creating innovative online business models. They have tackled major issues including piracy, the high cost of consoles and low disposable incomes to create a growing, profitable business.
    The idea that they need to change their business models to reflect those in the West is preposterous. It is Western companies who need to change, and fast.
    Analysis

At any moment of every day, 2 million Chinese are playing online games. 64% of all Chinese internet users are online gamers. And by 2012, China will represent half of the forecast $12 billion market.
    The Asian companies have developed new businesses suited to their local markets. But to suggest that they would benefit from copying Western models is preposterous.
    The Western market is dominated by consoles. The console market is characterised by:

* Massive investment in R&D, manufacturing and marketing by the console manufacturers: The Home Entertainment division of Microsoft has invested $21 billion over five years, with an operating loss of $5.4 billion. Sony lost $3.1 billion in the games division in the two years to March 2008, arising “from the strategic pricing of PlayStation 3 hardware at points lower than its production cost”.)
    * Massive investment by publishers in new titles: The smash hit of 2009, Modern Warfare 2 from Activision, cost over $50 million to develop and a further $200 million in marketing and manufacturing. Few companies can afford in a portfolio of titles with capital requirements like that.
    * Significant investment by consumers in the hardware: Even several years after launch, a PS 3 or Xbox 360 is likely to set you back around $300.
    * Continued investment by consumers in software: With RRPs often above $50, gaming is a major financial decision for Western consumers.

In contrast, companies like TenCent and Shanda have built their business on free-to-play games that make their money from the sale of virtual goods. And these games can be incredibly profitable.
    The virtual goods/online business model is better than the traditional console model because it:

* Addresses piracy: there are no DVDs to copy, and the virtual goods have no value without the servers and game infrastructure to use them
    * Requires less upfront investment: Playfish, a British developer of games on Facebook that was recently bought by Electronic Arts , for up to $400 million, estimates that an average Facebook game costs $1 million to make, but they typically launch the game when it is only 20% complete and continually iterate – or kill it if players don’t like it
    * Allows consumers to pay as much they like: Consumers can play for free, but if they wish to pay for virtual goods, they can pay as little as a few cents or as much as thousands of dollars for a product

In short, there is a major difference between Western business models and Asian ones (although there a dozens of private Western businesses exploiting this model including Zynga, Playdom, Bigpoint, Gameforge, Gameduell, Jagex, Ankama and others).
    But it is the West that needs to adopt Chinese business models, not the other way round.

you people should more than know not to get me started

14. blackdreamhunk

thta is just one link about pc gaming

yea I really love the gaming industry and it’s media. it reminds of a nazi camp!!!!!

the hate truth these days

they hate pc gamers these days

they try to shout up pc gamers and people views

15. Gekidami

It reminds him of when he was back in Nazi camp. Isnt that nice?

16. blackdreamhunk

there are meny things that remind “of a nazi training camp”

I never did get along with bully’s when I was small!

when you don’t agree with some one you call them troll!

I wonder how meny pc gamers are baned from gaming website these days because they don’t agree with the website or the media!!!!

yea it’s nazi training gcamp! frankly I am glade the world can see it. If i see can see these things, other people will too.

So meny lairs in the gaming media it’s not even funny!

let me give you a few exmaples bit tech, gamespot, edge online, video gamer.

they are full lairs and haters!!! the gaming industry is full of pc haters

yea they like to worship the all mighty console hardware party! sony and mircosoft

what a joke! yea the gaming Industry is a nazy training camp for their dictorship!

In fact one mods bit tech supports dictors

the gaming industry is a joke!

this to me means the anti christ is coming!

17. Johnny Cullen

I really cant wait for tomorrow now.

I really cant.

18. blackdreamhunk

I have proven my point and it for people all over the world to see.

no one can call me lair :)

my words are spreading cross the internet alot of people are agreeing with me.

I deal in facts and turth.

prople are scared of the truth

19. DaMan

Satin is disappointed in you.

20. Psychotext

“I really cant wait for tomorrow now.”

I see what you did there.

21. JonFE

Is tomorrow the day that Pat breaks the tally?

22. blackdreamhunk

I can wait for people all over world reading this agree.

lol Satin is always dispointed with me lol

yea I am going to say it agin there is alot of lairs in the gaming industry. the gaming Industry is a joke

also the gaming media is a dictorship!

thank god i’m not actvision supporter

by the way I bet the legal system would nuts over something like this

thank god I’m not an acvision supporter lol

more proof the gaming Industry hates pc gamers!

23. DUFFKING

Is there an ignore poster option here? I’d quite like to never see anything bdh writes again.

24. Retroid

I too am glade BDH speaks the turth.