Guardian lists pros and cons of each gaming console

Friday, 11th December 2009 16:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

consoles

The Guardian has a list up of the current consoles available on the market – excluding handhelds – and lists the pros and cons of each one that you should consider before making a purchase. PC and Mac are listed as well.

When it came to whether or not to recommend Wii, the article stated that it “offers a perfect introduction to videogames”, but if you are in the market for better graphics or “ground-breaking” games – PS3 and Xbox 360 are the way to go.

After stating that, and giving PS3 a compliment in a round about way, the article then suggests that the only reason to purchase the Sony is if the consumer harbors an “obsession with the PlayStation brand”. Citing the £250 price point and exclusives such as Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto becoming multiplatform as reason to stay away, the Guardian called PS3 a “disappointment for gamers”.

So, that leaves Xbox 360 to contend with, and the article claimed that the “best games portfolio” was present on 360, but if you wanted a great machine, splurge for the £200 Elite as the Arcade version’s “all but useless without a hard disk”.

There was really nothing to be noted in the PC and Mac recommendations, other than the obvious comment that one has to have a “powerful 3D graphics card” to run most games, and since the majority of Macs lack one, it’s hard to find games for that system.

Take from the list what you will, but as far as price points are concerned, the article failed to mention that for an extra £50, you are getting a Blu-ray player with PS3 as well, compared to regular DVD with Xbox 360.

Then again, it was written from a games-centric perspective, so there ya go.

1. onlineatron

3… 2… 1

TEA INBOUND!

2. The Hindle

Lol here he comes duck everyone.

3. Joe Anderson (wotta)

That is probably the worst article I have ever read, are they fishing for hits today?

4. No_PUDding

Ahh, the ever relevant ‘one-millon-unit-selling-across-7-platforms’ Tomb Raider. Good point the Guardian, good point…

5. onlineatron

Tomb Raider lost exclusivity last gen and GTA was never exclusive (PC, PS3 and Xbox).

6. The Hindle

I thought hating on the Ps3 was in the past, its like 2006 all over again

7. onlineatron

In fact… VG247/ Stephany Nunneley… you should really remove this article.

It’s only gonna give this sorry excuse for ‘journalism’ more hits.

8. No_PUDding

Steph, not that I think you’d remove, but if you considered it – don’t. This article deserves to be discussed well into the wee hours of Saturday morning, when return.

9. Psychotext

I wonder how many of the Guardian readership will be buying any of these things anyway.

10. Eregol

What qualifications do you need to write about videogames/consoles for the Guardian?

To me it looks like an 8 year old wrote it. Seriously, has the editor looked at this? If it was me, I’d have fired the guy on the spot.
    What a poorly written shit heap of an article.

11. Stephany Nunneley

I just found it absurd – which is why I posted it. Granted, I love the absurd usually, but when you don’t really contribute all factors into a list like this, how can you expect people to make an informed decision if that is what you are trying to help them with? Each one has it’s failings and positives – to just skim over the good is just poor research. I am wondering if it was just to fill a writing quota obligation -either way- I am wagging my finger at the Guardian over this.

12. Hunam

Mainstream journalism is an absolute joke these days. It’s not worth the effort to get angry about it.

13. onlineatron

It’s odd… this article states that The ‘Guardian lists pros and cons of each gaming console’.

But it seems the only platform they listed pros for was the 360.

14. No_PUDding

Bossman: Steve, you got something good for Friday?

Steve: Nah been playign videogames all week…

Bossman: That’s fine, I been killing shit in Moder Warfare 2.

Steve: Me too.

Bossman: You got a gamertag?

Steve: Yeah. Stevie-is-a-lesbian1983

Bossman: Cool, I hate Playstation 3.

Steve: Yeah thats whack.

Bossman: Write about it…

Steve: Good idea.

15. The Hindle

:) yea Pud. You can so tell they are in bed with Microsoft

16. Eregol

I love how this article doesn’t have a section to leave your comments on.
    Obviously they knew they’d get slagged off.

17. Stephany Nunneley

@13 Well, I couldn’t rightly title it “Guardian lists the reasons it wants to give MS a handjob in the parking lot” could I? :-D

18. OlderGamer

I am going to leave this one alone, to me it reads:
    here next to this pool of gasoline sits a match….

19. The Hindle

Haha its like how far you want us to bend over Microsoft. Seriously its articles like this that the Ps3 still has some bias round it.

20. onlineatron

@Stephany Nunneley

Now that’s not fair is it?… Microsoft and The Guardian are both repectable companies with a lot of money.

If anyone is giving anyone a handjob it will be in an executive limo!

21. No_PUDding

It doesn’t matter, I expect if the Guardian was at all aware of videogame politics (fanboy wars), of if the readers were more avid videogame politicians (fanboys), I am sure there’d be more of an effort to be impartial.

But as I demonstrated with that dialogue, it’s just some guy writing to himself.

22. MushroomStamp

Can’t believe ya’ll are getting miffed about an article of truth :)

/me ducks

23. No_PUDding

:D

OH NO HE DI-ANT

*waggles finger*

24. Stephany Nunneley

onlineatron – :-D :-D

25. No_PUDding

Also, never refer to us as y’all.

There’s only a few people on this site who have the option to use that kind of terminology.

26. Bojangles

I’d say that’s a pretty poor summation of each system. That article misrepresents all of them.

In that regard, at least, it’s fairly neutral.

27. theevilaires

I should have known this was Stephany Nunneley article ;)

28. Robo_1

That is quite possibly the weakest piece of games related journalism I’ve ever read. As somebody said, it’s the sort of thing an 8 year old would write – mind blown!

29. reask

What if you used women to categorise all 3.
    The Wii is a temptress that promises so much but gives very little.

The PS3 is a good looking thing but very very choosy.

The 360 is a nympho out and out but you will have the best time of your life having jumped in. ;)

30. OlderGamer

Too funny reask lol

31. theevilaires

good analogy Reask, but remember if you mess around with the 360 you could catch that STD….RROD :D

Just make sure you have your 3 year warranty condom :P

32. reask

^ :D

33. No_PUDding

Is a PC the equivalent of a man?

34. Mike

I actually thought the article was a joke. Seriously. I couldn’t believe it when I read it.

35. Howie Feltersnatch

…and the Wii likes it rough and wild with lots of wiggle waggle movement…

36. No_PUDding

You sold your PS3 Mike, you’re a gamer, you were disappointed, isn’t it right?

(I haven’t actally got the article unfortuntely).

37. MushroomStamp

Tea, just for the record. I have had to replace my PS3 twice because of faulty hardware.. The first time was in the first 4 weeks I had it.

38. Jadeskye

You should try working retail some time Tea, you’d be surprised how many people give you PS3s to return which you then piss off by telling them they have to send it to sony.

39. blackdreamhunk

if you were to factual information on pc gaming beside consoles. Console gaming would be put shame. That is why the pc is not talk about or lied about.

oh one more thing pc gaming has blue ray too.

pc gaming has the must genres and libaray of game ever

yes I coud go on.

40. theevilaires

umm are you guys not getting my joke above. It wasn’t a stab at M$ or Xbox360 I was just going along with Reask’s analogy. I can make the same jokes toward the PS3 and wii if you guys want???….

41. mojo

oright, i havent erad teh whole articel, nor teh comments here, an dim drunk, BUT:

Maybe im not THE definition of a gamer nowadays, but after 20 long years of gaming more or less everyday any most of allm platforms that came and went away again, its a beat in my face to see a line like “PS3 is a disappointment for gamers”.

Seriously, this is in the top10 of the most stupid arguments ever seen.

Its obvious that this guy is not a gamer.
    Atz least not what i call a gamer. A gamer on heart.

my opinioon: allthough it would have went like it did anyway, but the XBOX broughht the evil into gaming.
    If u disagree, u are wrong. End off.

i could state various reasons, why a wii or even the xbox is the defionate opposite of true gamers interests.

Its a shame to see how stupid ppl realy are.

42. Psychotext

“If u disagree, u are wrong. End off.”

Cool argument bro.

43. blackdreamhunk

If you dis agree they call you all sorts of names like “troller”

why because they can’t handle the truth

yea them big companies sure have a nice dictorship going on these days.

they hate the truth so much they will try to surpress the truth any how they can.

44. Mike

“the XBOX broughht the evil into gaming.
    If u disagree, u are wrong. End off.”

haha

45. blackdreamhunk

here i found a nice link on youtube for people like you and this generation.

by the end of this ression I am going to see alot bankuprt companies!

46. Mike

That woman is scary.

47. reask

In all fairness guys Tea was only having a laugh at my comment.
    I mean the article is a joke full stop anyway.
    I would love to get Stephs male version of my analogy. :)

48. reask

Whats a ression BDH?
    Is it PC exclusive like. :)

49. reask

Nice one Mojo.
    Can I have some of what you’re on. ;)

50. Stephany Nunneley

@reask

What if you used men to categorize all 3.

The Wii is a fun boy-toy who makes you feel young again, but gets old after a while with all the constant neediness and “look at me!” mentality, and threatening suicide every time you try and call it off.

The PS3 is a good looking, suave, modern man with loads of money and a Porche but you get tired of him over compensating with bells and whistles instead of packaging, also for his lack of follow through.

The 360 is a nympho and doesn’t need a “big truck” to prove he has all the tools necessary to show you a good time. Still, his frat boy buddies coming over all the time screaming about n00bs and b00bs gets a bit old.

In short – buy the PS3, get the Wii as a pool boy, and have a clandestine affair with the 360 when you need a real man.

51. reask

^ Classic Steph. :D

52. Johnny Cullen

Classic. :D

53. Jadeskye

Steph, That was the best summary of the consoles i’ve ever heard, thank you. lol.

54. OlderGamer

Post of the year right there Steph! Nice. :)

55. mojo

just to add:
    im realy drunken!!
    oh boii!!

sry for the harm..

u know, in vino veritas.

reask: no sorry, i cant support this :D

56. reask

@ mojo
    No probs mate. )

Hey my summary wasnt half bad either.
    Girl lovers. :D

57. ffronw

Dear Stephany:

For you, because you can’t say it.

58. DaMan

Pudding, you still seriously believe the latest Tomb Raider sold a couple of millions across 7 platforms? other than PS3 and 360 ones the rest of the versions sold little to zero.

59. Jadeskye

i believe it was sarcasm DaMan.