No tax relief for games sector in the UK

Wednesday, 9th December 2009 16:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ukflag

The UK Government does not plan to provide tax relief to the country’s games industry, it was revealed today.

According to the Guardian, Chancellor Alistair Darling’s pre-budget report does not include measures providing tax breaks despite the sector pumping more money into the economy than the region’s film industry.

TIGA claims that this failure to introduce tax breaks will result in the sector’s decline, but at the same time, commended the government for its predicted £10 million investment in gaming centers of excellence in Dundee and Manchester – which are expected to create 30 new companies and 400 new jobs within three years.

More through CVG.

1. Zarckan

Don’t get me fucken started!

2. Eregol

Of course not.
    Labour don’t cut taxes.
    They freeze them, but nexer cut them.
    Wankers

3. No_PUDding

Bleed ‘em dry!

4. Psychotext

Looks like the games industry needs to hire some new lobbyists.

5. OrphanageExplosion

Sounds like the games industry aren’t donating enough funds to the Labour party…

6. Eregol

Gordon Brown talking to his advisers.
    ‘What’s that? Other countries offer tax breaks and do lots of other things we don’t do and their quality of life is better and they’re not in recession? Nah, we’ll carry on doing things our way. It’ll all sort itself out in the end.’

7. Cort

But hey, Bingo companies got a tax cut of nearly 10%. And no, I’m NOT joking.

8. Eregol

Shit.
    Now all of a sudden my joke doesn’t work.
    So, I wonder how much money bingo companies bring into the UK compared to videogame ones?
    Somehow I reckon videogames would bring a lot more in.

9. Johnny Cullen

Looks like RealTime Worlds are gonna be packing for Dublin, or somewhere in the South of Ireland, if I can remember rightly from whath they said a while back.

EDIT: Here is the link, just in case you don’t know what I am on about.