Yakuza 3 heading to Europe and NA in March 2010

Tuesday, 8th December 2009 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

yakuza3

SEGA Europe has announced on both the US and EU PS Blog that Yakuza 3 is leaving Japan in March 2010.

You can start dancing now.

“Yakuza 3 was one of the most requested titles for localization by our European SEGA community, so we are delighted to be able to fulfill their wishes with this announcement,” said Gary Knight, SOE’s marking director.

“As well as delving even further into the rich narrative of the Yakuza universe, the development team have pushed the PlayStation 3 hardware to the limits to produce a beautiful and startlingly realistic depiction of the Japanese underworld.”

It will feature full English subtitling, whilst “maintaining the rich Japanese voice actors that bring an extremely engaging atmosphere to the game”.

Neato. What we are more concerned with though, is if a tattoo artist in our area can replicate the coolness of the one in the pic posted above. If so, we’re in.

There’s an announcement video posted below. Watch it.

1. Jadeskye

It would have been stupid for them NOT to do it frankly.

when a million people wanna buy your product you don’t tell them no. you say, yes please! put your money in this bucket.

2. Hunam

Peoples of the west: Can we have Yakuza 3 please
    Sega: No
    West: Please?
    Sega: I’ll think about it.
    West: Really?
    Sega: Nah, just kidding.
    West: But we really want it.
    Sega: We know.
    West: So does that mean yes?
    Sega: You know what, NO, NEVER YOU CAN’T HAVE THIS GAME.
    West: Fine then fuck you, I don’t want the game now.
    Sega: Surprise! You can have the game now.
    West: Oh you!

3. Cort

Now watch it sell okay the first week then plummet out of the charts. ;)

4. evilashchris

\o/

Good news indeed!

Supposed to be a bit like Shenmue isn’t it?

5. Hunam

A bit. Instead of QTE’s, you punch people in the face. Instead of going to work, you punch people in the face, instead of feeding a cat, you get drunk and punch people in the face. Instead of going around asking questions, you go around punching people in the face. Instead of punching people in the face you hit them over the head with a bike.

6. Suikoden Fan

this has made my fucking year, this is now the game i want more than anything annouced.

7. Hunam

And in the second one, you get to punch out a tiger. Two tigers in fact.

8. JonFE

Isn’t FF XIII supposed to come out in March as well?

9. Hunam

Yep. Japan is back with a vengeance. For march at least.

Cant see it making too much of a difference though, one is an RPG the other is a face punching simulator.

10. clynchehaun

looks like an expensive year…. life is hard

11. FeaturePreacher

What a bad time to release Yakuza 3. Putting Yakuza 3 against God Of War 3 seems like Sega wants Yakuza 3 to get low sales. It should be released between April and August 2010.

12. Bikki

March is a fucked up month to release a game in 2010.

13. Bleak Harvest

Gimmie Kenzan dammit!

Also, Hunman’s comment had me in tears of laughter… in the middle of class!

14. ChrisPilote

Victory!!!! Thanks Pat

15. Mike

What did Pat do?

Anyway, this might well take me over the edge in March.

16. ChrisPilote

What did he do? Well, he informed us. You know, the site being about news and all.

17. Gekidami

Stephany sheds a single tear before soldiering on.

18. ChrisPilote

Oops, I made an ass of myself. Sorry, Stephany ;)
    Pat you ol’good for nothing

19. Gekidami

To late; feeling have been hurt i’m sure. :D

20. Mike

21. ChrisPilote

Please don’t vote for me :P

22. Stephany Nunneley

/takes her beard off – proves she’s Steph

23. ChrisPilote

See? that’s why I was mistaken

24. Gekidami

You’ll never see Stephany and Pat in one room at the same time. Just sayin.

25. Stephany Nunneley

You found us out. In the afternoons, Pat dons a red curly wig and lipstick and becomes a belligerent, dyslexic southern lady obsessed with cats, her horoscope, and scotch.

It was bound to have happened sooner or later. :-D

26. theevilaires

Day 1 purchase for me :)

27. Gekidami

The demo gave me a really bad impression of it tbh. I found it abit crappy, no idea how reflective of the full game the demo is though.

28. ChrisPilote

I guess you didn’t play the previous episodes then. It’s not technically impressive indeed, but the games as a whole are really engrossing.

29. Gekidami

No i didnt. It wasnt really the gfx that i didnt like, just the overall gameplay. I dont know, maybe i’ll look into it. Having the game in English (or atleast the text) can only help to.

30. Michael O’Connor

I can die happy now.

31. distraet

*Dances*

32. Psychotext

Top news. Hopefully it’ll sell better than its predecessors in the West too.

33. Uncontested

Keeping the rich japanese voices… IE: We’re not gonna spend a dime more than we have to localizing this game..

Then we’re gonna send it to die by releasing it during March madness for VGs.

Then we’re going to tell westerners its their fault for not enjoying a game being spoken in another language. (Foreign films do SO well here don’t they??)

Then we’re going to blame western gamers (again) for not buying our game.

Then we’re gonna tell you that you can’t have Yakuza 4.

34. Soong

Speak for yourself uncontested. If the game was going to be dubbed, I wouldn’t buy it. People who have trouble reading subtitles should go back to school.

35. Uncontested

*facepalm* Yes because the majority of people who play video games think the same way as you.

They bitched about Yakuza not selling well in NA before yet they make it even more NA unfriendly. Keeping a game in Japanese is not a selling point to a mass market.

36. Soong

I get that, but I’m thinking of mainly my OWN enjoyment here. Having the Japanese gangsters from Japan walking around in Japan talking to other Japanese people in Japanese cities in New-York-gangsta-50-Cent-slang completely ruins the immersion for me even if I can’t understand Japanese.

I understand that the majority of the NA people consider reading an unreasonable challenge and that annoys me. It might be very self-centred of me, but meh – my own enjoyment comes first imo. I remember the English voice track from the first game, it completely spoiled the game for me. I was so glad the second had subs!

Anyway, the best solution is obviously having BOTH subs AND a dub in the game. Then everybody can choose whichever option they prefer and everybody is happy.
    There’s plenty of space on a Blu-ray to include both the English and the Japanese voice tracks, it’s a shame that the only reason for not doing it this way is the bad sales from the first two games.

37. zoopdeloop

Not even close “pushing the PS3 hardware to it’s limits”

38. Blerk

Yay! Result!

Please make sure you actually buy it now, PS3 owners.

39. theevilaires

Was Yakuza 2 sales bad in the west? Maybe so because I think it came out right around the new console releases. Oh well I’m still buying this day1 but sales won’t be great in the west I think. Its a cult fan hit now, but hey you never know.

40. Blerk

Yeah, Yakuza 2 sales were bad. It was nearly two years after it released in Japan and launched when the PS2 was basically dead so it was never going to do great. But it isn’t the kind of game which is easy to sell over here for some reason. I have no idea why either, because it’s awesome fun. Getting people to actually try it in the first place appears to be the struggle. The ’3′ at the end of its name possibly doesn’t help it reach new audiences either – people are generally reluctant to pick up on a series half way through.

41. theevilaires

yea I remember Garnet Lee talking about it on the 1up Podcast and this when the PS3 just came out like 3 months prior. I was wondering why he was still playing a PS2 game.

I think I’ll try to hunt it down and give it a go. I hope it hasn’t vanish like Z.O.E.2 yet.