Keighley – Halo Reach is “huge leap forward,” will be 2010′s “biggest game by far”

Monday, 7th December 2009 08:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

haloreachlogo

Halo Reach’s premiere at the VGAs next week will be a true, in-game showing of the title and looks set to debut 2010′s biggest game “by far,” if Spike’s Geoff Keighley’s comments on the latest Major Nelson podcast are to be believed.

“At the VGAs we’re actually going to be able to go down on the planet Reach and see this game for the first time,” said the presenter.

“It’s all going to be in-game stuff. This is not CG, this is not live action, like all the kids on Twitter are speculating. You’re going to get a first glimpse of the world of Reach, which is phenomenal.

He added: “I think it’s going to be the biggest game of next year by far. Folks loved ODST and thought it was great, but when people see the huge leap forward Bungie’s taking with Reach… Everyone I’ve talked to that’s been on the team and seen it is incredibly excited about that game.”

Hot shit. These quotes are pretty much the first thing Keighley says in his segment. Listen to the file at about 1.18.

The VGAs take place on December 12.

1. Johnny Cullen

I’m looking forward to Reach, but I get the feeling what Keighley is saying is just pure hype.

Palin and simple.

2. mescalineeyes

Well still, I hardly doubt Reach will be anything less than stellar.
    Like, 10/10 in EDGE awesome.

3. Anders

I honestly didn’t think that ODST was all that. But yeah, the VGA:s will be exciting none the less.

4. Herlock

The hype of this game has started…
    Halo with Cryengine and ?

5. Mike

I’m thinking open world.

6. Phoenixblight

I am with you Johnny.

THis comes to mind:

7. Patrick Garratt

*cough*openworldmassmultiplay*cough*

8. Mike

Aye. Makes sense.

9. Robo_1

Is this Bungies Halo swan song?

10. mescalineeyes

Yeah, after that the Payton/Yu team at MGS is taking over I reckon.

11. The Hindle

Yea sounds pure hype to me, people said the same about Halo 3 and that was far from an amazing step forward.

12. onyxbox

it’s going to take a lot more than words to get me hard about Halo these days.

It’s been gradually going downhill ever since Halo 1 IMO. Loved the first, got sucked into the Hype of the 2nd, 3rd was fun in Co-Op for a bit, skipped Wars and waiting for ODST Lovefilm rental to drop (not that excited about it).

Reach better be something special because for me they’ve been killing the franchise for years now.

(BTW: Multiplayer got old after Halo 2)

13. Quiiick

Wow, the “Halo 4″ hype-machine sure is starting early.

14. No_PUDding

Open-world mass multiplay sounds…. A bit of a departure.

15. jeremycafe

It’s not going to be an open-world game. They game’s development cycle is way to short for something like that. We all know bungie doesnt have the ability to actually move away from their original direction. They just remake the same game over and over again.

Everyone thought ODST was great? Fuck that. Biggest ripoff in gaming I can remember. Not only was the game less than 4 hours to beat on legendary; but they offered no way to connect with non-friends to play the multiplayer mode. And then they come up with some bullshit excuse that its impossible to make an auto-lobby system because it uses the single player engine? What a joke.

Can’t say I am a big fan of bungie/halo these days.

16. Digital Forge

I thought ODST was ‘ok’, but obviously has some areas that could have greatly benefited from additional development time.

In terms of single player I actually preferred it greatly over Halo 3, the story telling was quite good and I was generally left with the “I wonder what happened to him” thought every now and then. Length obviously an issue and should have been longer, but then, short development time probably stamped that out right from the get go.

Multiplayer is where it lacks in my opinion, which is daft coming from a Halo game. Firefight is great fun, but with no online matchmaking system it’s just redundant, for me at least.

Irony being, that if they had charged expansion pack prices of around £25 RRP the amount of negativity surrounding it may well have been a lot less.

As for Reach? Not that excited about it myself, wouldn’t mind a PC version but can’t see that happening at all.

Biggest game of 2010? A contender on brand name alone yes, but with a lot of quality titles out next year it’ll have a hell of a battle on its hands.

17. zoopdeloop

how long they will be milking out Halo just to rip off people’s money?

18. OlderGamer

“how long they will be milking out Halo just to rip off people’s money?”

The exact same length of time that Acti will milk CoD and EA will milk FIFA. Answer: As long as they can. Don’t like it, don’t buy it. Its the only way it stops.

19. Hunam

How is it a rip off? You pay your money, you get a game which you play. People like Halo, so why would Microsoft stop giving them the games they want?

20. zoopdeloop

yeah but microsoft shows clearly how desperate they are to release as many 1st party titles as they can …and since they don’t have many.Halo is the way to go.It’s time to let go…and bring on new projects.
    They’re milking it out big time.FAIL

21. Hunam

That’s hardly true, in the last 2 years they have either released or shut down all but two of their first party developers. Halo is their Mario. You wouldn’t ask nintendo to stop making mario games because people still want them. It’s just the way it is.

22. mescalineeyes

1) Microsoft seems to be the least desperate, hell, one would argue they released essentially 1 first party title this year
    2) We’ve had 3 Halo titles so far this console generation, compared to 5 Call of Duties. Hardly milking.

As far as I am concerned, Halo is epic win.

23. zoopdeloop

wasn’t Halo supposed to be a Trilogy?Microsoft is to chiken shit to let it go and try with a leap of faith new projects to attract people and win a new fanbase…that’s what it seems

24. zoopdeloop

it is milking.They did said back then that Halo would stop on 3.Trilogy…and now they are milking it

25. OlderGamer

It amazes me sometimes that while people gte pissed at Microsoft for “hyping” Halo, they eat up CoD, Ass2, and countless other Franchise sequal based games. Halo is Micrsofts baby. Its is probably the one single game that earned them a spot at the table. To think they will stop is like expecting EA to drop sports games. Sony ain’t gonna drop GT or any of their big name games either. Just silly.
    I can understand gamers getting tired of Halo, esp older gamers like myself. Halo seems like its arcade run and gun gamestyle is a better fit with the younger crowd anyways(no offense intended). I notice most seasoned vets seem to like the more thinky elements and deeper gameplay offered in fps like CoD, Mag, and esp Battlefield. But those games dive deeper into teamwork and strategy. Halo is about the one lone hero. the single guy that rips up the game and makes an impact. Kids love that feeling. Try that in a Bad Company and get you will get smacked down hard. So let the Halo fans enjoy their game. It sells millions, proving that it has millions of fans. Live and let live.
    I do, however, smell hype.

26. pleasant_cabbage

ODST was as tired as Halo gets. Flat, repetitive, with a pretty high ‘we’ve seen it all before’ vibe. Imo. Unless this is really different I don’t think I’ll bother with it.

Maybe the ‘huge leap forward’ thing was about using Natal in it? ;)

27. zoopdeloop

No but if a company announces that their project is supposed to end in a Trilogy and then takes it back…seems to me they want to rip off money.
    If Assassins Creed is said to be finished in 3 and then they are trying with other expansions or even 4th 5th game… i would totally lose respect.
    Like Sony…They said that GoW3 will be the last of the series(the story ends there)they do know that the franchise brought them a lot of funs and $$$ but they are ending it with GoW3 and they are not milking it anymore and eventualy they will try working on something else…that’s the way to go

28. Hunam

They did confuse the Trilogy part, that I can agree with, but it was never going to end. It would be like asking Sony to stop making Uncharted games or Wipeout games or Killzone games. I know a lot of people who really love Halo, I’m not one of them, I just like the games, but some people I know have the comics and the books and play the game every week. If anything, Microsoft probably is not doing enough the appease the hardcore halo fans.

Right now Microsoft are in a transition, they are moving from developer to publisher. You’ll start seeing more exclusives by third parties in 2010 published by microsoft no doubt, and then you’ve got all the NATAL stuff. If that doesn’t float your boat, how about the wholly original Alan Wake?

29. reask

Well I will be getting it og and I aint 15.
    I mean whats peoples problem here.

We get a new tiger woods every year ffs.
    COD
    MOH
    UC
    etc etc.

If it is selling it would be a bit daft not to make another one imo.

30. theevilaires

More air Nike Jordan jumping Space marines on the way :P

31. Hunam

I still really need to get Uncharted 2, but my bank balance is woeful.

32. zoopdeloop

Don’t have really high hopes for Natal really ;)
    and as i said before Sony is ending GoW which is one of her most popular franchises…like Halo is for Microsoft.Evolution is to move forward to something new.Not to remain stationary.
    Microsoft is trying to become a publisher…but most developers nowdays don’t want exclusive contracts…they prefer going multiplatform
    And after Ps3 got it’s momentum…don’t think that they will dish out ps3 just for an exclusivity with Microsoft with less sales

33. Johnny Cullen

Sorry, but anyone saying ODST is a rip-off while they bought it themselves, you might as well say you ripped yourself off.

ODST is a decent filler game in the Halo series. Nothing on the three trillogy games before hand, but none the less stil good enough.

34. Doc Robotnik

No zoop, Sony will not be ending God of War after ’3′, not a chance. It’s likely to be the biggest selling game in the PS3′s history – and my god does the PS3 need some decent sales. Uncharted 2, for example, is a phenominal game, and yet it barely broke 1 million. It dropped off of the PS3 top 5 after only a week on sale, let alone all-formats.

Also, I have much higher hopes for Natal than I do Sony’s bizarre looking Wii-mote-alike. Although in all honesty I’m not overly fussed about any of them, unless I can use Natal like a Minority Report style UI :)

35. mescalineeyes

“It would be like asking Sony to stop making Wipeout games”

Dude, if you ever talk to Sony, and you even dare to bring up the words “Stop”, “making” and “Wipeout” in the same sentence, I will stab you in the heart so help me god.

36. Phoenixblight

@Robotank

The developers for God of War have stated this is the finale. They have stated multiple times this is it for God of War. They are looking for other franchises to sell.

37. Doc Robotnik

ODST retailed at 29.99 almost everywhere in the UK at launch – cheaper at most online retailers.

For a game that was released at a cheaper price than most Wii titles, I think ODST was good value for money. A solid, if unremarkable, campaign, Firefight and the entire Halo 3 multiplayer experience. What on earth were people expecting from a glorified expansion?

Anyone saying it can be done in 4 hours in legendary is a tool. And no, speedruns don’t count because it means you’ve likely already played the game multiple times.

Anyone saying Microsoft are milking it are also tools. Yes, tools. It’s a funny and insulting word, tools. Highly appropriate.

Six Halo games since 2001 (including Reach), so that’ll be 6 games in 10 years. Compared to…

FIFA – 16 games in 10 years (That’s JUST Xbox and 360)
    GTA – 10 games in 10 years
    COD – 12 games in 6 years!

…milking what now?

38. Doc Robotnik

“Phoenixblight”

What, you mean in the same way that Bungie are going to stop making Halo games and Microsoft are conveniently passing the license to another internal developer?

You do realise Sony own the GoW IP, right? It might well be the last GoW in the ‘series’, but don’t count your chickens – if it sells well, Kratos will be back.

39. JonFE

I seriously doubt that God of War / Kratos will stop at GoW3. If this were true, why did they port the previous installments over to the PS3, if not to build a legacy of some sort?

40. Blerk

I’m thinking this is going to end up looking ‘kind of like Halo’.

41. The Hindle

The difference between Sony and Microsoft is Sony have actually made a lot of new Ips this generation whilst all Microsoft have done is Halo well gears as well.

42. The Hindle

Doc robotnic

Unlike Microsoft Sony aint even released thier biggest games yet. Watch as Gt sells a lot of copies mate

43. jeremycafe

How can you say ODST is not a ripoff? Bungie commented the plan for the price of the game would be 29.99 USD. What did it sell at? 59.99 USD. And guess what, no game features were added from when they announced the original price other than adding the original halo 3 maps (which almost all of us have already paid for). So yes, it was a rip off. The price was increased for a project that had less than a year of development time. No way in hell did it deserve the price tag of a full game.

44. zoopdeloop

Sony has stated multiple times that GoW III is the last of the series.Krato’s story ends…If you have played GoW 1 and GoW 2 you’ll know that in 3 it’s the last battle for Kratos… they have said that they will probably go with another mythology for their next game.
    FIFA is a football game for crying out loud…how can you bring that up.It has nothing to do with games that somewhat supposed to be story driven and someday they’ll have to end.
    The difference here from other developers is that Microsoft doensn’t have a lot of Ip’s and they are trying to milk it out thus releasing every year a new installment in the series the one and only that made them famous since xbox…I don’t take them seriously and i don’t have respect for them.That would change if they will try to bring some new projects like Alan Wake…but it’s still not enough.
    As for Natal…really don’t have high hopes about it.We haven’t seen anything that really accurately demonstrates it’s capabilities yet about it. I see a lot of issues and bugs in the horizon.
    Ps3 wand isn’t better…but at least it’s a tested formula(Wii Remote)

45. Doc Robotnik

“Microsoft is milking Halo since the game was stated back then hundrends of times that it’s a Trilogy…accept that.”

No, Bungie have always stated the Master Chief’s story arc (on Halo) is a trilogy. Not the Halo universe.

“Ps3 wand isn’t better…but at least it’s a tested formula(Wii Remote)”

So, on the one hand you’re complaining about things being milked, but on the other you’d rather see a ‘tried and tested’ copycat controller than something original?

Can you spell hypocrite?