Iwata: Majora’s Mask was a “turning point” for Nintendo

Friday, 4th December 2009 19:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

majorasmask

Nintendo bossman Satoru Iwata has said that N64′s Majora’s Mask was a “turning point” for Nintendo, giving the company a “glimpse” of compact gameplay of the future.

“The ‘Three-Day System’, the idea of a compact world to be played over and over again, came down from Miyamoto-san and one other director, (Yoshiaki) Koizumi-san,” explained Zelda’s Eiji Aonuma in the latest edition of Iwata Asks. “We added that to the mix, and then, finally, we saw the full substance of a The Legend of Zelda game we could make in one year.”

“Actually, I feel as though, back then, we were given a glimpse of the concept that ‘Deep, compact play is one form of the games of the future’,” added Iwata. “I think in that sense, as a product, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask was a big turning point for Nintendo.”

Those who are not lucky enough to still own a N64 system can get the game via the Virtual Console.

Via CVG.

1. Hunam

Majora’s Mask is almost as bad as the phillips CD games. Absolute disaster.

2. Phoenixblight

What?!

It wasn’t as good as Ocarina of Time granted but it still was a great game. I loved the change of pace with Zelda vs just rehash the game only with better graphics. MM just seemed like a darker version of Zelda. I loved that game. Damn I miss my Wii want to replay the game so bad now.

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I never liked MM. I loved all the main Zelda games except Zelda 2 (NES), CD based, and MM.

Personally, I felt as thought it was a lazy excuse for game design to have us re-visiting same areas over and over again albeit in a different time, rather than giving us something as beautiful, diverse, and epic as Ocarina.

4. hitnrun

I only watched someone else play it, but every time I looked at the screen – for an entire summer – he was a rolling ball of feces.

5. Phoenixblight

Rolling a ball of feces? Sure it was the right game? You just speaking metaphorically?

6. Hero of Canton

Mental. Majora’s Mask is one of the most emotive and inventive Zelda games.

I also think this could be a hint at the kind of structural change rumoured to be happening in the next Wii Zelda.