Riccitiello says Mirror’s Edge “deserves a sequel”

Thursday, 3rd December 2009 17:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

mirrorsedgea5

EA’s John Riccitiello has said that Mirror’s Edge deserves a sequel, but that the developers are still working what to do with the design.

“We’re still working through things like how to best deal with Mirror’s Edge 2,” he told Kotaku. “There are some things we learned about that [first] game. It was, I think, a massively innovative product. To be honest with you, I think it’s a game that deserves to come back.”

“Innovation doesn’t mean it all works the first time. If it did everyone would do it. I think Mirror’s Edge was a fascinatingly original world. Fascinatingly original art direction. Music and sound design was great. I think the gameplay mechanic was a blast, but was intermittent and the levels didn’t work.

“You found yourself scratching at walls at times, looking for what to do. Sometimes you had a roll going, downhill, slide, jump, slide, jump and then you just got stopped. It sort of got in the way of the fun.

“It was like we couldn’t quite decide if we were building Portal or a runner. And I don’t think the consumer was ready to switch it up quite that way. You could say it was a sharp and great innovation. I believe that it was. You have to figure out what to do from here if you want it to be a five million seller vs. a one-million unit seller.

“I’ve had several very lively debates with the dev team. And they are working on it. But there’s a couple of different directions you could go.”

There’s loads more through the link.

1. nea

It sure does deserve a sequel. For me it is still the best because innovative and fun game for years. Of course it has it flaws, what game doesn’t. But I just liked it! I just WANTED to play it! And it kept me playing… kept me coming back even when I died over 60 times (yes, I counted) at one single segment one time after the other.

I just loved it!

2. theevilaires

so does Dead Space

3. Quiiick

Great news! :)
    Loved the first Mirror’s Edge despite its flaws.

4. jnms

The only shame about Mirror’s Edge is that it wasn’t more successful. But that is due to consumers being fucking idiots who want cloned games.

Mirror’s Edge was pretty much perfect.

5. onlineatron

Damn right it does!

Mirror’s Edge is a really tough game to pin…
    On the one hand I can’t fault it for pushing for something new but on the other hand it ruined itself by going claustrophobic, putting you in office blocks and warehouses. The game was at it’s bet when you were bounding across rooftops. It was also spoilt by dodgy story and combat.

But given all that… all the problems I had with it, it always seemed underpinned by the nagging feeling that it could really be something else if given a sequel.

Go for it EA!

6. abbe

I agree with everyone above me.
    Well, except theevilaires.

7. Aimless

I’d just like to say that I really respect John Riccitiello. He actually genuinely knows what he’s talking about; it’s almost unnerving.

8. Johnny Cullen

I demand Mirror’s Edge 2 within the next 12 months.

Or there will be hell to pay.

9. Len

I’ll chip in and pay hell as well JC.

Really looking fwd to a sequel and more chilled out tunes…

10. Mr-Brett

Great to hear that Riccitiello understands that the Mirror’s Edge IP has huge potential and that the first was at times a great game.

Always good to hear that just because a game didn’t sell as much as expected that it isn’t written off straight away.

11. Gekidami

Mirror’s Edge had potential, but the first one was sort of crappy honnestly.

12. NiceFellow

Sounds sensible.

The first showed real promise, but it had four major flaws IMHO:

1 – they used wrong engine for that kind of game, levels ended up too small. Something like the engine under Uncharted or Assassin’s Creed would be much better

2 – they couldn’t get the level’s balanced well for running difficulty, causing all sorts of unevenness that the average gamer just isn’t going to go for. They also struggled a little to get a real sense of ebb and flow, with smaller sections and bigger set pieces – I’d advise they review Uncharted 2 carefully as it does this very well

3 – they couldn’t work out place nor balance for combat, particularly melee combat which is a shame. The melee was a particular flaw as the concept meant I felt I should be either running or using slick unarmed combat and it just didn’t come off well.

4 – they forced you too run too much and missed the obvious game mechanic to mix with the title’s low combat concept – stealth and investigation sections

13. Gekidami

I’d add the games weak, almost laughable story to that.

14. Bulk Slash

I thought the levels of Mirror’s Edge were perfectly designed, the locations had fantastic variety and more than that, they were gorgeous to look at. I still think it’s the best looking game of this generation. It feels a bit like a spiritual successor to Jet Set Radio to me.

I can see what Riccitiello means about the flow of running sometimes stopping but for the most part I think that’s just down to learning the game. These days I can run through most levels with hardly a single break in movement, it’s all about learning the best routes. I think if they make it too easy to make a perfect run through the levels it would make the game a bit dull.

Still, sounds like they know that the core gameplay is nigh on perfect, they just need to dump the story and either dump or fix the combat.

15. Jadeskye

I loved everything about this game. It was fresh, it was graphically interesting with the large amounts of bloom and purposefully serene city. The story was weak but the story telling engine (aka the ‘manga’ style) which many felt was out of place, really sat well with me.

I liked faith, it’s good to see a genuinely strong female character thats not oozing sex appeal to sell copies to 13 year old boys. But she’s also exotic enough for you to want to know more about her.

Combat (as bulk said) was a little weak, but deffinately on the right track, i like the idea of integrating the free running aspect with taking down dudes, could just be a hell of a lot smoother.

I would buy a sequal day one.