Future “experimenting” with charged online games content

Friday, 27th November 2009 13:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

money3

Future’s confirmed it’s planning on charging for web content, and is already dipping its toe in the water.

“We’re experimenting in small places right across the portfolio, because we don’t have the answer yet,” said CEO Stevie Spring in an interview with Brand Republic. “Our strategy online is do and learn. We’re learning as we go along.”

The exec added: “When you come to our content and the reason that we can charge an average of five pounds for a magazine is that we do very nice, very must-have, very special content, and if anybody is going to pay for anything they are more likely to pay for that. That’s why we use the word prosumer, it’s much closer to business-to-business.”

So. We’re going to start charging a quid a day for VG247 starting next week. You’re all up for that; right?

More on GI.

1. Phoenixblight

SO let me see if I have this right they are gonna start charging people to go on their website. Yeah fat chance, shit like this should have started when the internet was first released. IGN started doing that with Insider and it failed horribly.

2. Whizzo

A phrase about a drowning man and straw comes to mind.

3. Detale

A quid a day for VG247? Bargain.

4. Eregol

It’ll probably be like a subs thing, where if they pay a certain amount a month they’ll get money off offers for certain places or demos and other stuff through your e-mail.
    Probably.

5. Blerk

They were previously talking about doing special stuff for people who subscribe to a particular magazine, so you wouldn’t pay extra for it above what you were already dropping on the sub.

All the same… silly idea. There’s roughly one bazillion other places on the internet to get stuff for free.

6. Phoenixblight

SO like Fileplanet? Again huge fail.

7. gorman

Wow… it’s for strokes of genius like this that Ingham “got sent away”. Thanks Stevie (that’s Stevie Pat, she’s a lady…).

Also, you charge an average of five pounds per copy due to attached DVDs, demos and so on. Surely not solely for the content.

8. jnms

They charge £5 per magazine. But how much could they charge if they competed with 100,000 magazines that were all free?

Hang on – that’s the nature of the Internet isn’t it?

9. Bulk Slash

It worked so well for IGN. Maybe Edge can hire some bird with big knockers to deliver games news? If she wears some glasses we can all pretend it’s still very highbrow.

10. Blerk

Where do I subscribe?

11. Eregol

@Bulk
    If she has big knockers maybe they’ll charge people to watch her get them out?
    It’d be worth paying for.

12. Petulant Radish

I haven’t bought a magazine in about 10 years thanks to the wonders of the internet. I see no reason to buy an online version of it, at least with the print you could do things with it afterwards, like build a scale model of the Titanic out of papier mache, or eat it. You can’t wipe your bottom with online words can you?

13. Eregol

I have subscribed to Edge and Gamestm. They provide me with a very good read when I am on my commute.
    I couldn’t cope without them really.
    If I am desperate I tend to buy OPM as it’s the only other decent mag out.

14. OrphanageExplosion

It’s awesome that Future “diss” Murdoch’s attempts at charging for content when their own is arguably of a lower quality.

Maybe – maybe – they could charge for Edge. A cut-price sub for a PDF rendition perhaps? Which is then pirated to fuck?

15. Patrick Garratt

I’d love to be able to charge for news. Say 5p per day once you click passed the homepage, yeah? I’ll get my tits out once a week, or do a video podcast in a thong or something. Sound good?

16. Blerk

I’d pay 5p a day for you not to do that.

17. Patrick Garratt

I like them apples. If a few hundred people did that, we’d literally make pounds per day.

18. Mike

10 pence per penis.

19. OrphanageExplosion

I’d pay a sub for a webcam livefeed to the Patcave, if it came with a button that electrified Pat into action if at any point I feel I am not getting the service I demand.

And by the way, I have copyrighted the phrase, “Patcave”.

20. OrphanageExplosion

Well, it’s actually more a “word” than a “phrase” really but regardless, it’s mine.

21. Blerk

“Patcave” lol! :-D

22. Eregol

I never want to enter Pat’s Cave.
    I gather he wouldn’t like that either.

23. OrphanageExplosion

Patcave > Aladdin’s Cave.

It’s that simple.