Developer says Sony and Microsoft are interested in console MMOs

Thursday, 26th November 2009 16:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

zombie

Undead Labs founder, Jeff Strain, has revealed that Microsoft and Sony like the idea of console-based subscription MMOs despite the obstacles.

“There are still hurdles to jump with both Sony and Microsoft,” he told Develop. “But people will make it much easier to jump the hurdle if people can come to the table and say ‘we’re making a console-only MMO from the ground-up.

“I’ve been talking to them for years and I think they very much want to see this. There are lots of sticking points to get through. The questions will be how billing works, how the revenue is recognized and who gets what,” adding that console makers are currently “feeling their way through the whole MMO business model”.

Undead Labs is currently working on an unnamed console-based MMO with zombies.

Via CVG.

1. onlineatron

I’d imagine Sony is a tad more ‘interesting’ then Microsoft.

What with DCU: Online, The Agency and FFXIV coming out.

2. blackdreamhunk

age of conan, maple story and meny mmo’s was to be on consoles.

I have one thing to say they are going to flop and hard for meny reasons.

also there is no way any of the console mmo’s could compete with the the mmo’s coming to pc.

guildwars 2, blizzard next mmo and kotor will be cutting edge compared to mmo’s on consoles.

that is if those game ever come at all.

also them console mmo’s can’t compete with the free to games on pc.

3. Psychotext

I’m not sure why console makers would want people addicted to one game… rather than going out and buying lots of different ones. Unless of course they planned on significant subscription fees.

4. Gekidami

They’d rather reap a subscription along side individual game sales. I doubt having one would affect the other.

5. Psychotext

I don’t know about that. Most of the people I know that play WoW don’t touch anything else (and that includes me back when I was playing it).

That’s obviously great if you’re the publisher, but it doesn’t really do console manufacturers much good… unless they’re getting a meaty slice of the pie.

6. freedoms_stain

I daresay the size of the slice of pie is one of the ‘didfficulties’ involved.

If you’re developing an mmo you don’t really want to commit to handing over a large percentage of the earnings to a 3rd party in case the thing bombs and you’re left struggling to recoup costs. Of course that’s no sweat for Sony or MS because they have nothing actually invested in the game, it’s gravy for them or it’s meh.

7. cachucha

i would really pay fee to play an mmorpg on consoles if it offers something different to what we have on pc, where we have a lot of choices from different price ranges.

8. Mauller

Lol, I can see it now. You’re in the middle of a raid and you get your reminder that 1vs100 starts soon, “sorry guys, gotta log”

9. Kalain

I reckon the subscription fees will be higher for a console MMO because of the fees which MS and Sony will levey against the MMO Developer. Sure, they can do it, but they will be very limited in scope compared to the PC MMO’s.

I would half expect to see a MW MMO dedicated to consoles.

10. Gekidami

If i remember correctly theres no difference between FFXI’s fees on PC and console.

11. Kalain

But is FFXI using PSN at all?

Both Sony and MS charge developers for network space/usage. It may be a one of cost to the developer or a continuous one, so the fee might be higher 9.99 or 10.99 per month instead of 8.99.

Sony and MS are both going to want a piece of the console MMO pie and any revenue that comes along with it.