House: Packaged games “not going away any time soon”

Wednesday, 25th November 2009 14:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

umda

SCEE president Andrew House has said that despite PSPgo and PSN enabling customers to purchase games digitally, packaged games are not going the way of the Dodo any time soon.

As a matter of fact, Sony plans to continue to support packaged media as an “additive to the business”, and according to House, business would have to shift in order to meet a digital demand, along with learning how best to market non-physical items.

“I think we were always fairly clear, as far back as the original announcements, that this wasn’t a replacement for the current PSP-3000 offering, and that it sits alongside that and packaged media,” he told GI.biz. “It’s additive to the business. The early sales numbers that we’ve seen bear that out – I don’t think there’s been a huge amount of cannibalization, and I think those sales have come in and lifted overall PSP sales.

“It’s clearly demonstrated that there is a consumer out there, and it’s validated that proposition in moving more towards a digital download as a preferred means of getting content.

“Make no mistake, when you’re looking at PS3 games and you’re seeing the shift in the sheer size of the data that’s becoming available, the packaged media business is not going away any time soon.”

Full thing through the link.

1. Eregol

I sincerely hope not.
    As handy as digital is I love having a physical product in my hands.
    And an instruction booklet can be nice to have too. Mainly for the nice pictures.

2. Stephany Nunneley

I feel the same way about books and PlayGirl.

3. Psychotext

Perv!

4. Eregol

How can you objectify men to that level?

5. Stephany Nunneley

It was joke. Seriously. LOL! Looked at a PlayGirl once when I was 14. Scarred me for life it did. Men are scary now.

6. Blerk

Only the sorts of men who appear in those kinds of magazines. Geek boys who play games and type on the internets and stuff are hot stuff for the ladies. Like.

7. Stephany Nunneley

Actually, you’re right Blerk. To hell with mountain climbers and footballers with hamburger for brains when a gal can get a fella that works her mind and plays Gears 2 with her and is thrilled to have a lady friend instead of conquering them.

I’ll take the later any hour of the day, thanks. ;-)

8. Psychotext

/puts on nice T-shirt

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Sony needs to make a statement regarding the cost between UMB vs digital download and what justifies them being identical.

It’s a hot topic these days.