Guy suing WoW over “alienation”, subpoenas Winona Ryder and Depeche Mode

Wednesday, 25th November 2009 15:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

brayingjackass

Lawsuit crazy Erik Estavillo’s at it again, but this time instead of suing Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo, he’s suing Activision Blizzard over World of Warcraft and wants to subpoena Winona Ryder and Depeche Mode’s Martin Gore as witnesses.

Filed in California, the civil complaint states that WoW uses “deceitful” business practices, as it “continues to maintain a harmful virtual environment to many of its customers by forcing them to follow the game’s sneaky and deceitful practices.”

One complaint is that his character has “to walk or run at a calculated slow pace, resulting in the player taking longer to get where he or she needs to go in the game.” His claim is that because of this, it takes longer to play the game which is a “deceitful practice” in revenue generation from ActiBlizz, as faster travel is not available until a player levels up or buys an expansion pack.

Estavillo also claims that his health problems (OCD, Agoraphobia, Panic Disorder, major depression and Crohn’s Disease) are getting worse, and he does not want to end up like EverQuest gamer Shawn Woolley, who took his own life in 2001, and like Shawn, he “relies on videogames heavily for the little ongoing happiness he can achieve in this life.”

OK, now how does Depeche Mode’s founder and Winona Ryder come into play with this bit of lunacy? Because both can provide “testimony on his behalf regarding the subject of alienation”. Surely they’ll both be honored to appear in court for him, no?

That’s it. We’re stopping there, and letting you read the rest over on GamePolitics.

1. Psychotext

Surely at some point some sort of mental health officials should step in and help this guy?

2. Robo_1

Well lol my lollerskates if that isn’t one of the most batshit mental news stories I’ve ever seen posted.

Crazy, crazy story though. I doubt it’ll get anywhere near a courtroom.. more’s the pity. :D

3. Stephany Nunneley

I am still loling over it. What a jackass. Step away from the monitor, go to Kmart, buy a life, and live it.

4. theevilaires

Let this be a lesson to all…..NEVER START A WOW ACCOUNT :D

5. Eregol

Fucking Americans (Sorry to all those nice sensible Americans out there).
    Seriously, this guy needs to get a life instead of trying his hand at crazy shit like this.

6. Mauller

I wish he would just take his life. I want someone to counter sue his ass, take away all of his video games and then let him fall onto a knife. I’m sorry but this kind of parasite has no place in society.

7. cachucha

my hero :D

8. OrbitMonkey

@Mualler: A bit harsh mate, you a defence lawyer for WoW?
    @Eregol:Theirs no such thing as a nice sensible American, god bless the crazy fuckers :-)

9. Mauller

@OrbitMonkey

Nope, I don’t even play WoW. Just hate people like this in general. Will do nothing in life so yet feel that they should be compensated. Basically soak up money being given to them for nothing when there are others who could make much better use of it. This person I would assume is incapable of working and obviously spends what money he has coming to him on video games when there are people who are trying to support entire families or go without housing all together. Does that sound fair or right?

10. Eregol

@Orbit
    I did think that. But didn’t want to be lambasted as racist or xenophobic by Americans who actually come here.

I doubt they know what xenophobic means anyway. ;-)

11. Mauller

Lol, I’m Canadian :D. I understand xenophobic!!

12. wordie101

depeche mode the worlds greatest band ….in my opinion …Martin Gore getting dragged into this bull crap because of alienation WTF!!!! i sweare this world is getting worst buy the day (hangs his head in shame to be called human ) :-)

as for WoW …i must go delete my account now i dont want to end up like this berk !!! ;-)

13. Eregol

@Mauller
    You’re Canadian, not American, hence you understand the word.
    Congratulations.
    :-D

14. Phoenixblight

Lets see he rolled the character, played it and then he complains the character walks slower? He paid the 15$ a month knowing this and he wants to sue Blizzard because he has no accountability. I fear for the future, I really do.

@Eregol

I thought you were a down to earth guy apparrently I was very wrong. I am American and I know what xenophobia is and I actually believe you have it.

15. Eregol

@Phoenix
    I’m only joking man. I don’t mean it at all. Not xenophobic in the slightest.
    Orbit made me do it. Honestly. Read my first post where I said that I didn’t intend to offend the sensible Americans out there.
    Just playing along, tis all.

16. Stephany Nunneley

@12 I doubt he will even get involved. Seriously. The case will be dismissed before it even goes to court, the docs burned by the officiating judge, the ashes pissed on, and then all will get a good laugh over it down at the pub the legal folks hang out in after work.

17. Mauller

I also have to admit that I LOVE the tag lines for this article. Awesome job Stephany.

18. Stephany Nunneley

:-D Thanks Mauller!

19. Spaced Oddity

@ OrbitMonkey

I’m a nice, sensible American you son of a bitch! ;) lol

There is definitely something wrong with my country (many somethings, in fact). The way we alienate people, glorify violence then perverse sexuality, and how we let idiots abuse the legal system like this spotlight-starved drama queen. I blame MTV.