Tue, Nov 24, 2009 | 07:51 GMT
Atkinson to attempt MW2 reclassification in Australia
South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson – Australia’s most visible opponent to the country adopting an 18 age rating for games – has confirmed he’s to appeal an OFLC decision to release Modern Warfare 2 with a 15+ rating in the country.
Speaking on radio show National Interest last week, Atkinson said he thought the ruling “is wrong,” adding:
“This decision doesn’t surprise me. The Classification Board in Australia does everything to try and get games in under the radar.”
If he’s successful, the game could be banned from sale in Australia.
In an email to Gamespot, Atkinson accused the game of “glorifying terrorism”:
“I worry about any game that encourages gamers to perpetrate extreme violence and cruelty on screen, but this game [Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2] allows players to be virtual terrorists and gain points by massacring civilians. Expecting game designers to be responsible by not glorifying terrorism will always lead to disappointment,” he said.
More through there.