Aonuma: Ocarina of Time is “not that good”

Monday, 23rd November 2009 15:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

zeldaartmain

Pitchforks and shotguns at dawn! Get them out!

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has revealed in an recent interview, translated by GAF, he reckons that the infamous Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is “not that good.”

Buuurn.

If you play Ocarina of Time nowadays, you notice that it’s not that good,” said Aonuma.

Again, burn.

It’s complicated. Past things belong to our memories, and they grow bigger in there.

“Sometimes it doesn’t move as fast as it should, graphics aren’t as beautiful as they should be; there are some confusing parts… any present Zelda is technically superior. Everything goes faster, more fluid.”

Thanks, CVG.

1. freedoms_stain

I still like to play it every now and then even though I know it pretty much inside-out by now.

It’s still great imo.

2. Syrok

He also says “but to best Ocarina of Time, a great change –comparable to what happened back then- must be introduced. And that’ll be rather complicated.”

3. Anders

Like a lot of old games, OoT is at its best when I remember it – not when I play it. A Link to the Past is still great though.

4. Hunam

I played OoT only a few years ago and I loved it to bits. TP was a disaster though.

5. Blerk

I’ve played the first hour of OoT about three or four times and never managed to make it past there through sheer boredom. I guess you had to be there. :-|

6. Wonko

A remake to current-gen standards is due? ;)

7. The Hindle

*shudders at memories of Water Temple*

8. Leathersoup

heh I’ve always thought the game was kinda mediocre.

9. Jockie

While we’re criticizing highly acclaimed games from yesteryear, I just want to say that Goldeneye was a crap unbalanced mess of a game!

10. freedoms_stain

@9, I actually agree with that sentiment 100%. If there’s one game that people look back on with the thickest of rose-tinted glasses then it’s Goldeneye.

makes me piss my pants.

11. Mauller

@10 You want to talk about a game that people look back on with rose-tinted glasses, lets not forget FF7. Such an incredibly over rated game.

12. Scyrenn

I first played OoT during the GameCube days, on the Zelda collection disc, and I did manage to finish it, thought it was quite brilliant, great music, atmosphere…

And I don’t see how FF7 can be overrated, seeing how it’s mankinds single greatest achievement ever and all…

13. OlderGamer

Personialy I haven’t played a FF game worth playing on a console scince the SNES. Some of the handheld remakes and redos were nice of course. But PSone, PStwo? Nope. No thanks. But to be fair I also feel that the post SNES console cycle is the begining of the down fall of the JRPG is general. Retold stories, bad VOs, gender bending heros, and more. They just turn me off. Maybe because I am older now? But when you were looking at pixels on Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, or FF, you weren’t beaten over the head with Japans … shall we say, unique style. In terms of char designs, interactions, world creation etc.
    I understand that those are fighting words to some, oh well just a video game anyway you look at it. But I would rather spend time in Tourchlight, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Sacred2, Fallout 3, The Witcher, DA:O and so much more. I look back fondly on those old JRPGS of Nes, Gen, SNES, and TG16, they were great games to grow up on. But it seems to me that JRPGS today are stuck in the past, and I have indeed grown up.
    As for OoT? Yes it was good. For its day it was very good. But like every Zelda after it, it lacked the magic that was Zelda Link to the Past.