MW2 on PC outsold PC version of CoD4 in one week, says Infinity Ward

Friday, 20th November 2009 15:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

modernwarfare24

Infinity Ward’s Robert Bowling has posted on the Modern Warfare 2 boards that the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has already outsold the PC version of the original Modern Warfare.

This is despite the PC version having the smallest market share when compared to the console versions.

“The PC version of Modern Warfare 2 has actually outsold the PC version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in its first week,” wrote Bowling,”making it the most successful PC version.”

Bowling did not provide numbers, but it sounds like the lack of dedicated servers didn’t matter to loads of folks.

Via BigDownload.

1. Phoenixblight

Whats that about the petitions and Hardcore PC gamers will have their day for MW2. Hmm I must of forgot…

2. Psychotext

My words are wibbly.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Yeh! acti vision wil never mees with PC gamer becaues we will bring you down by boy coting you rgame.

My words are solid! ahahahahahahahaha!

this new sstory has made my day! ahahahahahaha!

So it begins!

4. blackdreamhunk

here is a really great video MW2 on pc

you know why MW2 sold so well it’s called over hyped marketing.

200 million on marketing

5. pleasant_cabbage

:D
    I wondered if it would even sell one copy, what with pc gamers just being able to craft everything conceivable into existence by themselves anyway.

6. Phoenixblight

If Activision has the money to put 200 million into market then its their choice to. I fail to see your point in this BDH. Activision has made its money back and then some.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Acti did not put $200m into marketing.

The game cost $50-60m, and that includes marketing.

8. DarkElfa

You know, there is no reason whatsoever to take the hits at PC gamer that you guys do, not all of us are jerks, we just like the advantages we get from using a PC.

9. blackdreamhunk

the very reason console game devs go bankuprt too.

oh by the chances are pc gamers have modded MW 2 to our liking by now with alot of mods.

10. DaMan

no, he’s not a troll :(

11. Kalain

Having played the game, I’m trying to figure out where the money went to. It took me just over 7 hours to complete it. 7 HOURS? For £45 for a game, that is taking advantage of the people who buy games. Is this what the console generation has given us? Small, minimal content games with massive price tags?

I’m glad I had already pre-ordered Dragon Age on my PC, with a minimum of 60 hours gameplay for £30, that, compared to MW2, is a bargain.

12. Phoenixblight

Kalain COD is now bought for the Multiplayer not the single player game. Most FPS are heading that direction.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Most people who play the MW2 multiplayer will breeze past 60 hours without even noticing.

14. Phoenixblight

Yeah if you want a FPS with story aim for Bioshock atleast 20 hours on that game. DAO is a good pick so far have 100 hours with two consecutive playthrough. Taking a break from the game to play GoW Collection.

15. Kalain

Then why have a single player component when the vast majority of the game is multiplayer? This is why I don’t understand this generation of games.

They cite all fantastic graphics, physics etc etc, yet you really pay any attention to them when you are in multiplayer. And then the single player aspect appears to be tacked on just to showcase effects you aren’t going to take notice of.

I cannot understand how they can spend £50-60 million on the development of this game when they, obviously, spent little time on one aspect of it.

If IW knew that most people are going to play multiplayer and avoid the single player, which people have done, then why not just make a multiplayer game and make it the best they can? Surely that would be much better than doing massive amounts of multiplayer capabilities and tagging on a 7 hr single player game.

Again, is this what this generation of consoles have given us? Shorter games for inflated prices and spiral costs of game development.

16. Phoenixblight

@Kalain

Thats Activision for you. TO exploit the hell out of a game to milk it as much as possible. Microsoft does the same with the Halo series. It all depends on the company. ANd its not what consoles are doing this is what big corporations are doing, even if the PC was the only platform they would still do the same. Luckly there are companies like Bioware.

17. G1GAHURTZ

The SP campaign is 6-8 hours played through once.

I’ve done it twice, once on Hardened, once on Veteran. I still intend to go back and find all of the collectibles, so there’s still a few hours left in that.

The Spec Ops is about another 10-15 hours if you go for everything on Veteran. All in all, if I’m after single player hours, then I personally am looking at roughly 25-30 hours, without the Spec ops missions that require two players.

If I add co-op, and trying to beat times/high scores in Spec Ops, then I’m looking at as many hours at it takes me to get bored of that particular mode.

And all of that is without the MP, and I have no idea why someone wouldn’t even want to at least try it for a couple of hours worth of matches.

Anyway, the thing about MW2′s SP is that Bowling (iirc) has been quoted as saying that they’ve intentionally kept the SP at that length, because they feel that it’s the right length for their game.

Not because they were concentrating on something else. They have a SP team and a MP team, so it’s not like they just didn’t get around to making more levels.

Sure, if you only intend to play through it once, 7 hours is not worth £45, by any means.

However, it’s not like that’s all that is on offer, as there are way more hours in there if you play the other modes.

18. Hunam

I didn’t buy it! :)

I haven’t even caved into Left 4 Dead 2 either.

/flies hardcore PC flag

19. MushroomStamp

You hurt noone but yourself for being “hardcore” and not buying it.

I bought.. and L4D2.. and NO REGRETS… Awesome game.. and I’m a “hardcore” gamer…

excuses are just Hardcore Rah-Tard

20. Artheval_Pe

The money went into artistic work : concept arts, textures, models, level moddeling, effects, etc…

Modern Warfare 2 is one of the most art-heavy game I’ve ever seen. There’s a ton of work in there, that goes way beyond what we can see in Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead 2, even Bioshock. Every place in Single player is specific and use specific assets.

21. Phoenixblight

I am sorry I find Bioshock to be more artistic than areas inspired by real places. But as they say Beauty in the eye of the beholder..

22. cachucha

sp is terrible no way to defend it, multiplayer is good but iwnet kills it.

23. reask

cachucha said:

sp is terrible no way to defend it,

I have to disagree with you on that.
    I mean OK it has its flaws and indeed I actually said so on the forum but to say it is terrible is just wrong.

Did you play it on easy?