House: PS3 Euro vid store to grow by “50 movies per week”

Thursday, 19th November 2009 08:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bruno

SCEE boss Andrew House has told GI that the European PS3 Video Delivery Service (VDS) will grow by around 50 films per week.

VDS launches today.

“We’re starting out with a really strong offering – there’s plenty there to choose from, a tremendous number of current hits – and then I think we’ll grow it somewhere in the region I hope of about an additional 50 movies per week,” said the exec.

“So that’ll encourage return traffic, people coming back, something new for them there to check out – we’re feeling fairly comfortable about the content line-up we’ve got, and that’s led us again to this being the right time to launch.”

More through there. There’s a list of “launch window” films here. Around 2,000 movies will be available on the store as of today.

1. Syrok

For a second I thought I landed on the wrong website. :D

2. Eregol

2000 movies?
    Not a bad figure.
    What about tv shows?

3. Patrick Garratt

I wish they’d hurry up and bloody launch it. It’s still not there.

*grumble*

4. Eregol

PS Store updates are normally afternoon time aren’t they?

Looks like it’ll be a few hours yet Pat.

Wish they’d put up a full day 1 listing though. I want to check for this ‘localised content’ that took them over a year to source.

5. Doomsayer

Im still not convinced that this will work. I mean even downloading a 15 MB update takes ages on the ps3. So do you guys think this will work or do we need to download movies 3 days in advance?

Cheers

6. Eregol

@ Doomsayer
    That makes me believe it’s your connection mate.
    I’ve got a 4mb/s Bt connection at home, done wirelessly and my 15mb updates take less than 5 mins.
    I mean my God of War 3 demo was done in less than an hour and a half. And that was 1.6gb.

7. Detale

What are you going to watch first then Pat?

8. Len

I’m with you Pat, at bloody last! I’ll still only believe it when I see it.

I assume they will be having HD and SD offerings for most stuff…?

Reads the pr and sees that they will…

9. Eregol

@Len
    I’ve been bitching and whining on the EU PS Blog about this since it was unveiled for the US store at E3 last year.

Took them bloody long enough.
    Why didn’t they just launch it with the same content as the US store?
    I bet they get HD offerings to buy. We’ll only be able to rent HD to begin with.

EDIT: Just found this

10. Doomsayer

@Eregon – i have a 25Mbit Connection and downloads on my 360 are blazing fast. All over the forums people complain about download speed and come on 15 MB in less then 5 minutes ? That should take about 5 seconds these days. But we will see. I will give it a try tonight.

Cheers

11. OlderGamer

@Doom

100% agree. I can stream netflix in HD on my xb360. I have the same service for my PS3 it just doesn’t have the speed. I can’t do Netflix in HD on the PS3 and often times it has to pause and rebuffer. I have a solid 15m connect speed. And on the same connection my xb360 is fast and smooth. Pluging in a corded connection improved the PS3 somewhat, but it still can’t keep up. My kids call it the SlowStation3. Online play on the PS3 isn’t terrible. Smooth enough to play, disconects once in awhile. Reminds me of playing on LIVE last gen. lol I must sound like a flaming fanboy. But honestly the PS3/PSN speed has always been a thorn in my side. I never understood the reason for it. Making it worse, of course, is the fact that I am dropping LIVE once gold runs out and switching to PS3. Have mercy on my soul!

12. Doomsayer

@OG – Thanks for the feedback, im glad its not just me that experiences this :)

Cheers