Digital Foundry does Assassin’s Creed II

Thursday, 19th November 2009 18:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

digitalfoundryasscreed2

Looks like Assassin’s Creed II has been given the Digital Foundry treatment with the latest Face-Off between the 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

Here’s the final analysis:

“It’s fair to say that while Assassin’s Creed II has a number of important advantages on Xbox 360, the crucial thing is that the improvements to the PS3 engine are such that the performance deficit isn’t going to get in the way of having a great time.

“It’s an essential game on both platforms, but if you’ve got both consoles, the 360 version is clearly the more solid performer.”

You can read the full thing through here, and check out the video here.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

Looks the same to me, only thing Xbox version is much darker bit more vivid.. to fix it on PS3 go to video options and turn on the options.. thats it. it will fix the issue if you have full HD TV.

2. Dannybuoy

Oh look the old ‘Default PS3 contrast setting’ thing again. Anyway. Those character faces and models look gash on both platforms!

3. Alakratt

“When other sites give the edge to the PS3, Digital Foundry comes to the rescue!!!!”

4. SilentLoner

Seriously does that site ever give anything to the ps3? I have my copy and it looks superb distance wise character models need work (its the ps3 version)

5. Goliath

Okay, really, to accuse Digital Foundry of bias is pure fanboyism. Regardless of the outcome of their Face Offs they take the most technical approach to their comparisions, it’s not someone looking at screens saying, this one looks darker, this one tears more or this one drops more frames.

6. Mad-elph

I really disagree with it. I watched their video and it showed that the 360 has a few more problems than the ps3. the shading is more on the 360, such that there are darker darks and this looks good sometimes, but not always especially on character models. It looked great on the rood tiles 75% into the vid, but aside from that it wasn’t anything that made it look better. I saw a few more sync issues on the 360 side. I am a ps3 user, but when I look at it one looks better than the other. the ps3 one has less vivid colours, true. but I don’t expect the colours of a characters shirt to shine when its a cotton.

7. Psychotext

What’s a sync issue? You mean vsync? Because the PS3 version clearly tears more (watch the frame rate analysis vid).

As for the other stuff, I’m not sure why people get hung up on contrast / colours etc when they’re easily adjusted on a TV or using in game settings.

8. reask

Both look fine to me.
    360 a little darker whereas the PS3 a little blurry at times but overall I would say a draw.

9. No_PUDding

10. Gekidami

I dont get the washed out thing on PS3 none of my games ever have that. Actually i’ve got my 360 set to 1080i because it suffered from washed out colours when set to 1080p.

No idea why.

11. Psychotext

“It matters when it’s crushing detail, and half of those things are ridiculously dark.”

But again… it’s nothing that a set calibrated properly to the input would have. My PS3 isn’t washed out, and my 360 isn’t overly dark, because they’re both set up properly.

12. Cort

@Gek, because it’s bullshit. Everything that connects to your TV and projects a picture has a slightly different image from the next thing. What DF means is that the PS3 displays a slightly brighter image than the 360 – which they have arbitrarily decided should be considered the gold standard. One could just as easily say the 360 displays too dark an image.

Then there’s the “out of the box with no tuning/configuration” crap too.

13. gorman

Wow… being fanboyish about a Digital Foundry analysis has got to be an all time lowest for PS3 aficionados.

14. Cort

How is it being fanboyish? The comments above have been backed up by substantive points. All you’ve offered (sic) is an ad hominem whine.

15. Gekidami

Anyone else got the same problem as me where the 360′s colours are more washed in 1080p? I have it connected via HDMI.

16. Psychotext

Does your TV store different settings for different resolutions? That said, what it probably is is that you’ve got the reference levels / colour space set incorrectly in your dashboard.

Just go into the display settings and modify accordingly (when it’s connected via HDMI).

17. MushroomStamp

This is true for 99.99 of multi-platform games… For whatever of the many debateable reasons, the 360 version is always better.

If you are getting washed colors on the 360 in 1080p make sure you change the Color setting on the console. Where you set it to 1080p there is another choice next to it that controls the coloring. How can you people even miss that?

18. The Hindle

To be honest i cant see any real differences between the two im getting it for the Ps3 anyway

19. Gekidami

I havnt ‘missed it’ is just dosnt seem to have any effect.

And darker = better? O RLY?

20. Psychotext

That’s not right Gekidami, it should have a pretty significant effect. Getting that wrong (or right) makes a big difference.

21. CMcAfee

Why do we really care? Why do we have this exact same argument for a couple days after every major multiplat release? The game is the same on both consoles, right? There are not major technical issues with one version or the other? Then buy it for your primary gaming system. Have fun.

Especially since neither console can produce graphics on par with a top end PC; we are arguing over which of the consoles looks better than the other, not which platform looks the best. Pointless ammo for the fanboy wars.

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Awesome game no matter which system you play it on i’m sure.

Isn’t this kind of like comparing how a theatrical movie might look different using side by side comparisons of different movie theatres screens, projectors, variables, etc…? When viewed side by side, you see differences, but viewed individually, they look just as good as intended.

I think it’s the “fanboys” that have to step up and say “my systems superior to yours”. Maybe they have small peckers?

23. Dannybuoy

I have my 369 set to fudge mode. All teztures look like silk dragged across a weasles back

24. Jadeskye

my playstation wii60 is much better then yours.

25. gorman

@Cort

Wasn’t directly referring to you but, if you insist, your claim that DF “decided” that 360 is the golden standard for picture brightness and contrast is refuted by their analysis of Modern Warfare 2, where they state that their “golden standard” requires adjustments on both 360 and PS3.

26. Cort

@gorman, it’s an arbitrary and semantic opinion not a fact: When you view a PS3 game in isolation it is not “washed out”. But when viewed alongside a 360 game yes, it looks a little brighter and with higher contrast than the XBox. But to then call the PS3 “washed out” in the context of a side-by-side comparison at least nine out of ten times means they are regarding the MS console as the reference system and allowing their own personal preferences affect the anaysis*. And if they want to do that it should be clearly stated at the start of each article.

This is no complaint about the 360 or a “mine is better than yours issue” as you inferred. It’s a complaint about DF’s arbitrary methods and frequent refusal (oft stated) to use the facilities to change the PS3 settings to adjust the picture to suit their personal taste and instead test it “as is”, i.e. out of the box. If that is the rule why have they always tested the 360 with an HDMI cable? My brother’s 360 didn’t come with one in the box.

* I, like many, PREFER a slightly brighter and higher contrast picture! My flatscreen is set up like that for all my TV and video equipment.