PlayStation Network is three years old, folks

Wednesday, 18th November 2009 19:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

psnlogo2

SCEA has announced today that the PlayStation Network is three years old this week.

Wow. Time flies when you’re having fun.

“We are extremely proud that in just three years into its lifecycle, PlayStation 3 and the unmatched digital offerings of PlayStation Network have helped to redefine the connected home entertainment experience,” said SCEA’s Patrick Seybold. “From a tremendous lineup of blockbuster titles, to Blu-ray movies and games, to access to a library of thousands of movies, TV shows and games on the PlayStation Store, no other system on the market today delivers a more complete entertainment experience or a better value than PS3.

“With the continuing addition of new features such as Netflix and Facebook integration, highly anticipated break-out games like MAG and God of War III on the horizon, and the on-going evolution of connected experiences through PlayStation Network, we’ve only just begun scratch the surface.”

Sony said that because of the “strong consumer demand for rich, digital and connected entertainment experiences”, popularity for the service has grown as “what began as an online commerce option for games and content has evolved into an innovative entertainment network in just three short years”.

Currently, there are 17,400 TV episodes and movies for rent and purchase; 450 games for PS3 and PSP, 4,000 pieces of add-on game content and the new “minis” and the “digital comics,” section which is to be available later this year.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

PSN rocks! Free is always a winner in my book. Not to mention features in PS4 and PSN will be even better and still free!

2. theevilaires

LOL I hope PSN is still free with PS4 Nox. At least for online gaming I hope. DLC,and movie store crap they can charge as much as they want because I’m not buying it anyway.

3. Razor

“Time flies when you’re having fun.”

It certainly does… :P

4. theevilaires

Oh yea I forgot PS3 turned 3 on Monday right?

And they said you wouldn’t make it this far LOL

5. Retroid

PSN has certainly improved a lot in that time. Even from the point I bought my PS3 there’ve been a lot of additions, I’m impressed :)

6. NoxNoctisUmbra

“LOL I hope PSN is still free with PS4 Nox.”

Heay theeevilaires, I hope so as well, but I think it will be Free. PC gaming was always free as far as I can remember. So why should PS3 charge money? As long I can play online, no lag, and with a friend or two. I will be happy, what else is there to PAY to PLAY?

7. COG287PR

TREY 4 LI4E!

8. Anders

“I hope so as well, but I think it will be Free. PC gaming was always free as far as I can remember. So why should PS3 charge money?”

Because it’s a service that cost them money to uphold, without (directly) giving them anything back. Except for the revenues from the downloadable content, of course.

9. theevilaires

TREY 4 LI4E? ….I’ve heard that somewhere before.

10. freedoms_stain

Trey, a corruption of three, as in PS3.

11. Syrok

PS3 for Liae?

12. Cort

Syrok is playing LBP and posting on VG247 simultaneously. Who says men can’t multitask?

13. Syrok