PS3 firmware 3.10 to introduce Facebook functionality, other tweaks

Tuesday, 17th November 2009 05:43 GMT By Nathan Grayson

facebook

Not to be outdone by the Xbox 360′s upcoming social media frenzy, Sony’s been doing a little super-poking around of its own. The result: PS3-powered Facebook updates.

If you so choose, the PS3 will soon be able to update your Facebook status each time you earn a Trophy or make a purchase on the PlayStation Store. It only does everything, so you don’t have to do anything. Ever.

The 3.10 update will also include a revamped XMB photo category, and an upgraded PSN friends list.

No concrete release date yet, but Sony’s saying “soon” for this one. There’s a video of the update in action after the break, courtesy of the US PlayStation Blog.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

Great, I love how Sony keeps updating the PS3 .. always something new to check out and explore! and i also love how they keep using the same XMB because it still works the best! and so easy to use

2. Gekidami

Hum, no cross-game chat then? I took it with a hand full of salt when it came from this sites source but from a ND dev sounded pretty real…

3. mojo

can i haz xgc plox?!

4. sickpuppysoftware

Now I can let friends know exactly how sad my little gaming life really is. That’ll learn ‘em for the constant stream of those stupid farm requests every 2 minutes.

5. Robo_1

Hey Gekidami, I’ve got a feeling that this update wasn’t on the cards until the last minute. When 3.00 came out, Sony said it would be the last update this year, which I’m guessing meant that features like cross game chat, still needed a bit more time in the oven.

My guess is that the Facebook deal fell into place a little quicker than planned, and in addition to the fall out they got over the friends list, they’re going to push out this update to both counter MS’s recent update, and tidy up the original 3.0 release.

Looks good from the video I must say. I wonder if they’ll be doing anything with Twitter in the long run.

6. Redh3lix

All good except the friends list. There were some excellent concept designs for the friends list from the community and all they decide to provide is the ability to change the colour of your profile box. What “feedback from the community” were you reading Sony??