Splinter Cell Conviction to have in-game ads

Friday, 13th November 2009 10:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

splintercellconviction6

Ubi’s confirmed that Splinter Cell Conviction is to have in-game ads, and has provided advertisers with “heat maps” to show where best to place their creatives.

The hot spots show where players are most likely to go, natch.

The news came from a Microsoft Advertising’s Gaming Upfront presentation in New York last night.

More on Joystiq.

1. OrbitMonkey

Your next objective: Meet the informant at Burger King…. Have a cool refreshing coke and collect intel.

2. Blerk

Maybe the ads will be overlaid on the scenery like the mission prompts?

You could smash a guy’s head against the wall and an advert for cream cleaner could pop up. “Nasty blood stain? Cillit Bang!”

3. ultrabrilliant

I expect there’ll be a lot of shimmying across Coke billboards.

4. Detale

Nice one Blerk, I’ve just spat coffee everywhere :)

5. G1GAHURTZ

Ubisoft have been doing this in their games for years.

6. Phoenixblight

Yeah not surprised from it. We cannot seem to escape Commericials even in our games…

7. Bulk Slash

This is nothing new for the SC franchise, I remember there were close-ups on packets of Airwaves chewing gum in every cut-scene of one of the games (I think it was Chaos Theory but they all blur together these days…)

If they’re putting adverts where the player is most likely to go, it’s a pity the game isn’t about hiding in the shadows any more…

8. satsugai

Just want to say something about advertising on tv here… I don’t watch tv except for the odd show I like but I was sitting watching whatever was on this morning and there were adverts that rolled on for about 5-6 minutes. Has it always been this way? I can’t remember the last time I saw that many adverts played back to back.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Whenever ads come on, I either change channel or just turn the sound off.

I hate them.

But yeah, they are usually 5-6 minutes long, apart from the ones between Channel 4 news, which are about a minute long sometimes.

10. Phoenixblight

Thats why God created DVR you can just record your shows and watch them without the damn Commericials.

11. Detale

Yep, I’m the same. I pretty much Sky+ anything I’m interested in and then I can fastforward the ads.

12. freedoms_stain

That’s why man invented torrents and streaming ;) (God makes you do it the hard way).

Ad breaks are up to 5-6 minutes are they? Used to be 3.

13. No_PUDding

Didn’t make Chaos Theory bad, I just chose not to buy Airwaves.

14. NoxNoctisUmbra

Ahh Micro$oft, yet another BS attempts to make money.

15. Blerk

That’ll be Ubi$oft, not Micro$oft.

16. Psychotext

It’s also B$ not BS.

17. No_PUDding

@Blerk: ‘The news came from a Microsoft Advertising’s Gaming Upfront presentation’

Not that it justifies the whining or genuinelt has anythign to do with Microsoft. Splinter Cell has ALWAYS had ingame advertising. And it has NEVER damaged the expeirence.

18. rainer

All the Splinter Cell games have had ads in the them bar maybe the first, they were static ads for a company or movies like in one scene the PC’s have an AMD screen saver on them.