Diablo III coming in “next few years”

Friday, 13th November 2009 13:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

diabloIIIlogo

Acti Blizz CFO Tom Tippl has shown a slide in New York that appears to push Diablo III passed a 2010 release, Kotaku reports.

While StarCraft II, the Battle.Net revamp and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm were all shown to be hitting next year, Diablo III, StarCraft II expansion packs and Blizzard’s next MMO will release in the “next few years”.

Tippl was speaking at the BMO Capital Markets Conference last night.

1. Monk

8 or 9 Years of development, and now it well not coming
    Next Year !!

Just wow at blizzard, Just wow.

2. Phoenixblight

Even with all their money, they can’t seem to make a game within three years. I hope thier cash cow (WoW) drys up like the sahara desert and then they become SOL. I know it is wishful thinking but Blizzard are slower than a fat guy running 10 miles…

By the time the game releases the Graphics will be so dated it will be like playing on the old SNES games…

3. Gekidami

The only PC ‘exclusive’ i’m interested in, and its miles away. :(

4. mescalineeyes

This game needs all the time it can get. I played it at GamesCom. Borderline catastrophe imo.

5. Psychotext

Damnit. I loved the Diablo games. :(

What’s so bad about what you got to see mescaline?

6. freedoms_stain

Perhaps they’re implementing delightful Activision policies like bringing it to consoles, or having masses of dlc at launch or changing the control scheme so you have to use tiny plastic fisherprice peripherals.

7. Gheritt White

I’m not especially surprised by this. I thought Diablo 3 was *always* gonna be a 2011 release?

8. Eregol

@Monk & Phoenix
    Blizzard have always had a philosophy of ‘It’s done when it’s done.’
    They never release anything if they deem it to not be finished. It’s just the way they work.
    And considering they’ve barely ever made a bad game it seems to be a good philosophy.
    Miyamoto once said “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever”
    Blizzard obviously believe this.

9. Phoenixblight

I understand that Eregol but how muuch does Blizzard make with WoW and they even have their own teams for each game SC2 and Diablo 3. They are not the same team, from what a friend who works at Blizzard said (No one big, QA tester) Their main thing is worrying about WoW over anything else evidence right here. 8 years in development, by that time we would have gotten new technology 10 cpu, 5 GPu running at once while DIablo 3 will look like utter crap because it was in developement so long. THis is shooting themselves in the foot.

I understand their “soon” but those times are different now they have number 1 publisher and endless amount of cash. They have no excuse now.

10. Eregol

@Phoenix
    They shouldn’t be villified just because people want to pay them money for WoW. It is a WoW player’s choice to pay them money, and to be honest they provide it with a great deal of content.
    They’re a much bigger company now than they used to be, but they’ve got a triple whammy with Starcraft on the go, WoW requires a huge amount of staff to keep the community running, produce new content (for patch expansions as well as the upcomming Cataclysm) and now Diablo 3.
    Somebody who used to work for Relic who worked on the Warhammer Dawn of War games is helming Diablo 3, and if you read Gamestm he explains how they’e working hard to make sure it lives up to people’s expectations.

I myself am fed up of half hearted efforts reaching game shelves only to be heavily patched within days (if not hours). I want a game to be finished before it is launched, and that is what Blizzard do.
    It doesn’t matter how large their dev teams are, it doesn’t matter how much money they have. They want to make sure their fans get the best games. Even if it requires waiting.
    Good things come to those who wait.

Look at it this way, if they allowed Activision’s influence to affect their work ethic, the game would launch unfinished and glitchy, at which point everyone would be saying how it should have had more dev time.

At least there’s every possibility you’ll get a cow level.

11. Eregol

Also
    Development started in 2005. That’s 4 years not 8.

12. OlderGamer

Go play Tourchlight. It was made by a couple od the Diablo 1 and 2 guys. Its awesome. I want Diablo 3 also. But it isn’t happening anytime soon. So I have enjoyed Titan Quest, Sacred 2, and now, better then those is Tourchlight. It isn’t the same, but it is good, darn good. Only downer is Touchlight is SP only.

13. Phoenixblight

Eregol did you not read the article? They said past 2010 They are still dicking around. I didn’t say WoW is a horrible game, I said they have the funds to support whatever games they want to make with quality. It doesn’t take more than 5 years to make a game especially with a publisher if they were independent sure I would completely understand but it is different times.

Again if they work on too long they will hurt themselves with the quality of the game, the engine for one will be dated especially with technolgy now.

14. Hunam

I hope they use the next year or so to spruce up the graphics for D3 then, it looks like a PS2 game at the moment.

15. Eregol

I never said that you said WoW is a horrible game Phoenix. But you were making a point of how much cash WoW brings in to the company.
    If there’s one thing Britain’s Labour government has proved is that throwing money at something doesn’t necessarily improve it.
    If Blizzard are confident that more development time is needed to make Diablo 3 the game the fans want I am inclined to believe them.
    The way everyone is talking it’s like they think Blizzard committed to a release date already. Blizz do not make release date promises until they are sure that they will definately finish the game.
    To say that the game is delayed is wrong. It’s just having more development time.
    To be honest, I think the graphics already look great, and in this generation there isn’t much more improvement that can happen in an aesthetic sense. So I do not see the look of the game becomming dated any time soon.
    especially seeing as we’re apparently half way through a 10 year console life-cycle.

Disclaimer:
    Yes I know Diablo 3 isn’t being made for consoles. I was making a point that console graphics wont be considered dated in another 5 years time. So by comparison Diablo 3′s graphics will not be declared dated by an ‘extra’ year of development time.

16. Phoenixblight

I played the Demo at Blizzcon it did infact look like an upgraded version of D2 not that much for eye candy. I am not sure they are going that route same goes for SC 2 looks like WC3 with polished graphics.

17. Eregol

Some good reading there.

18. mightyhokie

I guess as long as it is great that is all that matters.
    Sadly, I just bought a new computer for work but got it ‘suped up’ so i could play it….by the time it comes out my pc will be a dinosaur! thanks Blizzard!

19. cachucha

Torchlight ftw

20. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

“Even with all their money, they can’t seem to make a game within three years.”

And the result of them taking their time is that they end up making games that become the benchmark for their respective genres.

Starcraft is still considered one of the best (and most balanced) strategy games of all time. Diablo 2 is still insanely addictive, and people still play Warcraft 3 on a regular basis.

If a long production time makes for a game that truly is a game (something Blizzard do very well), with balance and skill and expert design, I’m more than willing to wait as long as it takes for it to be released.

Phoenix: You’re a blind fanboy. The time Diablo is taking to develop has absolutely nothing to do with WoW. Blizzard themselves has openly admitted that they prefer to work with small, tight knit groups when developing.

The number of people who work on developing additional content and updates for World of Warcraft between expansion is relatively small, something they pointed out themselves as this years BlizzCon. So WoW is not slowing down Diablo 3 in the slightest.

They don’t *want* to make the game fast. And they don’t *care* if the graphics look dated… because Blizzard *likes* to make games that can run on a sub-standard PC, instead of something you need to shell out a small fortune for. Just look at WoW if you want proof of that.

21. Phoenixblight

ANd in result They milk us with Starcraft 2 with making the entire game 3 Parts and with their speed will take them 20 years to release the entire sequel.

“In fact, most of the development staff is focused on Starcraft 2 right now. Once that game is finished up, they said they will move more people over to Diablo.”

They stated at Blizzcon that its entirely different team that handles Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. Its not the same developemental team that handles WoW. Not sure where you got your info especially since WoW has another expansion coming out next year.

Fanboy?

How exactly am I fanboy? I am bashing the company for their speed if I was a blind fanboy I would have said something to effect of I would sacrifice my child for the game to be released or I’ll even buy the plastic peripherial that is coming with it.