Digital Foundry does Modern Warfare 2

Thursday, 12th November 2009 15:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

modernwarfare216

Digital Foundry has given Modern Warfare 2 the Face-Off treatment and says that while there are numerous comparison shots between both console versions, its has been noted that the “color balance is quite patently wrong”.

According to the post:

“Basic settings don’t cut it with Modern Warfare 2. You really need to spend some time setting up the game to play nicely with your screen… or indeed your capture kit. Usual form within any Digital Foundry Face-Off is simply to run the game at default settings and let the chips fall as they may – the assumption being that the default is equivalent to the color settings within the console’s framebuffer, or at the very least what the developer calibrates the output to. However, keeping the default settings is really not a particularly good idea within Modern Warfare 2 and we’re also not sure how effective Infinity Ward’s calibration method is for the end user is either.

“Bottom line: if you’re an Xbox 360 owner, you should be making the image brighter, and if you’re playing on PS3, it’s really a massively good idea to lower the brightness level significantly, otherwise the lighting – one of the really impressive things in this game – simply won’t look as good as it should. Many people online are discussing the PS3′s washed-out image, or talking about a “gray filter”. In truth, there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s simply a case of tweaking your settings.”

There’s tons more, and you’ll want to read it and see the differences for yourself, so we’ll shut up now and leave you to it.

1. G1GAHURTZ

You have to calibrate the brightness before you can even play the game.

2. Blerk

I can’t quite believe that people don’t tweak the settings on EVERY game before they start to play. Isn’t that, like, the first thing you do? Or am I weird? Don’t answer that.

3. Redh3lix

Nope, I dont calibrate. And yes, Blerk.

:D

4. Blerk

How odd. Every telly is different. Just about every game gives options for tweaking the image so that it looks its best. If you’ve spent a bundle of cash on a hi-def panel, isn’t it worth ten seconds of your time to tweak the in-game brightness slider so that everything doesn’t look too dark/light?

5. freedoms_stain

First thing I do with a new game is fanny about in the Options menu, mostly to see what’s there, if there are image adjustment properties I’ll give em a tweak. I want the best experience for me, and it’s very true that ‘default’ isn’t always the best.

6. nfdean

Lol i dont think iv ever played a game where its ever dark, Hate it so i just wack brightness really high, Cant stand playing a game and not seeing everything around me, when its a bright level i try and keep it so it aint burning my eyes but modern warfare 2 damn its nearly hitting the top of the bar for brightness.. just cant stand looking though my sight and thinking sh*t is that a pole or a person! wid brightness up dammmm i can see everything!

7. OlderGamer

I do the samething nfdean. I would rather see everything then to worry about too washed out or enhancing lighting effects.

8. G1GAHURTZ

You’re all too fussy.

I just put the game in and play!

9. Blerk

What do you guys do when you go out at night? :-D

10. Filofax

@Blerk
    I always turn the street lighting up to 100.

11. G1GAHURTZ

PT wears his NVG’s.

12. Psychotext

There has been no proof of that, no-one’s ever seen me… I mean… ahh bollocks.

13. MushroomStamp

How they working out for your dogging escapades? :)

14. Psychotext

I will not comment on these slanderous accusations!