Denny – PS3 motion control is a “platform,” a “worldwide venture”

Thursday, 12th November 2009 08:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3motion

PS3′s motion control wands are being see as a “platform” by Sony, PS3 studio boss Michael Denny’s told GI.

“The motion control system we’re putting in place going forward is we’re treating as more of a platform,” he said.

“You’re right that here in Europe we have a lot of experience helping develop the peripherals for our social games but we see the motion control solution and experience as being broader than that.”

The exec continued that is won’t just be social games that benefit from the peripherals, which launch next spring.

“We do believe it can come into a core experience as well,” Denny added. “The development of motion control software and games is a worldwide venture for us.”

There’s an interview through there.

1. Blerk

I give it six months.

2. Robo_1

I’m just hoping they unveil some sort of nun chuck add on. Holding the DS3 with one hand is a far from ideal solution, even if it does bring costs down.

3. DrDamn

I’d like there to be an analog stick on the controller – even if it’s a nubbin PSP like one. That way another wand thing would be fine in the left hand.

4. Quiiick

… better than this Natal stuff but still lame. Yawn.

5. Redh3lix

Someone posted these concepts on the official PS forums, not official product design I’m presuming although quite cool imo:

Pretty smart.

6. Monk

^
    Wii motion like structure !

7. zoopdeloop

Stop comparing this with Wii mote…it’s ridiculous.
    AFYI Sony had this concept in mind way before Nintendo.Nintendo just cought it up first

8. Syrok

How do you know? :)

9. Monk

” Stop comparing this with Wii mote…it’s ridiculous.”

I sorry, but this`s a [ Fact ].
    the design of motion control the same.
    maybe well be A big difference when the motion control
    Used for a games Like MGS Or Uncharted 2 .

10. Dannybuoy

Motion control, or at least motion pointing in Uncharted 2 makes my nipples go hard. That will be a-maze-ing! Bring it

11. OlderGamer

You all understand the Wii right? I have tried and tried to get into that system. The idea sounds great on paper, but in game … it just doesn’t work the way it should. The problem with the Wii isn’t that it isn’t in HD. The trouble is that motionplus or not it just doesn’t work right. It is unacrurate, sloppy, often laggy, and the best games mimic control. By that I mean there is such a range of “getting it close” that when you get the pointer close to the intended target it does its thing. Wii Sports is a great example. Tennis, Bowling, etc. I have seen 4 yr olds bowl a 200 game. For the rest of us thinking it is more complicated then that are fooling ourself with fancey spins and hooks. I have seen kids walk up to it, move their arms semi forward and get strikes. You can play 99% of the motion games sitting down flicking your wrist. It is the very defenition of a gimmick.
    The idea that the whole thing will now suddenly be “cool” because it has a PS logo? Please. This is a Sony(and MS w/natal) attempt to reel in a wider demo graphic. It make sense in Sonys case. Because unlike the millions of grandparents with wiis(who don’t buy/play games) the PS3 can offer them blurays to buy.
    I just would expect a revolutionary experience in terms of core gameplay.

12. freedoms_stain

OlderGamer, motion control doesn’t have to mean emulating actions, it can simply take the role of a button, which many people find more intuitive than buttons.

13. DrDamn

@Redhelix
    Those are actually pretty interesting thanks for the links.

@OlderGamer
    The Wiimotes suffer in two areas which stop the system working well for more traditional games. First off inaccuracy – pointing and not knowing where it is in relation to the screen is a pain in the butt. WMP has helped with better one-to-one mapping but it’s still not great. Secondly lack of usable buttons means you end up trying to use gestures for simple actions and that means the motion can’t be used for something more appropriate. The PS3 controller needs to address these two points. Accuracy I think it has demonstrated is very good, the second point on usable buttons I’m not sure on until we see the final design – it would have to go some to be worse than a wii-mote though.

14. DarkElfa

“It’s ball-sack-on-a-stick, the fun new toy from Sony”!!

15. freedoms_stain

Totally agree with DrDamn on the lack of usable buttons on the wiimote.

There really needs to be some sort of ‘old skool gamer’ edition that has the classic diamond arrangement of 4 buttons for the right thumb, or a central A button surrounded by 4 buttons on the compass points.

16. OlderGamer

I think the biggest problem here is that they are trying to reinvent the wheel. In truth the wheel is perfectly round and works great.

I agree with the appeal to broder audiences. I just don’t think that so called broder main stream audiences buy many games. And I wonder if this is less about about expanding apeal and more about “see, we can do that too”.

And for what it is worth I really enjoy a couple of Wii games. I like the bowling, Tennis, Geo Wars, and believe it or not I like Alien Syndrome. I know there are other decent ones out there but they just don’t motivate me to buy ‘em. I also like the WiiWare and VC. I think Swords and Soilders might the most over looked quality game this year(except Fat Princess that is).