Acti donates $1 million to help US vets

Tuesday, 10th November 2009 12:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

modernwarfare217

The celebrate the release of Modern Warfare 2, Activision’s to donate $1 million to set up Call of Duty Endowment (CODE), a non-profit organisation designed to help American military vets get jobs and readjust to civilian life.

Jobless rates among ex-service staff are higher than the average, according to this Washington Post piece.

There’s more through there.

1. Psychotext

/applauds

2. XDamage

Good show.

3. Broncanus

Hurrah!

4. Scyrenn

Yes, military veterinarians deserve all the help they can get…

5. satsugai

6. Psychotext

I was waiting for the first one… and there it is.

7. blackdreamhunk

“Pretty nice of them but I’m sure they didn’t do it out the kindness of their hearts, so they get a great big FAIL stamp from me.”

I would agree

what I see is a dirty campany

8. satsugai

@Psychotext This has nothing to do with MW2 btw, I would’ve said the same thing no matter what company did this. The whole stunt was one big advertisement that’s all.

9. Cort

PR emergency! PR emergency! Quick, help war vets!

(BUT, as long as those vets get more help, who cares why it happened.)

10. Psychotext

Of course it is satsugai… but they could have just as easily done nothing, as most companies do.

11. Tonka

Reaping profit from terrorist sims with one hand and playing benefactor of heroes with another.

Excuse me for not cartwheeling of joy for this cynical publicity stunt

12. Gekidami

Good news for US military vets. Never again will a US army owned animal go sick.

13. JonFE

Publicity stunt or not, that’s one million dollars veterans would not benefit from otherwise…

14. blackdreamhunk

ok hot shot I want to see them put their foot where mouth is.

how about they give half of the income MW2 is going to make and that includes dlc to vet’s.

15. pleasant_cabbage

“Money where their mouth is” BDH
    Foot in mouth is something entirely different…

16. blackdreamhunk

ahahahahahahahahaha

more hot air I guess

17. Redh3lix

Should donate to heroin addicts aswell now…

18. SplatteredHouse

Well, it’s good for the support of veterans. They deserve all the help they can, and more besides for what they do.

19. freedoms_stain

@4, I’m ashamed to admit when I read “military vets” in the RSS feed I thought of veterinarians too…

Well, this is a better idea than John McCains campaign promise to let vets become teachers without going through the proper testing first.

20. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

Companies that give money to charities are eligible for tax breaks.

This is a penny in their pond that will ultimately reap them more rewards and more money simply from being “charitable.”

But hey, can’t look a gift horse in the mouth, I guess.

21. freedoms_stain

They should give all the vets jobs in motion capture studios so that devs can see how real live people run – i.e. without ramrods up their backs and sticks in their arses.

22. mightyhokie

Damn, even when you do the right thing you have people slamming them for it.
    How about this…Acti did a great thing and it was nice and they should be noted for it and thanked for it. I’m sure the tax breaks don’t hurt, but they don’t give away $10M to get a $500k tax break. This was done for many reasons, and I’m sure number one is because they can.

Freedoms_stain…awesome line, man! Particularly funny to me because I’m playing (the hell out of) Dragon Age right now and my Gray Warden looks more like he is sliding around on his socks than running. Man, I tell ya, I LOVE this game, I love it. However, the graphics are really, really bad compared to what I’m used to thanks to Mass Effect. Its not ugly, but compared to ME…not even close.
    But I digress.

Great job, Acti.

23. Uncontested

@redh3lix fuck you, you little piece of shit comparing veterans to fucking junkies.

But as for the article:

1 mil to start up a veterans assistance group is nothing and wont do squat.. Give the freakin money to an established group that actively lobbys for us veterans and is actually making big steps in congress like the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) [omg yes, I'm a former US Marine]

24. Scyrenn