Modern Warfare 2: Watson bites Vaz over Mail comments

Monday, 9th November 2009 17:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

modernwarfare29

Labour MP Tom Watson has told the BBC that remarks made by anti-game stalwart Keith Vaz about Modern Warfare 2 todkay ared a bridge too far.

“Everything that comes out of Parliament in relation to video games is relentlessly negative,” he said.

“There are thousands of people employed in this industry, there are 26 million people playing games. We should have a much more balanced view of the industry, indeed we should be supporting them through difficult times.”

Vaz went on a predictable warpath in the Mail today, saying MW2′s violence left him “absolutely shocked”.

Watson’s set up a Facebook group called Gamer’s Voice, designed to bring together people sick of game-bashers in the UK. Do the honourable thing.

Thanks, GamePolitics.

1. Gekidami

Wonder if they’ll quote Pychotext in Parliament as an example of evils MW2 can cause. :p

2. DUFFKING

“Modern Warfare 2 todkay ared a bridge too far”

… the fuck?

3. Psychotext

They don’t need to quote me in parliament Gekidami, it’s politicians that showed me the way when it comes to pure sexual deviancy. :D

4. The Hindle

So lets get this straight, British soldiers are dying in Afghanistan due to lack of equipment and this dick of a polictian is on about games. Britain is a very fucked up place at the moment people and im English myself

5. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

The children…

Someone… PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

*weeps*

6. Roybott

@The Hindle, you do realise that there are hundreds of politicians in parliament right? and that if they ALL spent ALL day talking about nothing but Afghanistan then nothing else would ever get done! There are politicians and groups dedicated to that discussion, but other things need to also be discussed. So this politician is not a ‘dick’ for bringing other topics to the discussion table.

EDIT: After watching the video clip on the BBC site I now realise which politician you are referring to, and I do agree he is a dick, but my point still stands. (Originally I thought you were talking about MP Tom Watson not the other guy)

7. Alexander Norris

@4. Good gods – soldiers? Dying?! In a war?!?!?!

Heavens! Who could have foreseen such terrible happenings?

8. blackdreamhunk

I hope th game get band :)

9. Jadeskye

psychotext, your comment there made me spit out my coffee with laughter, thank you for starting my day much earlier then i’m used to.