GameStop breaks Modern Warfare 2 street date

Monday, 9th November 2009 07:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

modernwarfare212

GameStop US has confirmed to Kotaku that some of it’s stores in the US has knowingly broken the release date of Modern Warfare 2. GameStop corp were the ones who signed off on the decision.

Speaking to the site, GameStop’s Chris Olivera said that it was in regions where the game had already broken the street date with other retailers.

“This past weekend, GameStop made the decision to break street date and sell reserved copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in select markets where other retailers had broken street date. Our decision followed many conversations with Activision and was an effort to protect our customer base.”

Activision said in response that they hadn’t given GameStop permission to jump the gun on the early release.

“Activision has not given any retailer permission to sell Modern Warfare 2 prior to the Nov. 10 street date.  The company fully supports the Nov.10 street date,” said a rep from the publisher

It’s out on PS3, 360 and PC from November 10. Oh, what do you know? It’s tonight.

1. Yoshi

Thats what happens when a came gets hypered to foooook XD

2. OrphanageExplosion

Johnny – sort out your apostrophe hell!

3. Dannybuoy

Looks like Game.co.uk is breaking it too. I just checked the status of my preorder with Parcel Force and it says “Out for delivery” at 7.04am this morning. This means that it’s physically on the van for delivery, so i should get it today, one day early! Woo. I deserve it anyway as my original copy of Uncharted 2 went missing in the post and I’m still waiting for my claim with the Royal Mail to come back approved!

4. Gekidami

From what i understand retailers always ask courier services to deliver a game a day before the official date. Probably to make people feel that its actually worth spending the extra money on the service (out of strike). Or maybe to counter any lateness on the couriers behalf.

5. Blerk

Someone on my friends list was playing this on Saturday night. :-)

6. Johnny Cullen

I came home from Belfast last night to see one of my PSN friends playing the game.

7. Gekidami

Loads of people already have the game, some shops started to sell their reserved copies on saturday.
    On a sidenote i just called Game about my order and it turns out Activision told them not to send the Prestige editions till today to arrive tomorrow.

8. Dannybuoy

and blam, like that on my door mat. http://twitpic.com/ov99a

9. Gekidami

Your door mat looks like torn cardboard. Thats pretty shoddy. :p

10. Patrick Garratt

I’m having that, Dannybuoy.

11. Detale

Yep, my mate at work pre-ordered his from Game and got it this morning. He also has today and tomorrow booked off work, so he’s obviously psychic too.