Demon’s Souls difficulty designed to give players “a sense of accomplishment”

Saturday, 7th November 2009 21:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

demon'ssouls

Demon’s Souls director Hidetaka Miyazaki has told Game Informer that the game’s difficulty was designed so that players would feel “a sense of accomplishment” regarding the collection of souls.

“If the Souls could be recovered anytime, there would be no suspense or sense of accomplishment,” he said. “[We want players to feel] like, ‘I can’t die until I get all those souls back,’ or ‘I did it! I made it to my bloodstain!’”

For those of you who have yet to play it, souls gained through fallen enemies are lost once you die. You only regain them if you make it back to your “bloodstain” on the ground without dying on the way – because there can only be one bloodstain at a time.

Mind you, you have to fight everything again, so if you do make it back you the souls you had when you met your demise for the 800th time will be there waiting, which means double the souls in a sense.

The game is difficult, no doubt about it. Currently, the game is being played in the next room and we hear very loud obscenities coming from it as we type.

Via Joystiq.

1. Gekidami

“as we type”
    Is that the royal ‘we’ then? :D

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well, lol, the site rarely uses “I” or “Me” or “My” on here – it’s a collective ya know :-)

Suffice it to say, the man of the house is the one about to throw the controller through the TV any time now.

3. The Hindle

I so hope this game comes to the UK dont think it will though :/

4. joseangelhe

I’ll be honest, after reading the reviews I thought the game was going to be a lot harder. Don’t get me wrong it’s hard, more so than most games out there, but what I realized is that more than being hard, it’s just flippin’ unforgiving, I mean a tiny screw up, you’re screwed!

Definitely one of my top games at the moment.

5. BraveArse

I absolutely adore the game. I imported the asian version back in March I think ( god was it that ling ago ?). Still my GOTY, it’s really not for everyone but if you happen to be in the mood for a tough challenge then it’s going to satisfy that need without a doubt. Toughest game of the last decade imo, and all the better for it.

edit: @joseangelho – actually you’re right – it’s an important distinction. Unforgiving is the right word… but once you learn to take care and never rush in blindly it all falls into place.

6. Psychotext

I really must get hold of this from somewhere before it stops being sold.

7. OlderGamer

I don’t know. I was eying this game until I saw how hard it was. I play games for fun, to unwind and relax. I just san’t see the sense in spending money to get angry. I don’t think a game needs to be hard to be fun. But for those that like it that way, enjoy your game.

8. ww3pl

Stephany Nunneley
    When i click on your name near the article title, i get the 404 error.
    Why.
    God why.
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

9. tatsujin

………. I hear so many good things about this game. I have it on hold …. alright. I’ll purchase it.