Yamauchi: Forza is “different from a simulator”

Friday, 6th November 2009 13:31 GMT By Patrick Garratt

forza33

Polyphony front man Kazunori Yamauchi’s told Autoweek the Forza 3 doesn’t match up in the realism stakes to GT. Them’s fighting words.

“Some base components of the game are very different from Gran Turismo,” he said. “It’s a little bit different from what a simulator is. You can feel it when you drive it.”

That said, the dev legend has tried out the Turn 10 racer, and conceded the game bears many similar characteristics to his game. Rather obviously.

“I was watching the guys at our company trying it out in the office. I tried it a little bit. It’s very similar in a lot of aspects to Gran Turismo,” he said.

GT5′s out in Japan next March. Forza 3′s out now. Thanks, CVG.

1. Blerk

Heh heh – this will end well!

2. blackdreamhunk

hahaha

they can’t do much on them consoles that is why

lol

3. Psychotext

Silly comment really… given his only frame of reference is his own game (having repeatedly said that he doesn’t play other racing games in the past).

Still, at least he’s opening up to new ideas.

4. Razor

“It’s very similar in a lot of aspects to Gran Turismo”

Yeah, no shit.

5. onlineatron

HEY!

I emailed you guys 2/3 days ago with the interview and got no credit =(

I pointed out that Yamauchi responds to a question about beginners aids saying you’ll be able to ‘reverse your game’.

So… what do you think? Will we be seeing a Forza/DiRT rewind mechanic in GT?

6. Gekidami

He also says the GT5 has cost $60 million to make as of now.

7. theevilaires

Well I’m not trying to start anything but I’ve never seen a car do this in any Gran Turismo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iDTXYA_9nQ

8. Psychotext

Yes you are… and you do realise that when you car rolls you can control it with the left stick? Which is exactly what’s going on there. (I think it’s stupid that you can get your car to move around when it’s rolling, or on its roof but that’s another story)

But the reason you’ve never seen it do that in GT is that GT has never had damage, and it’s never had rollovers. GT does this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OxlIHfc4Q / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ0efdot1sw

9. Blerk

Heh! Looks to me like they’re both about as much of a ‘simulation’ as each other.

10. OlderGamer

I wonder if it bothers these guys, that in the absence of the geniune article(GT itself), Forza has done so well. I think if GT would have come out a couple of times here and there, that Forza wouldn’t have gained such a market share. At this point most gamers will probably not find too much a difference between the two. They will probably be happy with either.

11. Psychotext

Or both in my case OlderGamer… or at least I will be as soon as GT5 arrives (not to mention my Fanatec wheel!).

12. OlderGamer

You have no idea how badly I want one of those Logitech wheels for the PS3/PC. I could play F1 champ ed the way it should be played. I will most likly pass on GT as I did on Forza though. But I want that wheel!

13. Psychotext

Yeah, they’re a lot of fun. You can pick up the G25 for very little these days too (at least relative to what they launched for / what the G27 sells for).

14. theevilaires

Well….and again I’m not trying to start anything :D at least those cars stayed on their wheels while spinning out of control. Having a car going crazy while mimicking a ballet recital on its front bumper is just plain WTF.

and really I shouldn’t say this because I know you think I’m trying to be an ass but prologue is just a demo…something that “isn’t” the final product…..and it still “looks better” than Forza3……even though Forza3 was “released a year after” GT prologue….???….once again I’m not trying to start anything I’m sure GT5 won’t be perfect either.

15. pleasant_cabbage

Never noticed tearing or shonky framerate in Froza 3.
    Pricey demo. Easy to look good when the AI isn’t there.
    /fails at starting things ;)

p.s. like psycho I’m eagerly awaiting GT5

@12 The driving force pro is still a good wheel to use on the ps3 and you can pick it up for less than £50

16. Psychotext

Every GT game has had a similar sort of thing to that TEA. You see… if you weren’t trying to start something you’d appreciate that when you have hundreds of thousands of people playing and recording their games you’re going to see odd glitches now and again (ignoring the fact that all the player needed to do there was push their left stick).

But you are trying to start something. Go on, admit it. :D

17. theevilaires

I like Forza3 btw so yea…

18. OlderGamer

Zing!

lol

19. Psychotext

There’s also a flying car bug which happens in multiplayer on Forza 3, which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeqSEVQzY8 (admit it, there’s nothing cooler than a flying car!)

I can probably find more ammunition for you if you want. :P

20. DrDamn

Nice spin on the words there Pat. He says …

“It’s a little bit different from what a simulator is.” – you knock off the “little bit” for effect.

He says …

“It’s very similar in a lot of aspects to Gran Turismo. Some base components of the game are very different from Gran Turismo.”

Which apparently translates as “Yamauchi’s told Autoweek the Forza 3 doesn’t match up in the realism stakes to GT”.

I think the most important aspect of the article is that they are actually playing Forza 3 – which is a very good thing. They seem to have been in a bubble for a very long time and it will be good for them to see what Turn 10 have produced – which is a very, very good game.

21. theevilaires

Psychotext said: “(By the way, GT will always look better than Forza, it’s the game’s primary focus)”

OlderGamer said: Zing! lol

theevilaires said: O.G. be careful. This generation of gaming is fast and very competitive try not to get arthritis while playing some of these games.

ZING!

22. Gheritt White

ZANG!

23. Gheritt White

ZONG!

24. Psychotext

KAPOW?

25. OrphanageExplosion

If we’re doing comedy sound effects, I’ll raise you one of these:

26. Petulant Radish

Get out of my patch cabbage, always sucking up me nutrients.

GT smells of oil and Forza smells of rubber, what’s that about?

27. pleasant_cabbage

Always room for more vegetables in here ;)

28. Psychotext

lol @ “wank” image.

29. theevilaires

KABLAM!….the nickelodeon 90′s show :D

30. Petulant Radish

Wank? I mean honestly…

31. Blerk

glol! That Captain America picture is fucking priceless! :-D

32. Johnny Cullen

That Captain America pic is amazing. :D

33. Blerk

Even more entertaining is that Photobucket will let you put it on a mug! Ideal for the office!