Reggie says: “Super Mario Bros Wii will outsell MW2 on a single platform”

Friday, 6th November 2009 17:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

mw2

At around 4:27 on GTTV’s Nintendo Special, Reggie Fils-Aime confidently states that the New Super Mario Bros. Wii will “outsell Modern Warfare 2 on a single platform”.

Basically, he predicted that the Mario game would sell better than the 360 or PS3 versions of the shooter.

We choked on our sandwich when we heard that bit.

Don’t take our word for it though, listen and watch for yourself here.

1. Gekidami

Maybe, stick Mario on anything and people will buy it.

2. Psychotext

He’s possibly right you know… Mario is a heavy hitter.

3. G1GAHURTZ

I plan on getting both.

Can’t see myself playing anything else until at least July.

4. OlderGamer

He is right, I bet. But MW2 most likly outsells SMB Wii this holiday season. The thing is Mario will still sell all year long and next holiday season too. I think. Next year we could be on to a new CoD.

5. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t think that there’s much danger of missing out on Treyarch’s next CoD in 2010.

6. COG287PR

reggie is full of so much crap

7. Stephany Nunneley

Yeah he failed to give a timeframe for the winning game sales, and was smart enough not to say “holiday sales” despite his chest beating tendencies – but still, I had to laugh.

8. Panipal2005

Can’t they both lose?

9. Gekidami

To what?

10. Bikki

What a fucking joke.

11. ybfelix

I just want Mario to fail, that smug. I have as much respect to him as to Mickey Mouse.

12. The Hindle

Just watched that and hes having a joke if he thinks the Wii can bring in the hardcore this christmas.

13. Goliath

I don’t know if I misunderstood watching GameTrailers TV or if everyone else is taking what he said out of context but before he made that comment he acknowledged MW2 is coming out on multiple consoles. I think what he meant was that NSMBW would outsell Modern Warfare 2 on either one of the competing consoles whether it be the XBox 360 version or PS3 version. Not NSMBW would sell more on 1 console than MW2 on multiple platforms. The article specifically says this. So how is it hard to believe that NSMBW can outsell either when the Wii has such a huge base and it’s Mario?!

14. Johnny Cullen

I think I read somewhere the timeframe would be by January 2010.

15. Stephany Nunneley

“the Mario game would sell better than the 360 *or* PS3 versions of the shooter.”

“He did however state that it’s gonna be a close race, and he thinks MW2 will be a great game and plans on playing it.”

Just in case anyone read it wrong.

16. Gekidami

He actually calls it “The Mario game”? Thats just lazy… Yet all that needs to be said for people to buy it…

17. Dannybuoy

Yes well done Reggie. Pat yourself on the back

18. OlderGamer

Hindle, I think you might want to rethink your idea of “Hardcore” gamer. I mean just keep in mind that gamers come in all ages. My teens aren’t interested in SMB Wii, but my wife is giddy over it. Her and I will play it likly to death. Hardcore, in my book, doesn’t just mean the younger shooter/action fanbase. Sorry if I assumed something that isn’t there. I just still see myself as a Hard”core” gamer, and I am pouncing on this game.

19. The Hindle

Thats what i mean Oldergamer most teens. Most of the people who are buying the Wii now are gamers like your wife. In my opinion i just cant see any teens or early 20 somethings buying a Wii now as they just dont have the games that appeal well maybe Zelda, thats what could tempt me to buy one but it will have to be mind blowing

20. JonFE

Well, NSMB DS did sell a cool 18 million, so his optimism is not without merit. Whether it’ll actually pull it through is another story…

21. blackdreamhunk

you kow i would agree with him super merio is pretty hot.

22. Bremenacht

Mario Kart, Galaxy and Smash Brothers all outsold COD4, so why not?