Xbox 360 owners defecting to PS3 for major holiday purchases, says OTX report

Thursday, 5th November 2009 02:59 GMT By Nathan Grayson

playstation_3_logo_041106

Gamasutra‘s carrying a report from OTX’s Gameplan Insights that might just signal a changing of the multiplatform guard. Where once Microsoft took the meat and Sony choked down the gristle, things look to be flipping – starting with Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin’s Creed II.

According to OTX analyst Nick Williams, the two titles – which are the top-ranking games on OTX’s purchase intent charts – have PS3 owners ready to leave their Xboxes out in the cold. More specifically, 15 percent of players who plan to purchase the PS3 version of Assassin’s Creed II own a copy of the original stab-happy adventure on the Xbox 360.

Meanwhile, only seven percent of those who’ve prepped a place for Ezio on their Xbox 360s own the PS3 version of the original.

While Williams didn’t provide numbers for Modern Warfare 2, the story remains the same. “The PS3 seems poised to shift the ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales for most major multi-platform releases in its favor among dual owners,” he said.

More through the link.

1. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

That’s an extremely tenuous conclusion to come to from that kind of observation…

2. mortiferus

This is BS. The same was said of GTA IV. Let’s just wait until the NPD numbers are out, then poke fun at this.

3. hitnrun

Uh…unless Sony has made up all its ground in 2 months, it’s statistically impossible for these games to sell more copies on the PS3.

Or unless there’s some sudden inexplicable dislike for popular games among 360 players.

4. messy

sounds good getting tired for paying to play on live.

been mainly using my ps3 as a media player and it seems the more social gaming console for when people come over i dont know why the wii is collecting dust behind the tv.

but true about the gta comment =/ but microsoft did buy them out for DLC.

I prob get a slim if this turns out well. i dont even know how well ps3 games LAN as i dont know anyone with more than one ps3, but 360 i find people have more than one \0/

5. Psychotext

Makes sense really, even if it’s just from the perspective of port quality. For a long time I wouldn’t consider getting a multiplatform game on the PS3, but now the versions are usually pretty similar.

That said, I doubt the PS3 version of MW2 is going to have a massive percentage of sales increase over the 360 version vs the last game.

6. m3ow131

Um, I think that article is 100% false. Why? Here is why.

7. ivycrew707

@6…..what else could u guys with an xbox be playing right now? Might as well be waiting on MW2

8. revolting

Possibly previous xbox players are picking it up on PS3 because the Black version sold out on 360 ages ago. This suggests that a) it might be more out of desperation than anything else and b) assuming the same quantity of Black versions were produced for each platform, the 360 version was way more popular.

9. Freek

Why would Xbox Cod players switch to PS3? They’ve been playing on Live all this time, suddenly they are going to dump that in favor of PSN?
    Seems suspect to say the least.

10. BraveArse

Not that I care much for MW2 ( at launch anyway ), but given that MS seem to be hobbling Live’s USPs by removing them adhoc from up and coming releases surely it’s not such a huge surprise? The key phrase up there is “dual owners”. I have both consoles and if and when I get it, it’s nowhere near the sealed deal it was that I’ll be getting the 360 version.

11. WizardWeb

My upstairs neighbour recently traded his 360 because he said he wanted Tekken. He’s playing Uncharted 2 at the mo and loves it. One of my friends also swapped from 360 to PS3 this past summer due to the RROD on his 4th 360.

And my landlord who was until recently going on about buying a 360 has changed his mind and is getting a PS3 for xmas. Whilst by no means a representative slice of the UK, I still find it interesting that none of the people I know who are looking for a console this xmas are looking for a 360 and not because I’ve been promoting it, they’ve come to the decision on their own.

12. NiceFellow

While I could see some 360 owners picking up PS3 for God of War, etc. I doubt we’ll see some dramatic shift for titles like MW2 and AC – in fact, mainly due to US, I expect it to sell a lot more on 360 than PS3 just like MW and would expect AC2 to sell more on 360, too.

What is clear from the numbers is a less online centric title like Batman can actually sell more (worldwide) on PS3 than 360, and of course many known IP multiplatform titles sell more on PS3 than 360 WW like Devil May Cry, and as the PS3 install base grows those titles will show an even bigger gap in favour of PS3.

So, bit titles apart, the PS3 is in some ways looking better for developers than ever before, managing to sell more units WW with a smaller install base for some titles.

But the big Live established crowd ain’t going anywhere. It’s with the SP orientated games PS3 is seeing the most focus, which makes sense as Live makes little difference for those titles.

I think they’re also ignoring that PS3 is finally about to have it’s big hitters arrive, FF, GT5 and God of War, and these are more likely to get a 360 owner to pick up a PS3 as well than MW2 and AC2 which they will be able to enjoy perfectly well on a console they already own (note FF for Japan only for PS3, but it will make huge difference there).

13. kdogg

You’re reading the article incorrectly. It never said the PS3 version of MW2 and ACII will sell better than the xbox, it’s implying that there is an increase in people who own both consoles to purchase the game on the PS3. In all honesty, who gives a hairy fart?

14. Blerk

Assassin’s Creed, maybe. But MW2? They’ve got to be kidding, right?

15. No_PUDding

Are you all reading it or not?

This is just about platform migration, so within the multiconsole owners, more people are migrating from 360 to the PS3 than are migrating from PS3 to the 360.

Not that the PS3 version will sell more.

And this is no surprise really, as with a new price point and influx of owners, the PS3 will be the ‘new’ system people want to buy their games for this year.

16. Dralen

If this is true, the only reason that comes to mind is that xbox players are getting sick of paying for live. I am one of those people, but I mostly buy games for my PC nowadays.

17. Quiiick

Some people seem to be unable to properly read. The article clearly says:

“The PS3 seems poised to shift the ratio of Xbox 360 to PS3 sales for most major multi-platform releases in its favor among dual owners …”

AMONG DUAL OWNERS !!!

18. Cort

hitnrun, no-one is saying more PS3 copies will be sold than 360 copies. Read it properly. You may not agree with it, but it doesn’t say what you claimed it does.

19. OlderGamer

I am one of the people the article is talking about. I own all three systems. I used to have two Live gold accounts(2 xbox360s), now down to one. I let the second one expire. I also turned off the automatic renewel on the “Main” xb360. So this Feb, I will be LIVE GOLD Free for the first time in six years. I use my PS3 more and more. But that is not why I am letting Gold go. I am shifting my gaming away from the xb360 … to the PC. It is the lesser amoung the evils.
    And I am discovering games like Tourchlight(made by Diablo 1 and 2 creator), that really grab my attention. I can still play DA:O, MW2, Battelfields, etc. Less kids, no online fees, cheaper games prices, Mods, and far less premium dlc(the DA:O dlc is free on PC). I just can’t figure out why I didn’t make the switch sooner.