Valve’s Faliszek doesn’t think Brits chat enough while gaming online

Thursday, 5th November 2009 17:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

wanker

Valve’s Chet Faliszek has said that British gamers have a tendency to clam-up during online play, and just don’t chat enough, apparently.

He does, however feel that the Realism mode included in Left 4 Dead 2 will remedy the situation.

“One thing I wanted to add before I go for you Brits: communicate. Don’t be scared of a microphone,” reports CVG. “You guys are notorious non-talkers on both 360 and PC. Americans are just chattering away, working together as a team. If you want to work together as a team you’ve got to talk!

“You can go into a random 360 game on US servers and it’s crazy talk. It’s fun. I think a lot of people knock that community but again and again I’m surprised by how fun that is. I’ve played expert campaigns where by the end of it we’re best buddies.

“Realism mode will prod you – you have to talk. If you don’t talk you’re not going to make it. Instead of being harder Realism’s actually more challenging as a team because you have to communicate. When a Smoker pulls you off somewhere you’ve got to yell because nobody can see where you are.

“The first time you see people play, somebody will go in a house to get some stuff, turn around a be like ‘shit, I can’t see anybody’. It’s a scary feeling. We’ll see if that maybe stimulate the British sternness.”

OK stern ones. You heard the man. Get online and start shouting away. Throw some obscenities out there too, and while you’re at it, for good measure insult, your fellow gamer’s lineage. They’ll love you for it.

More through the link.

1. Psychotext

“Throw some obscenities out there too, and while you’re at it, for good measure insult, your fellow gamer’s lineage. They’ll love you for it.”

/not American

2. freedoms_stain

So I’m running Opera mini on my phone with picture loading turned off to speed shit up, Opera mini keeps the image frame and replaces the actual image with the filename, which in this case is ‘wanker’. Interesting!

edit: loaded the image to see, looks like more of a tosser than a wanker:p

3. No_PUDding

Steph, where did you get that picture of everyone in my family?

/is British

4. MushroomStamp

I love playin with Brits. I laugh my ass off at the shit they say. Especially when they use their version of foul language.. funny stuff.

5. Merf

exactly what is needed, a call to arms for the world to all try and sound like moronic americans whilst playing online games.

6. freedoms_stain

Whether I bother talking or not depends on who I’m playing with, if they seem cool then fine, but if they’re a bunch of dicks then I prefer to let my gun do the talkin *adopts menacing expression*.

I sometimes come up against the accent barrier, although I’m considered to have a light accent in general some people just have trouble with people who pronounce their r’s properly.

7. Gheritt White

FACK ORF YOU KYANT!

8. Stephany Nunneley

I don’t talk because usually when a gal pipes up the chatting stops. Or my accent is made fun of. Usually I just don’t play online via XBL, otherwise I would be banned for telling most to go eff themselves for being ignorant bastards.

9. Uncontested

Its cause you guys say Zed and not Zee.

I blame it all on that.

10. KommanderKlobb

Mmmmm..

One trend I’ve noticed from playing L4D is how much casual racism / racist slang you hear – pretty much exclusively from the mouths of Americans.

11. Uncontested

The mouths of 12 years old is more like it. Another reason to refuse to play games without dedicated servers. Community and Admins keep the racists away. I was a server owner/admin/etc for Convict Gaming and we had a substantial European and UK player base that co existed with Americans =p

Servers with TF2, Zombie Panic!, and about half a dozen other games which shifted in and out depending on how player trends faired.

12. freedoms_stain

A lot of Americans are over-competitive, some of them when they’re losing they like to let everyone know how they feel about the situation, and when they’re winning… well they still like to tell everyone how they feel about the situation, but in a different tone.

That said, some of the nicest players I’ve played with were American.

13. MushroomStamp

We are a violent & aggressive culture. That being said, some of you need to get thicker skin. I have been playing on live for years and rarely run across people that are being outright racist. Most of the time when comments are said, it’s just the way we express ourselves and not meant as personal attacks. Would I prefer our culture be about boobs and ass instead of war mongering… ABSOLUTELY.. but it’s not. What kills me is that people from the UK think that’s the way Americans want it. We DON’T, but there really isn’t much we can do about it. Our Corpratocracy is what it is and the people really don’t have a say in how things are run. The vast majority of us Americans are not racist or hateful, but with half-billion people your bound to get them.

14. NiceFellow

Funny, ’cause I find our beloved US cousins chat to much, often breaking immersion completely nattering about some movie or whatever as if there was nary a zombie to worry about.

The do talk tactics too, I should say, but often they just talk. Probably is better than us strong and silent and lost Brits, mind.

BTW MushroomStamp, if you don’t want something you change it, if you accept it with inevitability you are condoning it.

Personally, I think everyone should play in character, like good old Dungeons and Dragons. Put on an accent and stay in character, that’s what I say.

15. Psychotext

“That being said, some of you need to get thicker skin”

So I should just accept f*g n*gg*r j*w h*m* as part and parcel of game speak?

16. Detale

Completely put me off the MAG beta, the continuous stream of ‘n-bombs’ coming from some players. I’ve got no problem with casual swearing (I’m a prime culprit) but when that shit starts, I’m not a happy bunny.

17. OlderGamer

If your talking online to xbl/psn americans chances are your talking to kids. Or at least the ones you go away remembering. That is double so much in certian games. If you play CoD or Halo, forget it. Those games appeal to kids and are over run with them. I have thought for awhile that the headset was the worst Video Game advancment(lest on consoles). Because now every foul mouth kid with a xbox can tell you all about it. I remember playing on the DreamCast online. You typed or you didn’t chat – that put up a barrier that most kids/teens don’t have the patients to cross. Esp while playing an action game. I used to play on LIVE alot(xbox one), now every once in awhile, and mostly I have the headset plugged in, muted, and laying next to me.

18. Stephany Nunneley

If you want to chat about something other than the game, leave the game. That simple. Also, it is never acceptable to use the N-word in any connotation and that is coming from someone who grew up in the South of all places. It’s not only rude and hurtful, it’s just plain common, shameful, shows how ill-bred one is and low intelligence. Honestly though, only kids seem to say it. I have never played online with an adult that used that word. I would rather hear “fuck” uttered every other word, even the big C-word.

19. OlderGamer

“Also, it is never acceptable to use the N-word in any connotation and that is coming from someone …”

100% agree. But try going thro life as a little person. Midget is just as bad, and far more commenly used/accepted. Being a little person(elis van creveld syndrome in my case) is almost always attached to disabilities. I have had open heart surgery to renconstructive knee/hip surgery, to decompression of my spine to a rod in my neck. Nothing dibilitating about the color of someones skin.
    Just food for thought, the next time someone thinks that someones condition(that they are born with and had no choice in being) is funny.

20. Stephany Nunneley

There are loads of ugly words out there. I just used the N one as an example because it is used so much by kids gaming online.

21. Psychotext

That’s a hell of a list of work done there OlderGamer. My sympathies… I can’t even imagine what it would be like to go through that.

22. BeastModeYMOB

First off i’d like to say I love gaming with my UK homies. They are the most level headed and cool ppl i’ve talked to. On XBL I’ve ran into more racist ppl than anything, Most of them are kids too and that show’s their parents are teaching them how to be ignorant. Now on the PSN i’ve ran into some racist on there but not as bad as XBL. I think PSN is awesome for having Blutooth built in, Most parents will not buy lil jonny a blutooh because they think it’s too much money($20 and the least). XBL comes with a mic. I think what is really funny about the mic is this. I’m talkin to my team in the lobby of COD when some 12yr old is like “STFU” lol. I’m like wow is it really that serious? So my friend (he is white from NY) is like “Yo kid go to bed or put us on mute”. That lil shit had the balls to call him a ni***r and tell me to stop tryn to act black lol. I laugh just because I’m really black but I sound like a white guy on the mic. And my friend from NY is white but he sounds like he is from the hood. Sometimes I can’t stop lauging when that happens.

23. Psychotext

Cool story bro!

(Sorry :P)

24. OlderGamer

Your right Steph, there are. I was just tossing my two cents into the collection cup.

@Psycho

Its all good. I have been married for 17 yrs. Have an average stature wife, and two very healthy and average stature teen age boys. I have nothing to complain about.

I think sometimes people need to get thicker skin. Esp if they like to play online. As far as american kids playing xbox. More of em own one. If the PS3 keeps picking up steam, could become more and more of them on PSN too. Unfortunatly.

25. MushroomStamp

wow… of the several years on XBL, i can count the gamees on one hand that I meet people using blatant racist profanity. I also rarely run into kids, except sunday mornings.

26. oem

Can’t say I agree with this topic, just because we aren’t loud mouthed doesn’t mean we don’t communicate when it’s needed. And I’d like to also add that I have met many more assholes on the Xbox than PC, who are also usually American.