PS3 was saved by Wii, says analyst

Thursday, 5th November 2009 07:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim2

PS3′s on the up. Why didn’t it get crushed by 360? It was Blu-ray, games and an all-round services package focussed on media-playing, right? Not according to DFC Intelligence: it was Wii.

“The main danger Sony faced was that the Xbox 360 would become embedded as the system of choice,” says a new report from the agency.

“Instead consumers flocked to the Nintendo Wii. The Xbox 360 had solid sales, but they have not been enough to give Microsoft anywhere near a breakout market position.”

Should need for Wiis drop off this Holiday, PS3′s reduced price and the imminence of God of War III is likely to now make PS3 a viable choice for mainstream consumers, the report adds.

There’s more on Joystiq. Via CVG.

1. Robo_1

I certainly think there’s truth in that.

Had 360 sold in PS2 like proportions, I think the guys at Sony would be shitting bricks, as with the advent of gamer tags and friends lists etc. I think platform loyalty is probably more of an issue for people now than it’s ever been, and will certainly be a big factor when people are choosing where to buy their multi plat games, and which console to support next gen.

Sony screwed themselves with PS3′s pricing strategy, and they’re very lucky it was the Wii, and not the 360 which came in and swept up the big sales.

The Wii for all it’s charm and innovation, is a very different beast to the 360/PS3, and I still think theres a good chance that a fair percentage of Wii owners will also buy into one of the HD consoles.

2. NiceFellow

Well, I sort of see that arguement, but on the other hand, I’m not sure 360 would have sold much more without the Wii.

It started slow and only really gained traction with the inbuilt Halo crowd then got another big boost with Gears.

However, 360 started with huge brand disadvantage and a fairly niche core from the Xbox, so even without Wii I don’t see why folks would suddenly have flocked to it, particularly as during those first 18 months or so there wasn’t a single title on 360 that would appeal to the more casual console buyer.

TBH, without Wii, it could even have gone the other way, with 360 doing it’s thing and more people going to PS3 rather than Wii (although PS3 launch price would always have held it back, coupled with the lack of known franchises on the console for what felt like ages).

In fact, thinking about it, I disagree, I think the Wii pushed PS3 into even more focused competition with the 360 by so effortlessly slotting into PS2 space for general consumer, something I don’t think the 360 had any chance of doing during those first 18 months or so.

3. Freek

Isn’t the Wii’s audiance totally different then that of the 360 and PS3?
    There could probably be an argument to make that it was infact the first console most of these people have ever bought in their adult life.

4. The_Deleted

I agree with Freek. Just ‘cus the Wii sold, doesn’t mean that that same demographic would have stumped for the 360 instead. The whole argument for and against the Wii has been that it’s opened up gaming to an audience that otherwise has never bothered. It’s no mistake that the DS has seen a level of interest due to this new market and new way of looking at games.

5. Sethos

The Playstation was and is saved by brand recognition, “Playstation” is a massive name in console gaming and people were satisfied with the first and second “Playstation”, so the third must be worthwhile as well.

6. Bulk Slash

There’s lots of valid reasons why the Wii, 360 and PS3 are where they are today. I think another thing that helped Sony was the 360′s RROD problem. I think it damaged the brand and even though it’s apparently no longer a problem, people still cite it as a reason why they bought a PS3 or why they wouldn’t buy a 360. I think if MS hadn’t screwed that up we’d be looking at a much bigger 360 install base.

7. Tonka

HAHAHHA LOL ehat a moran
    it’s not even the same COMPANY

gLOL

8. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

9. Gheritt White

Oi, Mike Wilson, if you’re reading this – I *told* you God of War 3 was a system seller!

10. odessa

@Gheritt White

We all know analysts are always correct, amirite?

11. OlderGamer

Lets not confuse system sales with games sold. So called analysts need to keep attach rates in mind. Just because Wii sells millions of systems, doesn’t mean that millions of Wii system owners are buying games.

12. Cort

Is GoW3 *really* that big a deal? Will it really shift lots of consoles? Serious squestion. I just can’t believe that there are huge numbers of people out there who don’t yet have a PS3 but will buy one when this game is released.

13. Johnny Cullen

Simply put: yes.

If I didnt have a PS3 at this point, yet I went hands on with the demo last week, I would have said to save up for one with GOWIII.

14. Psychotext

It’ll probably be fairly big in the US / UK. Not so much everywhere else.

15. Hero of Canton

So let me get this straight: the Wii simultaneously killed AND saved gaming? Nintendo *must* be geniuses.

16. Gheritt White

I’m definitely waiting until GoW3 comes out before plunking down my hard earned cash for the system. It’s the only game on the system’s 2010 slate that tickles my fancy, plus I’m not so into Uncharted and InFamous that I’d buy a console for them.

17. Edward Cullen

@12 thats why a i bought my ps3. aside from mgs4 of course.

18. The Hindle

Dont forget Gt 5 as well, massive system seller it will be i think

19. Edward Cullen

yeah forgot about that. im saving now for that goddamn driving wheel.