Iwata: Retail won’t be replaced by digital distribution for another 20 years

Thursday, 5th November 2009 20:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

nintendoe3

During the Q&A that followed Nintendo’s financial announcement this week, president Satoru Iwata answered a question regarding the online ratio for Wii and DS, and also revealed that he does not see digital distribution replacing retail for at least another 20 years.

“Most radical people even dare to say that retailers will be replaced by digital distribution in no time, but personally, I think it will still require a significant amount of time,” he said. “In other words, it will require many years and months for the majority of video game purchase to become digital. In short, in 20 years or so I might say it will have probably changed. But in five years or so, I do not totally agree with opinions that no one will purchase titles at retailers by then.

Full transcript is through here.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. blackdreamhunk

good luck with pircay,used game amarket, high production costs and rented games.

enough said right there bu then agin nintendo does not have high production costs.

they know their place in the food chain.

2. Zarckan

Oh dear! tata Nintendo!

3. Bojangles

““Habits of life do not change such radically and quickly. Especially for the expanded audience of various people, to whom we are and will be trying to appeal, I believe their habits will change more slowly.””

Interesting sentiment given their practical overnight motion control success. Perhaps Nintendo only believe things can change when it’s Nintendo that are behind the changes.

4. OlderGamer

“Habits of life do not change such radically and quickly. Especially for the expanded audience of various people, to whom we are and will be trying to appeal, I believe their habits will change more slowly”

I don’t know. My mom owns a Wii, and she just dropped 70usd on DL games for when the grandkids come over this up and coming Thanksgiving holiday. Thats a wierd phone talk I can tell you that, telling your 60yr old mom what video games to buy and why they are good choices.

5. Dannybuoy

Foolish man! Everyone knows it’s 15 years

6. scuz

20 years is a VERY VERY long time in terms in technology

7. Blerk

If we’re still buying stuff from shops in five years I’ll be surprised. Ten years and they’ll definitely be history.

8. Aimless

Unless the quality and value of broadband in my area increases exponentially in the next 5 years, I’d say it’s a sure thing I’ll still be buying Blu-rays come 2014. Considering I live 2 miles out of town in the UK, I would agree with Iwata that it could well be 20 years before brick and mortar media stores are made redundant, especially at a worldwide level.

9. JonFE

While I certainly expect next-gen consoles to support both distribution channels (digital downloads and disk-based), I wouldn’t be surprised to see percentages changing in favor to digital distribution over time, especially if companies manage to gain the customers’ trust as far as DRM limitations are concerned (with license-transfer tools, unified accounts etc).

10. G1GAHURTZ

I certainly wouldn’t look to Nintendo for an accurate prediction of the future of gaming.

11. Gheritt White

The shift is currently pegged to have taken place by 2020, so it’s more like 10 – 12 years.