Gamestop: PSPgo’s story is “far from over”

Wednesday, 4th November 2009 12:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pspgo6

Whoa there, horsey. You thought PSPgo was toileted just because of a few slow debut sales? Gamestop exec Tony Bartel knows different.

“I think that, by Sony’s admission, you can tell by the small marketing that was done for this, that their mentality was more of a slow roll than a major launch. This was clearly different than the way that Nintendo approached the DSi, and I think that was by design,” he told Industrygamers.

“I think the story is far from over and being written on the PSPgo. I think Sony knew it was going to be more of a slow build as opposed to a right out of the gate huge release. I’m not sure that anyone that spent a lot of time working with Sony on the launch was really surprised by the way that it’s gone so far.”

Tons more through there. Thanks, GI.

1. Blerk

“No, no – we intended not to sell any! That was the plan all along!”

:roll:

2. Captain Fruitloop

I believe Gizmondo had an intentional ‘slow build’ launch as well.

3. Freek

Slow burn is a nice way of saying “Sony doesn’t know what to do with it yet”.

4. NiceFellow

Sony said it was priced for early adopters, it’s the first major digital only games platform aligned to a market presumably experiencing slow, emergent growth.

So of course it’s a long run. Also, no one really knows if there is a market for something like Go yet, so it’s also a bit of an experiment (as made clear by the firm retention and marketing of the regular PSP models).

TBH it’s sold more than I thought it would so far, as I thought price and digital only would only interest a very small number of people.

Surely no one thought at that price and with its feature set aligned to digital distribution it was going to do a PS3 Slim from day one?

5. FeaturePreacher

I think this boondoggle will get canceled. Sony will replace this and the psp-3000 with the psp-4000 that will cost the same as the psp-3000. Near the end of 2011 the first news of the psp2, with umd and 2 analog nubs, will appear.