DICE maintains dedicated server pressure on MW2

Wednesday, 4th November 2009 13:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bfbc2

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 developer DICE has published a letter from a disgruntled Modern Warfare 2 fan who’s taken the step of sending the company $60 – the money he would have spent on the Infinity Ward shooter had it included dedicated servers.

He was going to spend the money on a cake, but decided sending sweet, baked items from the US to Sweden was unwise.

DICE was quick to confirm the PC version of BFBC2 would have dedicated multiplayer servers after the Infinity Ward revealed MW2 was instead to use a closed system – IWnet – for online play.

Thanks, BDH.

1. Grimrita

Well Im not buying MW2…all my cash goes on the next Battlefield.

I also make a monthly donation to keep our servers up – which are the busiest around. WE LOVE YOU DICE!

2. G1GAHURTZ

His name wasn’t blackdreamhunk by any chance was it…?

3. blackdreamhunk

yea I am getting this game too.I’m getting the CE on top of that.

4. Razor

I could have done with that money.

5. Len

Looks like a drunk spider fell in the ink pot again! ;)

Also is the the cheque not invalid with the ‘Thank-you for

dedicated servers’ msg scrawled on it…?

6. Len

Lol Giga! Must have been one of his many pseudonyms…

So yr buying 2 copies then BDH, that’s dedication for you…?

7. Psychotext

On a completely different note… I’ve never seen a cheque written that way. Is that 00/100 part common on cheques in certain countries?

8. theevilaires

seriously man this game should have dedicated servers. There’s no excuse for it not to have them. The only reason why I don’t give a shit is because there’s no online trophies. BFBC2 on the other hand should have dedicated servers if they are going to add those stupid crazy to obtain online trophies by yourself again.

9. Psychotext

I figured you’d have liked no online trophies. Surely it’s far easier to get a platinum on a game without them?

10. freedoms_stain

The Swedish are among the most awesome peoples on the planet.

11. theevilaires

It depends on the trophies of online. If MW2 online had trophies like get 500 kills total, 10 grenade kills, 3 melee kills in a row stuff like that then I wouldn’t mind at all.

BFBC on the other hand has some stupid hard trophies like kill 8 players in 2 sec! That’s fucking hard man! 10,000 kills total is fucking unnecessary and frustrating because the game has frame rate issues and you can easily miss your targets.

Some online trophies are cool and I was hoping IW would put at least 2 in MW2 like Naughty Dog did in UC2 but oh well. The crazy online trophies like 10,000 kills or GTA4 earn 5 million are just frustrating and not fun.

It’s not all about how easy a platinum is to get really. I only want to surpass this guy on my friends list and then I’m done trophy hunting for the most part. I want to sit back, relax and enjoy games like Valkyria Chronicles without hearing that damn chime sound for a while.

12. Gekidami

Surf the wave DICE.
    May aswell because MW2 will not only outsell but out-rate BC2.

13. Psychotext

“I want to sit back, relax and enjoy games like Valkyria Chronicles without hearing that damn chime sound for a while.”

For what it’s worth, I wish VC had trophies. I’ve utterly obliterated all the content in that game. :D

14. G1GAHURTZ

Wannabe trophy whore!

15. Psychotext

I’ve always loved trophies / achievements. Couldn’t give a toss about the associated scores though. :)

16. blackdreamhunk

more news update

17. endgame

wow that’s dedication! that’s the difference between a pc player and a mere console player.

unknown 60$ sender. u r legend my friend. gg.

p.s. hope to fight by your side in bf bc2. cheers!

18. Psychotext

Of course… as a PC gamer he’s likely to have saved 10 times that by pirating all his games. :D

19. freedoms_stain

Psycho, there’s a line between ribbing and just flatout being a dick, bear that in mind eh?

20. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

I’ve no doubt BC2 is going to be a great game, but this is just downright pathetic and childish.

21. Psychotext

Did I offend you f_s? I’m deeply upset that’s the case.

22. freedoms_stain

Pirating is worse on PC than I thought, I was blogging last night about the ridiculousness of publishers holding back finished products till a specific release date when they have the technology to get it out asap now, I was rather shocked to find DA:O torrents amounting to >35,000 illegal downloads on one site alone, but then again, how many of that number have paid for a pre-order and couldn’t be arsed waiting?

It’s a complex issue and the numbers are fuzzy at best, you certainly can’t take PC gamer = pirate as a given, and unfortunately more and more cunts in the industry are taking that stance without bothering their arses to take a look at WHY people might pirate or to consider if all piracy amounts to a loss of sale.

So yeah, it’s an annoying to hear someone express such a standpoint when my GamesTracker list is as long as your leg and growing all the time.

23. Psychotext

I’m a PC gamer… but that doesn’t really change the fact that I don’t personally know anyone who actually pays for their games on the PC.

With one exception… MMOs where they have no choice (though some choose to play on private servers).

24. Gekidami

I’m getting the impression Psycho is no stranger to the old jolly roger himself when it comes to PC games. :D

25. theevilaires

he’s admitted in the past he’s pirated one game while he attended college Gek. I think the year was 1972 and the game in question was PONG :D

26. Psychotext

You’re not that far from the truth TEA. I did pirate games when I was a kid (On the Amiga no less) but I don’t now.

I don’t recall ever pirating a PC game, though I have downloaded plenty to avoid DRM and CD in drive bullshit. (After buying the game of course)

27. theevilaires

So what you’re saying Psychotext is that if you own a legal copy of the game then it’s okay to download a backup of the game in question.

28. Gekidami

Yep.

29. Psychotext

I have no idea of the legality of it to be honest, but on a moral level it suits me just fine.

30. theevilaires

Great that’s all I wanted to hear from “YOU”. Sweet now I can buy the PS3 version of MW2 and pirate the 360 version to play with G1GA on live ;)

31. Gekidami

Thats not really the same thing. :p

32. freedoms_stain

You don’t have to download the full game for a no-cd crack, just get the crack from gamecopyworld or wherever

33. theevilaires

Gek, be quiet I just want an excuse :P

34. Psychotext

I wont be buying COD on either console TEA. Whilst I’m sure you and GHz will hate me forever for saying this… I don’t rate the game (I might feel different if I played online, but I rarely have the time / inclination for online games).

35. theevilaires

GHz might hate you for saying that but I don’t. You have your hands filled from a lot of previous titles anyway. To be honest I’m getting turned off by the game because its being shown too much everywhere.

Another issue I have with it is the side effects this game can have toward the youth. I love IW multiplayer but I just can’t help to think that the US government wants kids to be trained by virtual military simulators like this to become war tools.
    I don’t know maybe its me, maybe I’ve been playing too much MGS.

36. Psychotext

“I just can’t help to think that the US government wants kids to be trained by virtual military simulators like this to become war tools”

You’ve only got to look at “America’s Army” to get the answer to that one. 8O

37. Gheritt White

#35 – SUPERB COMMENT WIN!

38. theevilaires

Yea its really an exciting game but at the same time its also depressing because of all the negativity that will follow after this games release.

-this just in, teen shoots 20 class mates in blah blah high school. teen played hours of Cod MW2-fox news

Right now we’re all praising the game for how great it will be without realizing the negative issues and problems it could have toward society in a whole. Its really taking a toll on me mentally. It has for the past couple of days to be honest. I’m just not as excited as I use to be….

I think I’m gonna go buy a Wii and a copy of Mario Galaxy tonight. I’m fucking depressed man.

EDIT: just watched the GOW3 demo quicklook over at Giantbomb :) I’m feeling better now :D

39. Gheritt White

TEA, get Bionic Commando instead. It’s proper mint.